Deer Slaughter Continues

7/28/15 @ 3:06 PM
ORIGINAL POST
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
Just checked on bonus tag availability - http://dnr.wi.gov/permits/bonusavailability.html Washburn County, NW Wisconsin. Washburn County CDAC voted to increase the herd. Record bad winters in 2013 and 2014. Buck only in 2014. 825 public land antlerless tags available, and 3325 private land antlerless tags available for 2015. Discuss this joke....
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts
8/24/15 @ 8:09 AM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13
In my county the whole thing was kept very very quiet. No publication in the local paper of meeting times etc. The whole thing was going to get ramrodded through to actually lower a historically low deer herd even lower. That's when letters to the editor giving dates and names of those voting to lower a deer herd comes in. 50 angry sportsmen and women showing up after another horrific deer season does wonders with government employees. The major problem I still have is why do we have to constantly watch and stay one step ahead of the government employees who are supposed to be managing the deer herd. The county foresters moaning about overbrowse with deer herds in my area at forty year lows is pathetic also. As far as I'm concerned these foresters had better remember that they are supposed to be managing for wildlife including deer. We still have a large contingent of radical environmentalists managing our big game populations in the state of Wisconsin. The proof of that is only predators are getting protected right now . You can see that with a simple walk in the woods ,the woods are almost lifeless nowadays. No rabbits,few deer ,hard to find squirrels or any form of life. This is not a habitat issue it is an out of control predator population that has wiped out almost everything. An out of control predator population artificially propped up by an out of control WDNR. Careers in Madison should be ending over this debacle.

Post Your Comment
8/23/15 @ 9:59 PM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12
FarNorthBadger, I am on the Eau Claire County CDAC, I agree with some of your comments, but not all. I agree, that the board's composition is slanted towards towards non-hunting entities. The chair, CC member, can vote. Secretary, also a CC member cannot vote. The CDAC's were formed due to the recommendations in Dr. Kroll's report. I do not know for sure who determined the make-up, but from what I have gleaned, it was determined by a political entity more so than the DNR. I can say first hand that the CDAC can vote to increase the herd and set numbers to do that and those numbers were not changed by the powers above. The biggest issue that I see is that there is no defined objective, ie, what is the correct deer herd size that balances the hunters wants and the other stake holders wants. Because of this it become a guess, an unknown equation, subjective to the individual, it inherently causes bias by the stakeholders instead of working towards a common goal. The EAU Claire CDAC largely came together and left the bias out of the equation, but this next set of meetings is a whole new year, and who knows. I can say that all the members want public input and the public input does carry weight. It can work, but I also can see where the CDAC concept could easily fail.

Post Your Comment
8/23/15 @ 4:51 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13
The CDACs were set up heavily slanted to keep the deer populations extremely low. One vote from tourism ,one vote from a sportsmans group,for higher populations. All the rest ag,forestry,county Hwy and Dmap ( whatever that even is) for ultra low populations. . And to top it off make it seem like the CC has a say in the deer populations also ,but make sure NOT to give them a vote. All of that set by the WDNR for the WDNR to ensure an ultra low deer population. And make it look like they are trying to do something about it. Which is how you have the worst hunting in decades AND the biologists in charge of this mess STILL get to sell antlerless doe tags at $12 bucks apiece. So if you are a deer hunter or own a 40 or an 80 you have been sold out one antlerless tag at a time. It's no wonder the entire deer hunting tradition is collapsing across the Northwoods? Maybe that's the intent.

Post Your Comment
8/23/15 @ 7:24 AM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12
Tim_T, spot on.

Post Your Comment
8/22/15 @ 6:48 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
They had their chance to get involved with the CDAC meetings. If they're griping now and didn't attend, that's too bad. They gave up their right to gripe if they didn't attend/vote. It's just like general elections. You didn't vote, you lose your right to gripe.

Tim

Post Your Comment
8/22/15 @ 3:53 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13
Call your State Representatives and and Senators. Find out the names of those involved in setting the antlerless quotas, it would have been done by the CDAC board. Start writing letters to local papers naming names and giving phone numbers and emails out. Then let the hundreds of other frustrated sportsmen and recreational landowners get involved.

Post Your Comment
8/1/15 @ 10:34 AM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12
Same thing at Eau Claire County CDAC. When asked for specifics, a 10 acre area of the start of over browsing and 1 farmer in the crop damage program. For over browsing, crop damage, car-deer collisions, their is a common denominator, the deer have to actually exist. It will be interesting to see if there is a herd increase on public land in the state. I hope I am wrong, but from what I have seen and from talking to others it does not sound good. It takes adult deer to make little deer and there seems to be a big shortage of adult deer.

Post Your Comment
7/31/15 @ 10:33 AM
BeerTownFyreman
BeerTownFyreman
USER since 6/15/01
Like I said, I agree it's odd to see harvest under an increase.

If I was you, I would relentlessly pursue contact with the forester representative on your committee. I'd ask him to share with you the locations of over browse occurring on public land in the county. I'd let him know that I was a hunter, and interested in harvesting animals and have had a hard time finding public land locations that hold animals. Given his current statements regarding his stance on the population, he should have several areas of over browsing on/in forested areas of public land and should be more than willing to help you find them in order to help protect against over browsing.

Either he answers, and you get some ideas on where past logging operations have resulted in over browsing and you find some areas that will offer more opportunities... or he doesn't and you can publicly call him out on that.

Same-same for the agriculture rep. He made statements to over browsing and also made comment as to some farmers needing help. Get in touch with him and relentlessly request the names of these farmers who are struggling with this severe over browsing and are looking for help in reducing deer pressure. Either you get access to private land to help... or he can be called out too.

Post Your Comment
7/31/15 @ 9:57 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
The three year average before the buck only should be taken with a grain of salt. After the brutalizing winter of 2012-2013, the permit availability increased if I remember correctly, even though the winter severity index was severe and the DNR knew there would be a massive winter kill. That was a point of contention at that time to begin with. If you look at the harvest numbers, the buck kill continued to spiral downward before the buck only hunt. That, to me, is a sign of overkill.

I have hunted the county forests of Washburn County for years, and the deer population is almost non-existent. To even have any public tags available is a shame to say the least. The forestry rep to the council likely would rather see no deer, and would never vote to increase the herd. They simply want trees and the money that goes along with them.

Post Your Comment
7/30/15 @ 2:55 PM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
Well said and researched Beertown. Smile

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts