Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 7:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,238 Posts
10/23/17 @ 8:43 AM
wisconsinblackbearguide
wisconsinblackbearguide
USER since 10/1/17

Some awefully nice bear pics this year from the lake-link members congratulations!  here are a few from our way.

Post Your Comment
10/21/17 @ 7:57 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Jak,  I am exactly 1 mile west of town right on south side of 70. The billboard now for the dentist. Just west of Coloma estates is on the edge of our property.

Will never say we are the best. Just work hard at what we do, and our lives revolve around this pursuit.  365 for us!

Edited on 10/21/17 8:14 PM
Post Your Comment
10/21/17 @ 5:59 AM
JAK79KEL
JAK79KEL
USER since 5/24/06

Thanks for the comments.  I'm new to the best hunting thing and with having to wait so long to get a tag i want to make the most of it.  Where abouts in st. Germain are you Steve?  My buddy lives on Juve rd.

Post Your Comment
10/17/17 @ 4:10 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Yes Rick, I live in St Germain. Thanks for the kind words.

JAK79KEL, he is right. Might take a few more years. This year it mostly took 11.  A few with 10 got a tag. Year before 50% with 9 did draw.  Really we just dont know. Depends on how all the numbers play out. By the looks of things. Numbers are way down the year. That may cause a slight increase next year. Either way, feel free to look me up.  It's not what we do. It's how we live 365!

Yesterday finally pulled the last cameras, and stands out. Bears on cam through the 12th on what remained. Final tally on the last day was 13 of 16 remaining baits hit.  Far better than normal, but expected.  

Not afraid to admit our worst year ever. Just lots of little bears showed up.  Which of course is good down the road. It takes a lot for one to pass, and eat a tag. That took 10+yrs to get. Very proud of those that made the choice to do just that!! 

Still trying to head to MI for the last week up there. All his baits are still getting hit hard.  No surprise with the warm weather, and lack of food up there. 

Either way already looking forward to next year. Scouting every bait site, and beyond. Seeing how the bears approach each bait, and how best to set up.  It's a daunting task, and wears out ones boots.  That next step in the bush though. Just might unlock a few secrets. At least that is what we all hope for.

Congrats to all that were successful this year!!

Post Your Comment
10/17/17 @ 9:09 AM
rickwalley
rickwalley
USER since 9/15/01

JAK79KEL...........

Many people speak highly of Steve White, who is all over this thread.

Pretty sure he is over in the St. Germain area.

Post Your Comment
10/16/17 @ 8:49 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

Unless something changes don't hold your breath expecting a tag in B with 9 points. Especially in a baiting 1st year.

Tim

Post Your Comment
10/16/17 @ 8:35 PM
JAK79KEL
JAK79KEL
USER since 5/24/06

Any suggestions for a bear guide for next season?  Looking around St. Germain as I have a buddy I can stay with.  Most likely bait, but would be open to dog hunting.  I have 8 points this year so thinking I can get a tag next year. Will be my first bear hunt.  Thanks.

Post Your Comment
10/12/17 @ 9:18 PM
Brother of the brush
Brother of the brush
USER since 1/22/12

Shot a #300 sow a few years back, came back at 17 years old.  Seems to me, took less than a year to get results.

Edited on 10/16/17 7:15 PM
Post Your Comment
10/12/17 @ 4:57 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

That's like asking how many licks to the center of a Tootsie pop!!!

Post Your Comment
10/12/17 @ 12:32 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I thought it was around 14 months maybe?  I have not seen the results of mine from last year yet.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,238 Posts