Hunting leases . . . how to find, how much and where?

12/7/15 @ 12:33 PM
ORIGINAL POST
TipDown!
TipDown!
USER since 3/1/11
I am looking into leasing land for bow/gun deer and turkey hunting. I am looking for something within an hour or so of home (Arena, northwest of Madison) and has around 100 acres (give or take) of ground. If you lease could you chime in on what you pay per acre, where you found out about the lease from, and if you are looking to lease land please contact me ASAP I would appreciate it. I am a responsible hunter with a group of three others (my dad, brother and my son). Thanks, TipDown! Cool
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
1/16/16 @ 11:33 AM
TipDown!
TipDown!
USER since 3/1/11
Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. If anyone knows of someone looking to lease land or sees an ad for leasing hunting property, I would appreciate a PM. I am open to more suggestions also.

Again thanks for the information,

TipDown! Cool

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 3:55 PM
red rover
red rover
MEMBER since 8/19/12
I lease out 80+ acres of mixed ag and marshland to a husband and wife for $500 yearly...ducks deer and trapping. They also do some land upkeep and chores around the farm. Lake Poygan area

Post Your Comment
1/12/16 @ 12:46 PM
Greenheads4Ever
Greenheads4Ever
USER since 2/9/03
We pay $1250 between 4 guys on 65 acres in Westfield. It's very reasonable. In the same area $2000/40 acres seems to be the avg.

Post Your Comment
12/8/15 @ 6:29 PM
My3Sons
My3Sons
USER since 4/24/07
TipDown,

A buddy of mine and I are also looking for a lease of approximately the same acreage. We live in Barneveld so same general area. If I hear of something that doesn't work for us, I will gladly let you know. If you run into something that doesn't work for you, message me. Hope you find what you are looking for. Not much out there.

My 3 Sons

Post Your Comment
12/8/15 @ 3:52 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
Ask around and keep looking online and in the paper on a regular basis. There are a lot of people looking for leases in the good areas. We had a lease a few years ago that we got through word of mouth. It was 67 acres of thick heavy woods 2 miles down the road from our main farm in Northern Marquette Cty. Not ideal terrain, but close enough to agriculture that deer moved through it or bedded there regularly. I don't remember the exact price. I think it was $1200. Unfortunately we lost the lease because they had family that wanted to hunt there. We are still in the market for a lease, but nothing close enough to the main farm and in our price range has become available. They are very hard to come by.

Post Your Comment
12/7/15 @ 9:05 PM
BigTymer
BigTymer
USER since 12/27/01
There is a group on Facebook called Wisconsin hunting land buy/sell/lease. Right now it's mostly land for sale and people looking for leases.

Post Your Comment
12/7/15 @ 9:03 PM
Fish Hound
Fish Hound
USER since 1/29/02
We lease 120 acres for $2000 a year in Waushara County.

Post Your Comment
12/7/15 @ 5:45 PM
joeywadu
joeywadu
USER since 5/13/02
Land Man made a great point. We also found our lease from an ad in the local paper. Check with relators, local papers, buyers guides, online websites etc. I'm getting older and would not hunt if I had to hunt public land. We know where everybody is at any given moment throughout the day

good luck

Wadu

Post Your Comment
12/7/15 @ 4:32 PM
MathewsMan
MathewsMan
USER since 5/17/02
A good lease is getting harder and harder to come by. I'd say that in the areas your looking $20-$35 an acre is common. Possibly much more. Depends if there's lodging and the quality of deer. Leases in the trophy areas of WI command top dollar and are hard to come by. I own pretty good ground in Vernon county and at times think about leasing at least for gun season and am always looking to buy more that I would lease for all seasons. Good Luck.

Post Your Comment
12/7/15 @ 3:57 PM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
I lease my 80 acres in northern Marathon county for $2,000 per year. I have done so for a number of years. I have a waiting list of people who want to lease it if the current tenants leave.

I found my first tenant when he ran an ad in a local paper wanting to lease land. I found my second by running an ad in the same local paper for 1 week. I found my third by word of mouth.

It is MUCH easier to find tenants than it is to find land to lease.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts