Gut Piles

12/9/15 @ 5:18 PM
ORIGINAL POST
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
I seen on another thread where the guy took the deer back to the building to clean because he doesn't like gut piles on the land. wondering what the logic is behind that? I have seen lots of trail cam pics where people put cams right over the pile and I don't see any negatives to them. I think it's a little paranoid to be worried about a gut pile on the land. thoughts?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 17 Posts
12/18/15 @ 6:42 AM
Todd Young
Todd Young
USER since 6/25/15
Never thought about not gutting a deer where it dropped. I guess I see some of the guys points scent etc. Gut piles usually don't last long.

Muddy Creek Fishing Guides
(724) 674-3839
Post Your Comment
12/16/15 @ 4:24 PM
Granpa
Granpa
USER since 2/4/05
Don't get me wrong, when I hunted Northern Highland State forest I gutted my deer where they dropped. No sense dragging all that extra weight. But I hunt my own land now and I sweat very little when three of us load my buck on my four wheeler. Rainbow Runner you must like to sharpen knives to stick them in the ground like that. That will dull your knife in a hurry. Of coarse if you always have to buy new ones that is probably not a problem. LOL

Post Your Comment
12/16/15 @ 12:35 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
USER since 5/31/02
As far as scent problems, the biggest one would be you sweating your balls off dragging one out.

Got a good LOL out of that one.

This year I left my damn knife stuck in the ground after field dressing my deer. Second time I have done that (same knife). Went back the following day and the gut pile was GONE, I mean there was no trace of it. Never did find my damn knife.

Really wonder what drags off those gut piles.

Nicolet National Forest.

Post Your Comment
12/10/15 @ 3:22 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
I gutted one in the woods behind my house during a late season bow hunt and a week later we had a feral cat in our window with a red face. Looked like the joker, we know what he found. Kind of creepy, just staring at us with that bloody face. Worried

Post Your Comment
12/10/15 @ 3:10 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15
I'm of the opinion that you can do whatever you want as long as it doesn't disturb your neighbors.......

.......That works unless your neighbors are pr!cks, as highlighted on some other threads.

Just sayin'

Post Your Comment
12/10/15 @ 2:58 PM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
I think it's all in what you believe. Few years ago with the wonderful EAB I shot a doe. Gutted it where it dropped. 2 morning later shot 18" spread 11 pointer that came in to sniff at the gut pile. Had two gut piles within 5 feet of each other.

Post Your Comment
12/10/15 @ 2:42 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
I'm of the opinion that you can do whatever you want as long as it doesn't disturb your neighbors and isn't illegal. I hunt private land and I gut my deer where they fall unless it's a nice one I want pictures with. Then I'll drag it to a nice spot for a pic and then gut it afterward.

Post Your Comment
12/10/15 @ 1:14 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
MEMBER since 7/24/01
My situation is a unique one because we live on the land that is hunted. In the past they were gutted where they fell. I have since learned my lesson the hard way about that. Those gut piles call out to our dogs for months and months. The dogs seem to find them in no time and start to feed, chew, and roll in them. First it makes them sick and last it makes us pay for that by having to clean up the puke and smell the fragrance of a rotting gut pile on our dogs. Now there will be no gutting anymore and they will need to do that somewhere else. Guy hit a buck with a bow this year and it came into our land. He asked to trail it and I obliged, but he could not find it. Guess what, our dogs found it and now I am paying for it. Should call him up and make him clean this mess up everyday for being a crappy shot.

Now I'll add another disgust that I have for hunters who call themselves human beings that should never be allowed to hunt again. Head shots on deer. REALLY!!! you are disgusting POS if you believe that is a acceptable manner to shoot a deer. After you leave and go home for the year I have to sit and watch that deer with no jaw slowly starve to death. I have heard it before from hunters who do that.... "I never miss". BULL S---!!

Post Your Comment
12/10/15 @ 11:24 AM
waltereye sr.
waltereye sr.
USER since 6/25/01
Ditto on both of Grandpa's posts

Post Your Comment
12/10/15 @ 11:13 AM
Granpa
Granpa
USER since 2/4/05
Forgot the most important, enjoying a celebration brew while dressing it