SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Moose gun, what caliber?

12/20/16 @ 8:25 PM
INITIAL POST
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Looking to moose hunt one more time, last time was 40 years ago. Took a 30-06 then, what's everyone using now? Be kind please.  Thanks

Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts
8/9/19 @ 9:10 PM
dodger
dodger
User since 9/3/01

I have a .338 Win. Mag Browning BAR for sale. Leupold Scope. PM' me. 

7/28/19 @ 2:32 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Would like to hunt in Ontario, looking for 2 bull tags. Turned down a single bull tag this year, already had a couple hunts booked. If not Ontario then Alberta.

7/28/19 @ 4:13 AM
ardeekaye
User since 12/31/09

I have a 35 whelen.. (winchester bolt) and a 300H&H.. either would be 'moosish'  they work great on elk.  where ya going for moose? Bob, Rhinelander

1/17/19 @ 7:11 PM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
User since 3/4/06

30-06 is the common caliber out of the camp we went to according to our outfitter.  With that said, my group of 4 all used .300 Win Mag.  Three successful hunters didn't have to track our moose.  They dropped in their tracks.  I used Hornady Precision Hunter 200 grain and my buddies used 180 grain.

1/5/19 @ 7:25 PM
Quester
User since 1/28/07

30-06 180 grain will work just fine!

1/3/19 @ 12:19 AM
Clearwater Alask Outfitters
Clearwater Alask Outfitters
User since 10/18/18

My current moose hunting rifle is a Winchester .270 caliber. It is a flat shooting long range hunting rifle which is perfect for moose hunting.

10/4/17 @ 2:26 AM
fullbarrel
fullbarrel
User since 6/4/03

I shot my moose in NewFoundland with my 7mag 160 nosler partition.  Kinda funny my guide said what caliber cannon is that.  He said jeez.  Most locals here use a 30-30 and that works fine.  Before my hunt i shot out to 300 yards.  Ended up calling my moose into 35yards.  One shot to the lungs.  He ran 15yards and tipped over

2/12/17 @ 10:11 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Good gun,good luck on your hunt.

2/11/17 @ 10:12 AM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Thanks for all the comments and information, I thought it was a reasonable question given the limited tags and overall cost of the hunt. I have decided on a Browning BAR 300 win mag. This will be a one time hunt for me. Thanks again.

2/11/17 @ 9:13 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Labs,you are right,but guys just like to think about things.Heck there are books written on what guns are best for different game.If you look at what the average sportsman owns in sporting goods its way over the top.I to have Alaska friends they do the same LOL.

2/10/17 @ 12:25 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

I've killed a couple bulls with a bow pulling 60# with sharp two blade broadheads so I find the whole discussion centering on big calibers a bit humerous. My Alaskan friends would crack up over this thread.

Being very large animals, physics would dictate that they absorb bullet shock better than, say, a whitetail. Consequently, they don't often drop on the spot. Nonetheless, a well-placed bullet from nearly any reasonable caliber will put them down reliably.

But, as was previously noted, if you need an excuse for a new gun, go nuts...

PS  If you can't get closer to a moose than 400 yards, you aren't trying!

2/10/17 @ 11:44 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I would use your 30/06 with a good 180grain bullet,nosler or barns.If you just want to buy a new gun 300win mag it may help if you have to shoot at over 400yds.I do most of my gun hunting with a 7rem mag but for moose,because of there size,I would prefur a larger diameter bullet 30/06 .308 dia compared to .284 for 7mag.

2/10/17 @ 12:36 AM
Taylor10484
Taylor10484
User since 1/13/11

A 6.5 creedmoor is smaller then a .308 great for whitetail but kinda small for a moose also great for target shooters.  Also a 338 lapua is larger then a 338 weatherby. If you go bigger get a muzzle break for recoil and also, I know you do not want to hear this but a little heavier gun will help also. Your shoulder will thank you. I have shot some big calibers to include .50 cal's.  A .06 or bigger will be just fine, just choose your ammo with care. It really boils down to internal ballistic and what that round will do once it enters the animal. A 7MM will work just fine also I know it is not a 30 caliber rifle being it is 27 cal. 

1/31/17 @ 9:14 AM
lookn
lookn' 4 PnY
User since 7/15/05

Thanks AK, that is great information.

1/29/17 @ 10:03 PM
AKDeer
User since 12/5/15

I've personally shot a 55" 810 pound dressed Eastern Canadian moose in New Hampshire that was #3 in the state for the 2008 season and a 59" AK moose that was Huge in the body and had a 44" neck (42" was the largest form the taxidermist could find). Both were shot with my .338  . NH moose was with 250 gr nosler partitions and took 3 bullets even though it went down on first shot I kept shooting. AK moose also took 3 hits and also went down at the first shot with 230 grain norma oryx bullets. 

My friend shot a 51" bull in Maine with my .338 and the 230 grain Norma Oryx bullets that went down on the first shot but he gave him one more when he was down. 

My friend on my AK hunt shot his 63" bull 4 times at 18 yards (he shot it 3 times once it fell) with his .300 win mag and used Norma Oryx bullets. 

Both of my kids shot cow moose with my .270 in Maine with 150 gr swift A frames (one shot each). 

I was personally in on each of these kills and can tell you to use a heavy bullet for the caliber you use. The bullet damage and penetration was best with the Oryx bullets as I butchered all of these animals. 

I have read and and believe that it takes a minimum of 44 seconds for the moose to expire no matter how many times you shoot it because of its size in relation to the low heart rate of large animals (8 beats per minute for an elephant). I always have shot until there was no movement just to be sure when you have so much invested and to make it as humane as possible. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 33 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE