LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Deer tagging Regulation inserted into state budget.

6/28/17 @ 12:45 PM
INITIAL POST
ere
User since 2/22/07

I'm not sure if there is a thread on this or not. But Joel Kleefisch has inserted into the state budget a rule change eliminating tagging all together. Any thoughts?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 63 posts
11/1/17 @ 10:18 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I think in that case more does would get shot because everyone would be filling their tags.  When its buck only and say you got 5 guys you might shoot 1 or 2 bucks.  If they could shot anything you'd probably end up with 1 or 2 bucks and 3 does.  With less does you'll end up with less deer. 

I think even though there are plenty of people who won't shoot a doe when the herd is down, there are plenty who don't give 2 chits either.  One year I met a guy who had wounded a doe and lost it, was out the next day to shoot another one.  Had his bait pile 50 yards off the firelane and he told me since the DNR had the tags, it was all fine.  Technically he was right, but it also showed how people will exploit it.  He was from out of state so he really didn't have much skin in the game.  I also know in-state guys who travel up north and will shoot anything they have a tag for.  The last time we had all the doe tags available, we showed what people will do.

I think the herd is more balanced up north than people think.  I see more does during the day, but I get more bucks on camera at night.  If I just went by day time sightings I would think its out of whack.  I think fawns keep does moving more too than a single solitary buck.

11/1/17 @ 9:58 AM
JAK79KEL
User since 5/24/06

I never thought of it that way.  Good points.  I just wonder why not 1 deer per tag. Seems there would be a better balance of the herd and also a more satisfied hunting community.

10/30/17 @ 9:38 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Jak the  argument you present supports buck only.  A buck normally breeds more than 5 does from the research I have read.  So don't need as many bucks.  Does are breeding stock and their offspring are breeding stock, need to be protected.  The analogy I use, I don't know if you were raised on a farm or not, think of a beef farmer.  They only sell off steers (males) as they grow their herd.  Once the herd has reached the desired size, they cull the herd to maintain a size the farmers resources, (pasture, crops) can support.

10/30/17 @ 5:54 AM
JAK79KEL
User since 5/24/06

Buck only isn't the answer.  In my opinion shooting a buck will cause more damage.  How many does can a buck impregnate in a season? More than 2 I bet.  How many fawns does a doe have in a season? 1 maybe 2 if lucky... Something to think about ...  still think 1 tag to shoot 1 deer of either sex should be standard.  Then extra doe tags as needed.  Where i hunt in Vilas all we see are does.  Used to see more of a 1 buck to 3 or 4 does ratio with nice bucks mixed in, now a nice buck is sadly just a legal one.

10/29/17 @ 7:23 PM
JAK79KEL
User since 5/24/06

Buck only isn't the answer.  In my opinion shooting a buck will cause more damage.  How many does can a buck impregnate in a season? More than 2 I bet.  How many fawns does a doe have in a season? 1 maybe 2 if lucky... Something to think about ...  still think 1 tag to shoot 1 deer of either sex should be standard.  Then extra doe tags as needed.  Where i hunt in Vilas all we see are does.  Used to see more of a 1 buck to 3 or 4 does ratio with nice bucks mixed in, now a nice buck is sadly just a legal one.

10/29/17 @ 3:19 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Jak,....  Depends where in Vilas county you hunt, northern Vilas has been buck only for 9 years with no real increase in doe numbers. It should remain buck only until the do something with the wolves.

10/29/17 @ 5:31 AM
JAK79KEL
User since 5/24/06
I guess my comment had multiple points.  Seems like the county I've been seeing the most does is Vilas which is buck only. But I hunt "multiple",  which means more than one, other counties that are not buck only.  So it makes it a guessing game as to where the best chance is for a doe.  Hence not wanting to waste money on "multiple" doe tahe for "multiple" different counties. Why not have a tag be either for one deer either  sex and then sell extra doe tags as needed to meet "management" goals of the high and mighty dnr?  Seems every kind of Hunter would be satisfied then.  Seems pretty simple. Clearly current and past overcomplicated strategies of the dnr have not worked out as planned.
10/28/17 @ 9:14 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

" so i have to guess which one i think ill have the best chance at a doe. "

Seems to me it makes it much easier, since if it is Buck only, low number of does most likely, large number of antlerless tags, greater number of does..

10/28/17 @ 6:35 AM
JAK79KEL
User since 5/24/06

The county specific doe tags are a joke. Really limits my hunting opportunities as I'm not fortunate enough to own private land. I hunt public land in multiple counties so i have to guess which one i think ill have the best chance at a doe. Surprisingly this year so far Vilas seems to be that county. Oh wait....buck only still thanks to the jack wagon dnr contributing to herd decimation there... I'll be darned if I give extra money for a doe tag in every county I hunt....

10/25/17 @ 8:36 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

You will need your federal stamp and your Go Wild card.  Or you can use your driver's license in place of your Go Wild card.

No tags need to be carried for deer, turkey, or small game.  Its all linked to your card or driver license now.  The only time I carry a fishing license is if I'm on Lake Michigan, which is required yet.  I think that has to do with maybe being a boundary water and the MI DNR would not have access to the WI DNR database.

10/24/17 @ 4:21 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I hunt two counties, my buck tag is good statewide.  My primary is Marquette so I chose that and got three doe tags.  I purchased one more for Jackson county for $20 extra.

10/24/17 @ 9:35 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

It was like that last year as well, I think this is the second year where you had to specify your county for the antlerless tags.  If you select your tag on the Go Wild site it will tell you where its good for.  Also if you save the PDF document when you buy the tag it should say on there as well.

10/24/17 @ 8:04 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
Not sure what you mean, but I don't think it is that confusing.  I believe you are referring to the antlerless tag for farm units in which you have to state public or private.  Those are only valid for farmland units.  You can hunt wherever you want and in any county, but the farmland antlerless tags are county specific.  
10/23/17 @ 8:55 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Now that you have to specify which County you are going to hunt and public or private land . What do you do if you have private land available in two adjacent County's ? 

Can you only hunt one ? Or just lie when you register  ? 

Still on the same type of land (private ) with similar management goals .

Very confused on this ,and did not see anything in the rules  .

9/29/17 @ 2:06 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
Displaying 1 to 15 of 63 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE