Big game lion hunting

7/29/15 @ 9:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
rapatam
rapatam
USER since 2/24/08
Just wondering if anyone here has booked a big game hunting trip. I have not but have friends who have. This guy who's life is being ruined by the social media should wait to hear the whole story. Could it be that he booked a legit trip thru what turned out to be a bad situation? So let's ruin his business here and tag him as worse than a drug lord. Til all the facts are out I would like to hear both sides of the story. What happened til innocent til proven guilty! Like to hear what the outdoor world thinks instead of the media. Just my thoughts.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
7/31/15 @ 9:05 AM
lovestofishnhunt
lovestofishnhunt
USER since 6/13/06
Ignorance is never a good excuse in my book. If you are going to spend that kind of money in a foreign country, you better know the laws of the land. I personally think that these trophies are just an ego builder for this guy. I tend to hunt what I eat and I will admit, I have a soft spot for animals, even the ones that I hunt. The kill for me, is never an exhilarating part of any hunt I've ever been on. I find it very important to thank God for the meat, the opportunity, and for the animal who died in the process, but that's just me. I personally don't see sportsman like values in this dentist which is pretty obvious if you look into his checkered past.

Post Your Comment
7/30/15 @ 2:50 PM
fishy
fishy
USER since 1/12/02
The guy is no stranger to buying his way to a trophy. He had a zone D bear tag about 8 years ago-hunting with a hound hunter guide from the Minong area. The guy had them looking for big tracks all fall-regardless of the zone. He ended up coming back when he was told of a 6 inch pad- they ran it and killed it. He was 40 miles from the border of Zone D-not even close! He was busted and turned in. Money was the factor allowing him a chance at the 575 pound bear It was all about the trophy size-a bear hunt wasn't enough. I don't feel sorry at all for him simply because I was disgusted back when I read about the bear issue- and now its a lion and who knows how he killed all of his other trophys? I'm sure with $$$$$$ Another black eye for hunting. This is all about buying the trophy at any cost and caring less about the laws.

Post Your Comment
7/30/15 @ 2:23 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
The animal was shot with guns 40 hours after the first bow shot, so the shot was not great obviously. I am not going to pass judgement until I hear the full story. If this guy paid a licensed guide to put him on a lion, he may not have known that anything was illegal. In that case, the guide was purely at fault. The hunter I believe even reported to the officials that he was the one that killed the animal, and never tried to hide anything. Would be interesting to know the full story before trashing this guy.

Edited on 7/30/15 2:23 PM
Post Your Comment
7/30/15 @ 1:57 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
That dentist was a moron. I'm not going to pin it all on him because it was a guided hunt so his guide shouldn't have put him in that situation. Other than that I have no problem with big game hunts. They usually help support the wildlife preserves with money they normally don't receive, and the animals they target are usually nearing the end of their live anyway. As for me personally, I would rather go after something like a kudu or a gemsbock over lions, but going to Africa is my drawback. I have no urge to go to that continent.

Post Your Comment
7/30/15 @ 11:30 AM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
Dead animal was attached to a vehicle and they led the lion off the preserve. I read they also hunted the Lion at night which was also illegal? They shot the lion with a bow and then trailed him for over 60 hours. They then tried to destroy the gps. This was not hunting. Sorry you can blame the guide but attaching a animal to a vehicle to entice him off a preserve doesn't flip a switch in you that this might not be ethical. I have no sympathy for you.

Gives all hunters a bad name. I feel bad for the ethical African big game hunters. Takes one bad apple.

Be like hiring a guide and they drive an airboat through a marsh to kick up a bunch of ducks. Tying a long chain between two vehicles and driving through crp field. Yes guide did it but you were a party in it.

This dentist was fined $3000 for shooting a bear outside bear zone here in Wisconsin. Also was fined for fishing without a license. 50 Grand I hope it was worth it.

I don't agree that his life should be threatened or his business be protested. If some of his clients choose someone else that's their right.

Edited on 7/30/15 1:35 PM
Post Your Comment
7/30/15 @ 10:27 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05
I agree. This guy is being drug through the mud for no reason from the facts I have gathered. In addition, I have not heard how this lion was "lured" out of this park. If the lion roamed off the park and happened across a dead antelope they were using as bait, I don't know how even the guide could be at fault.

Funny how the media runs with this dead lion story, but yet doesn't talk about all the dead human fetus' out there from abortions or celebrate the life of veterans who died in harms way. A guy who legally bought a license, used a guide, and shot a lion on legal land is vilified in the press as being a monster. Feel sorry for him.

Post Your Comment
7/30/15 @ 10:05 AM
Goosecaller
Goosecaller
MEMBER since 7/21/01
I was under the impression (not sure if I am right though) that you MUST hunt with a PH on an African trip like that. For what they claim he paid for that hunt, I am sure he had more than one PH and numerous "trackers". I was also under the impression that they tell you when and what to shoot. With that said, how is some guy from Minnesota going to know that he is shooting some sacred lion when they PH's tell him to shoot.... My opinion, hunter not at fault, PH at fault.....

Post Your Comment