Hunting Leases

12/7/14 @ 8:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
stangl52
stangl52
USER since 6/23/06
I have come to the realization that to have good hunting in this state you either have to be a rich man and buy land (which I am not) or lease land. The days of hunting harder and longer and smarter than the next guy on public lands, and have quality hunting is long gone never to return. However, it seems like in southern WI, every landowner I have ever approached for hunting either has family hunting, other groups of guys, or is already leased. So............how does one go about finding land to lease? The door to door thing has never really worked for me, at least for deer. Have gotten on places for small game and/or turkeys. But no luck with deer. Is there a website that I am missing that has some leases listed? is it worth the money to put adds in the local papers? I am looking mostly in SW Wisconsin (Grant, Iowa, Sauk)?? Having never leased, what is an average rate for a lease in this area? any info will be appreciated. Now back to researching my 2015 Western Hunt plans. Mulies or Elk.......tough call! Hahaha! =Smile
Edited on 12/7/14 9:01 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 Posts
12/7/14 @ 2:48 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
Stangle, there is good public land all over the place!!! Just kidding. I agree though "going back in further" is where everyone else is. I always thought 20 bucks an ac. is the norm for central or southern Wis. I don' agree with y about bad public land will be bad forever though. WIth 26,000 gun licenses that were not sold compared to last year , somewhere . sometime the pressure has to let up. In Sauk I bet you pay 25-30 ac.

Post Your Comment
12/7/14 @ 10:52 AM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
As you probably recall, I lease out 80 acres in Marathon county for $2,000 per year (all seasons and species). Prices in southern WI are likely to be higher, but I when I find out about a landowner who is leasing, the rates are all over the board.

The lease market is not very centralized. There was a place called RAM asset management that tried to be a lease broker, I don't think they still exist. I few real estate brokers do a little of it, you can also find leases on Craigslist, etc. sometimes. It appears that finding tenants if you have land to lease is much easier than finding a lease. In central WI, there was a guy who put a lot of signs up in local bars that he was looking to lease, but I don't know if he had any success.

Good Luck!

Post Your Comment