call in/online registration in WI

1/25/15 @ 9:33 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
anyone know if it's coming this year for everyone? I hope the pilot program last year was a success. it will make things so much more convenient. WI is one of a couple states that doesn't do call in registration. Why are we so slow in advancing compared to other state. your thoughts?...I know some people are worried that it will make poaching easier, but poachers always poach no matter what the rules, so I don't think it will be an issue.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
2/4/15 @ 5:28 PM
CARPAZZ
CARPAZZ
USER since 2/10/05
Was able to call in this fall and liked it very much. Saved a good $100 in gas, saved a lot of time and no need to worry about needing to run and get ice on warm nights because all the near by registration stations are closed.

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 6:29 PM
no-luck
no-luck
USER since 12/14/12
I am in favor and cannot wait. As far as those that will take advantage of the change, I believe they have probably already have been violating the rules in one way or another. Those who violate, will always find a way to violate, and those who follow the rules, will follow the rules.

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 11:13 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
Completely agree Muskrat. Great change, and a long time coming. For those that need to brag and show off their deer, they still make taverns.

Post Your Comment
1/26/15 @ 5:56 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
I've hunted MI a lot, they never had a registration of any type. I hunt IL a fair amount, they have call in or on line registration. Most of the Southern States don't have any registration.

I think the main thing is people don't like change. How many other States allow 'group hunting'? Hardly any I think. If one is worried about deer numbers or 'poaching', there's one tradition to eliminate.

Yes, I realize one can still tag another's deer, but it would be reduced without group hunting.

Post Your Comment
1/25/15 @ 6:36 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
My rambling is just growing frustration on how everything in hunting "needs" to be made easier. This constant change to make everything easier will do nothing to help the long term future of hunting, or fishing for that matter. The registration issue will obviously not be the tipping point, but it is another step in a disappointing trend.

Post Your Comment
1/25/15 @ 5:11 PM
fishfillet
fishfillet
USER since 1/8/13
I thought the in person registration was a pain at times. getting a deer out of the woods late and finding the nearest place closed. then have to drive miles out of my way to find another one. the money spent at the station in my opinion is minimal anyway. I don't think the lose will be much if any. I think people fear change and that is why some people have a problem with it. once it gets going, I bet it will be fine for everyone.

Post Your Comment
1/25/15 @ 4:18 PM
BeerTownFyreman
BeerTownFyreman
USER since 6/15/01
This takes nothing away from registration stations... now anyone can be a registration station! Just put a cordless phone on the bar/counter next to a Sharpie and let hunters come in and phone it in. Put the sign up just like before. Same can be done if you offer internet access too I guess.

PLUS, in what is an added bonus to these struggling businesses, they no longer have to pay an employee out of their pockets to spend time registering deer. Just slide the phone and a marker over the counter.

While I agree that for a lot of hunters (myself included) the regular way was not that much of an issue, I can see the benefits to going to this system.

What I don't understand, is how phone in deer registration leads to a discussion on crossbow hunting and making shooting from a vehicle legal!?

There has been phone in registration for the Feds for migratory birds for quite some time, and for WI turkey for a few years. I guess if there were going to be big issues, shouldn't we be seeing some of them by now?

Post Your Comment
1/25/15 @ 2:46 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
Just another example making something that already wasn't difficult, easier. What's next, making it legal for all hunters to shoot from their vehicle? We already gave most of the handicapped benefits to the crossbow crowd, what is a few more? Just think, park your truck 100 yards from a bait pile, keep it running if course so you don't get cold. Shoot your deer, drive up to the deer and throw it in the bed, on your way to the donation site, call it in, and since it's being donated why even bother cleaning it. Be back in the bar by 8am and not even have a drop of blood on your clothes to tell your tales of being the great white hunter.

Post Your Comment
1/25/15 @ 1:40 PM
Easton Ace
Easton Ace
USER since 1/27/02
My thoughts on automated registration, It sucks. This is a huge draw to the businesses that currently register deer. Small local businesses are struggling to make a go of it , so take more away from them until all we have are WalMarts. Great idea, not.

Easton Ace

Post Your Comment
1/25/15 @ 11:25 AM
BeerTownFyreman
BeerTownFyreman
USER since 6/15/01
As far as I've heard it's on track to go ahead next fall.

I talked to the biologist at our CDAC meeting about it this December. He said it sounded like feedback was pretty positive. I shared a couple limited concerns I had heard about the automated voice being hard to understand and the confirmation number was too long/cumbersome. He was aware of both, and they were going to make some tweaks to address any issues.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts