Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,273 Posts
4/3/18 @ 8:27 AM
wale
wale
USER since 2/12/13
Fairly green other than a little bit I have heard from a few people to use for bait. For the taco chips where do you find a barrel of them? 

Post Your Comment
4/3/18 @ 7:34 AM
Ratoney
Ratoney
USER since 12/11/09

Wale,

No doubt bears will eat shelled corn but I'd suggest not using molasses.  From what I've seen, it's not good on the bears' gut.  I'd steer you toward some type of jelly or fruit topping.  

You can even cook up a Kool-Aid and sugar mix (youtube it)that will help make the corn more appealing.  

Good luck this Fall,

Ratoney

Post Your Comment
4/2/18 @ 5:56 PM
samfox
samfox
USER since 3/17/09

I use taco chips early, basically corn,salt and grease. Cheap at 20 - 25 a barrel 

Post Your Comment
4/2/18 @ 12:58 PM
wale
wale
USER since 2/12/13

Got a bear tag for zone A. Just wondering what everyone is using for bait? Thinking about trying corn with some molasses for a little bit early to try to save a little money? Anybody tried corn and molasses? What were the results

Post Your Comment
2/21/18 @ 6:38 PM
Shellfish
Shellfish
USER since 7/19/03

Had 9 points.  Pulled a tag in D for this past fall.  Harvested a big boar, 402 lbs field dressed, skull 20 8/16.  7 feet in length.  Just got my notice from Boone & Crockett that my bear made it into the books.  I am pretty jacked.  

Post Your Comment
2/20/18 @ 9:51 PM
Wingbone1
Wingbone1
USER since 10/28/15

Had a hard time finding a nice bear last year. Today boss goes into a basement of on old house near me and find one sleeping. Gives me a call to come over and see it. About 3 feet from him when I took picture. He was moving around a little while I was as down there. About 350 - 400 lbs. 

Post Your Comment
2/18/18 @ 3:48 PM
Easton Ace
Easton Ace
USER since 1/27/02

I received a Zone C harvest tag with the first try.

Post Your Comment
2/17/18 @ 9:07 PM
Machickanee fisher
Machickanee fisher
MEMBER since 1/5/03
Got my 2017 bear back from the taxidermist today.

Post Your Comment
2/7/18 @ 5:08 PM
musky2day
musky2day
USER since 8/25/11

I drew with 8 points in A. Excellent !!!

Post Your Comment
2/7/18 @ 8:53 AM
Buzzbear
Buzzbear
USER since 2/6/18

Daughter had 7 points in zone D... She drew her tag and will transfer it to her 13 year old son.  We have a cabin in Douglas Co. with 13 acres... next to a vast amount of county forrest land.  I harvested a bear in 2011.  My wife filled her tag in 2013.  Neither of these two were braggers,  but you can not beat a successful - self guided hunt -on your own property.  I think i am more excited for Sept. 5th to get here than my grandson.  He loves to hunt.  He shot a 10pt buck last fall, but is worried about missing a football practice or game while bear hunting.  We have to travel 330 miles to get to the cabin, so he will have to miss about three days of school and sports.  It will be worth it for the memories he will gain!!!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,273 Posts