Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 7:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BearHillSportsman
BearHillSportsman
USER since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,246 Posts
12/18/17 @ 7:09 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

I have 6 points for A and thought maybe I can get a kill on 6 points . Oh well. I gave my son my last 8 points in 2012 . He looked last week and saw he had 9 points. I thought they took his too. He can get a kill tag any year and as soon as he is out of College he wants to go. 

Post Your Comment
12/18/17 @ 1:39 PM
Brother of the brush
Brother of the brush
USER since 1/22/12

I don't put much faith in the aging process Lakeshiner.  My brother shot a 200 pound bear that came back as 1 yr old.

Post Your Comment
12/18/17 @ 8:52 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I got my bear tooth info in the mail a few weeks back.  My bear was 3.5 years old (dressed at 348).  Younger than I was expecting, my guess was going to be 5.5.  We really do feed our bears good in WI I guess.  I'm amazed they can get that heavy in that amount of time.

Post Your Comment
12/18/17 @ 8:44 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I wonder if the updated Go Wild site lead to more preference point applicants this past year as well.  Not sure who all noticed but in 2016 you had to be a certain age to apply.  I thought people said age did not matter for preference points years ago but the site was configured to check the birth date and would fail if kids were too young. You could create a customer ID though but not buy anything.  I thought it was a bug at the time but didn't care either I guess.

This year they updated it (prior to the whole hunting age thing) so that you could start applying for kids.  I know both of my kids got a preference point in 2017 so they'd have increased the number a little bit.  I'm sure they weren't the only ones.

Edited on 12/18/17 8:44 AM
Post Your Comment
12/17/17 @ 9:14 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Wolves will eat anything you put out!

Post Your Comment
12/17/17 @ 7:46 PM
theimer
theimer
USER since 12/11/05

Most likely I will get my kill tag for 2018. Is there any bait to avoid because of bring in wolves to the area? Or for any other reason?

Post Your Comment
12/15/17 @ 9:49 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

Not sure if that busts it, that table says "Total Applicants (preference point and Class A)".  So I think its showing both those who applied for a kill tag or a preference point.  So on dog first years the guys could apply for a point and still show up on this table.

The very first table on that page seems to show it for 2017.  27,654 total people applied for a kill tag.  Not seeing a 2016 table offhand though.

Edited on 12/15/17 11:07 AM
Post Your Comment
12/15/17 @ 8:47 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

In case you did not see my post in another thread. Posting it here as well. Myth busted this morning. A bit shocked that I did not catch it sooner. That I followed the common thought process without ever checking it. While the numbers were right there for all to see. The thought that more people apply for a harvest permit in sitter first years. To avoid the dog first years. IS COMPLETELY FALSE!!! Attached the DNR applicant table for quick reference. Here is the link to the full stats! http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/documents/bearstat.pdf

Post Your Comment
10/23/17 @ 8:43 AM
wisconsinblackbearguide
wisconsinblackbearguide
USER since 10/1/17

Some awefully nice bear pics this year from the lake-link members congratulations!  here are a few from our way.

Post Your Comment
10/21/17 @ 7:57 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Jak,  I am exactly 1 mile west of town right on south side of 70. The billboard now for the dentist. Just west of Coloma estates is on the edge of our property.

Will never say we are the best. Just work hard at what we do, and our lives revolve around this pursuit.  365 for us!

Edited on 10/21/17 8:14 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 2,246 Posts