SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

December hunt

12/4/14 @ 1:40 PM
INITIAL POST
bukslayin
User since 1/25/09
With the deer kill being the lowest in 30 years for gun season would you all agree the DNR needs to cancel the December hunt? I wouldn't see why not. Email your DNR reps folks.
Displaying 21 to 30 of 41 posts
12/11/14 @ 9:40 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
Might sit a few hours Sat morning. I have a huge buck that has been hanging out on my land recently that I can see bedded down as I type this, so I'm torn between bow or gun hunting. Going to go to the online DNR chat and see if it is legal to bring both my gun and bow out.
12/11/14 @ 9:22 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
any reports yet? be out in the AM , Waupaca co. weather looks good for sittin but to warm for any big movement, we'll see. goodluck all!~
12/8/14 @ 4:23 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
"I get the idea of saving money but you lose the tradition of registering deer and local businesses are gonna lose potential profit from the hunting community, as well as possibly increasing poaching occurrences, reduction in actual deer registrations, and overall loss of important data that is needed to effectively manage this deer herd. " Actually, I don't really believe there will be a drop in registration, or increase in poaching. What has actually changed? The deer is already loaded in the truck and tagged, so what real negative exists in allowing someone to call in the registration compared to actually taking the deer in? I know several farmers who don't register their deer. They hunt behind their house, shoot a deer, drag it out and hang it in their garage. They refuse to lower the deer back down the next day, load it into their truck, drive it to town, register it, and then hang it back up. If you could call the deer in to register it, they will register it. It makes it easier, and the easier it is the more you can expect people to do it. As far as the tradition side of it, I think that is a poor argument. The only guys that get upset with that are those that feel the need to brag at the bar or gas station. They can still drive the deer around town and stop at the bar if they need to brag. I actually like the change.
12/8/14 @ 2:07 PM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
If I didn't have one in the freezer already I would go. I'm in the minority...plenty of deer by me.
12/8/14 @ 2:00 PM
Hunting + Fishing = Life
Hunting + Fishing = Life
User since 12/29/11
coolhawg, I'm totally with you on estimations. The only true accurate form of managing the herd is to analyze the HARVEST values and not these asinine ESTIMATION values of spotters and field studies on counting the deer herd. The DNR could obtain a report from every hunter in the field and they still would wrongly estimate populations in areas across the state. The only accurate form to manage the herd is to analyze harvest records and this is why it's ridiculous that the DNR is eliminating in person harvest stations. I get the idea of saving money but you lose the tradition of registering deer and local businesses are gonna lose potential profit from the hunting community, as well as possibly increasing poaching occurrences, reduction in actual deer registrations, and overall loss of important data that is needed to effectively manage this deer herd.
12/8/14 @ 1:45 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
I won't hunt but am taking my daughter out to a field that has had 8 deer taken out of it since opener. Farmer wants couple more shot so figured be a good spot for her Christmas eve night. 15 deer in the field two nights ago when I was there hour before dark.
12/8/14 @ 1:08 PM
TurkeyHunter
User since 5/15/02
Going into the gun season Door county had an estimated 40 deer per square mile of deer cover. That is almost three times what is considered optimal. The December hunt is essential to bringing the deer numbers down.
12/7/14 @ 3:32 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
I don't see a problem with hunting in December but if a hunter already has a few he should be done. The funny thing is that southern farmland doesn't have the Dec. 11-14 this year, it is only the Holiday hunt. That seems weird to me and sometimes I hunt Washigton and Fon Du Lac co. on the same hunt. One of my stands is just a few hundred yards from Fon Du LAc co. A deer could easily just the county line. I think they should have all kept it the same dates.
12/4/14 @ 9:37 PM
11pointer
User since 2/11/06
if the extended forecast stays true i just might.... projected temps in the forties next friday......would be able to heat the cabin alot easier lol
12/4/14 @ 8:24 PM
vegas492
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11
Haven't shot a deer in 4 years. Mix of reasons, not a lot of time to hunt and scout, lost access to private land etc etc. So I'll be out.
Displaying 21 to 30 of 41 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE