Deer Deaths!

2/1/16 @ 12:20 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04
Numerous times I have gotten into debates with folks. Over what predators are killing off the deer herd. There is an ongoing study in MI that many are aware of. The study results are clearly finding the exact same thing my own commons sense has long said. Bears are opportunistic at best. Going to be real interesting when they get to the deep snow portion of the study. Things will greatly change then in those areas. Because we all know deer yard up in deep snow areas. So where do you think the wolves go. In fact just talking to a friend in MI 2 days ago. May have me train a few dogs for him this month on cats. Since the deer have moved to the yards. So have the cats. So have the wolves. As he said it. Your screwed for cat hunting here now! But common sense logic to things is lacking in today's world. So we need expensive studies to prove what many already know. So this year we will need a new scapegoat. So wolves dont get any blame in it. I nominate the fisher for this. An aggressive predator that surely is killing all the fawns now. I will begin a study on this as well. Please send your donations to help fund this to my home address, LMAO!!! http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2016/01/predator-prey_study_wolves_not.html
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
3/28/16 @ 5:04 AM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Common sense and my .02 cents - north of Hwy 8, compared to 40 yrs ago, wolf numbers are up, bear numbers are up, yote numbers are up. Crop acreage is way down. Legal doe kill was increased in the 90s. The declining deer population is from a perfect storm of all these and the legal kill is the only factor that can be controlled in the short term.

Somewhere in there we have to look at poaching but who has valid data for this? Regional car kills need to be looked at. Logging trends need to be looked at.

A true analysis looks at all these and more. To make a long story short, you will never get back to the deer population of yesterday. There is too much pressure and too many factors, natural, social, political.

Post Your Comment
3/28/16 @ 1:39 AM
pokem n smokem365
pokem n smokem365
USER since 10/30/12
About 50000 deer get hit every year by vehicles in wisconsin I doubt wolves eat that many in my opinion there not the ones to blame.

Post Your Comment
2/2/16 @ 8:57 AM
Fishy1960
Fishy1960
USER since 10/15/15
When I was growing up in Hayward in the 1970's very few people if any fed deer. In fact no one that I knew even baited-it was completely legal as far as I know-but no one did it. It probably was not socially acceptable since anyone could hunt anywhere and no one really cared if you made deer drives or hunted on the neighbors acorn ridge.-WOW how times have changed!

Back then the deer migrated to logged off areas or cedar swamps. Even with our hard winters in 2012 and 2013 the deer stayed in rural populated areas where people fed them. I wonder if feeding is banned in our area Of Bayfield and Sawyer County- will the deer return to these areas-I'm guessing yes or they will starve.

One picture I have in my mind that I cant get rid of is from driving around the Namekagon River in 1977 or 1978 on River Road in Southern Bayfield County. The time of year was late March- deer were standing in the river-have dead and the banks of the river were scattered with dead deer- Eagle were feeding on the deer-but I don't remember seeing or talking about wolfs-they were not here yet.

Interesting how things change-or do they?

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 9:23 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04
No reason for them to yard up in most of northern WI right now. I been deep in the bush a lot over the last couple months. I can tell you there are places that surprised me even this past sunday. With snow over knee deep. Either wind blown or not melted at all in those areas. However really no game in those spots either. Once under the canopy for the most part less than 6" on average. Some spots almost bare ground even. So the deer are doing fine in that regard so far. The UP is a different animal. Parts of it got 2ft plus last week. Some are also saying far less wolves after deer season up there. Who really knows for sure. I do know that around here in southern Vilas/ Northern Onieda counties. There has been a population explosion of wolves. It almost seems like some sort of mass migration from the big tracts of forest. To the ones closer to and around homes/ towns. I did not see the tracks, or any sign all summer through December. That I am seeing now. I am refusing to tally up all that I have seen around my area. If I did would scare me more than it already does. Conservatively I bet the number would quickly go over 50 in this area alone!! I'm telling you. HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!! Anyone that has any doubts is more than welcome to come go for a ride. Plenty of coyotes, and cats around as well. Numerous fisher, and of course we have a couple of bear too. So between us hunters, and the predators the deer are in big trouble. Get another bad winter might have to put them on the endangered list here!

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 6:12 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
Nice hearing form ya Steve. I didn't know there was a study in Michigan. I'm sure wolves will kill a lot of yarded deer. How many will die from wolves that are ready to fall over anyway if they are in the yards? I am not being snotty. I just wonder if you take all the deer killed by wolves , how many would die anyway. That is kind of the real wolf kill, they one that would have made it till spring. In northwest U.P there is enough snow for them to go into the yards. I don't think the deer are yarded yet in Price co. There is about 12" in Phillips. Not too bad , and very mild to boot. Should be a good winter for the deer. Cross your fingers hope the north doesn't get any big snowstorms. Hunting will be noticeably better this fall if winter stays calm.

Post Your Comment