DNR Screws with My Daughters Bear Hunt

9/14/15 @ 10:57 AM
ORIGINAL POST
rgbowhunt
rgbowhunt
USER since 6/26/12
My 11 year daughter is quite excited to be going on her first bear hunt this year! We have been driving 3 1/2 hours each way up to our land twice a week since the beginning of August baiting. She will be hunting over bait which starts on Sept 16th. I was up on the 11th and found out the DNR JUST started trapping bears on my neighbors property THIS week(Sept 7th). My neighbor rents her farmland and the renter contacted the DNR about crop damage due to bears. My daughters baitstand is within 300 yards of their trap. As of Sunday they have trapped 2 bears and relocated them. The biggest one we have had on camera was around 300lbs. The 2nd bear they trapped just happened to be around 300lbs. My daughter is a bit upset. Couldn't they have waited maybe til after the first weekend of the hunt to trap?!! Will they offer to help me out like the farmer? I've got around $750 invested into gas, bait, license, not including my time off work to have this happen. It just seems screwed up to me the timing of it.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 33 Posts
10/18/15 @ 7:47 PM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
Great, glad she bagged one.

Post Your Comment
10/5/15 @ 7:05 PM
Dairyland1
Dairyland1
USER since 12/8/08
Well this is good to see. I'm very happy that you and your daughter were able to tag one in spite of the DNR doing their job. Looks like this turned out good for everyone. Although I'm still trying to figure out how to go F--- myself. But I digress. It really is cool to see that your daughter was successful and that she was able to accomplish this with her Dad.

Post Your Comment
10/5/15 @ 11:06 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
USER since 3/8/04
So I guess in the long run, the DNR did not screw with your hunt. Glad to see that she was able to harvest a quality bear.

Post Your Comment
10/5/15 @ 10:48 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15
Awesome. Congrats on a great bear.

Post Your Comment
10/5/15 @ 8:29 AM
rgbowhunt
rgbowhunt
USER since 6/26/12
We finally saw a nice one, 317lbs dressed.

Post Your Comment
9/29/15 @ 1:03 PM
rgbowhunt
rgbowhunt
USER since 6/26/12
It is the DNR trapping. Yes we're still hunting and seeing bears, just nothing over 150lbs yet. Set up another bait site 3/4 mile away but basically the same smaller bears spotted. She's not giving up!

Post Your Comment
9/29/15 @ 10:18 AM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
First is it the DNR trapping them or the Dept. of Ag?

You put all your eggs in one basket and then the state did what they deemed neccessary. It sucks but it's time to suck it up and move on, are there bears coming into your baits yet? Did you set out new baits?

Post Your Comment
9/29/15 @ 8:49 AM
fishy
fishy
USER since 1/12/02
This is why I stay away from corn fields-even in the North bear will be trapped off of a farmers field-same thing with big resorts or campgrounds- bear will be trapped. Its a hard lesson to learn and I feel bad for the girl-maybe the post will help the next hunter and save them the grief. But life is full of disappointments and certainly not fair-but this makes a good life lesson if nothing else. Good luck you never know when something is going to come in.

Post Your Comment
9/28/15 @ 1:32 PM
Dairyland1
Dairyland1
USER since 12/8/08
RG

Will do.

Your last post speaks volumes. Enjoy your hunt.

Post Your Comment
9/28/15 @ 9:50 AM
rgbowhunt
rgbowhunt
USER since 6/26/12
I wanted to give 5 pints of blood on Friday before I went up North but after 1 pint I was feeling weak(How Selfish of me). So I went to Kwik Trip and got a sandwich and 2 cookies, as I left the store a homeless guy was asking for food so I gave him my sandwich and only 1 cookie(How Selfish of me). On the way up north I stopped and helped a lady change her flat tire but I didn't give her gas money(How Selfish of me). A few miles down the road I pulled a guy out of the ditch. He had some damage to his car but I didn't give him money for repairs(How Selfish of me). I finally stopped at my 76 year old neighbor by my cabin and cut her grass. She gave me a piece of apple pie, and I took it(How Selfish of me). J/K of course but I'm far from selfish. I do let Bear Dog Hunters hunt my 400 acres. "Dairyland 1" you can GFY!! I think it's Selfish of a farmer who rents land and plants corn EVERY year just to make a dollar. Ever hear of rotating crops? Then he also expects to wipe the area clean of the animals. He's just USING, ABUSING, then LEAVING! And that is what I am doing is enjoying the time with my daughter. We have seen 3 cubs without their Mom 2 different days since the traps have been there. I guess a hunter could have shot her but I also believe she could have been trapped and moved from the area. Were still hunting waiting for something around 200lbs or bigger.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 33 Posts