MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

Best Deer Drag Product/Trick

10/14/18 @ 5:03 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I shot my biggest deer last year and had to drag it through mud, brush and swamp about 3/4 of a mile back to my truck.  Not fun and I am surprised I’m not dead from it.  Im looking for input on products for making that easier.  I’ve found plastic sleds/wraps on Sportsmen’s Guide and other sites as well as carts.  I don’t think the cart thing would work where I hunt so I’m looking for something to make dragging easier beit through mud or snow.  Thanks. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 50 Posts
6/20/19 @ 1:32 PM
Fish repellent
Fish repellent
USER since 2/4/14

This is the best way I've done it. I use a cheap sled and my linemans rope which has a Ropeman 1 ascender, it can easily slide over logs and the deer wont fall off of the sled.

Post Your Comment
6/18/19 @ 3:43 PM
badgerstatehunter
badgerstatehunter
USER since 2/6/06

young, able-bodied brothers, cousins, kids, or grandkids.  preferably ones about 16-29 years old who take care of themselves.  

Post Your Comment
6/17/19 @ 1:07 PM
fltlndr
fltlndr
USER since 12/25/02

I agree with Brian.

Post Your Comment
6/17/19 @ 12:12 PM
BrianWI_
BrianWI_
USER since 6/19/09
Post Your Comment
5/28/19 @ 1:31 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Kona,  exactly!

Post Your Comment
5/28/19 @ 10:38 AM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

I agree they should update/change this regulation. Assume even the DNR would want to update the law with their push last year to keep a carcass in the same county where the deer was shot..

Post Your Comment
5/28/19 @ 9:37 AM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12

Yup, my bad about the legality issue. Have not quartered a deer in WI but agree it's silly not to be able to do so.

Post Your Comment
5/28/19 @ 7:53 AM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09

I agree that it would be the easiest way to go. Just wanted to clarify for those that might not know that is indeed illegal in Wisconsin to do so (stupid law).

Post Your Comment
5/28/19 @ 7:19 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

I hung mine but like you said,  you don't need to,  but i opted to because of the yotes and there are a crap ton on them there.  So I had a rope,  I hung it after I had removed the hind quarters.  I just did it to get it off the ground as I figured i'd be gone over an hour.

The chances of a yote coming with all the human scent is probably little to none,  but i wasn't taking a chance.  I'd do it again but it would get deboned,  legal or not.  Deer die out there all the time and rot away,  one more isn't going to matter.

Edited on 5/28/19 7:23 AM
Post Your Comment
5/27/19 @ 5:47 PM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09

Unfortunately that is not legal in Wisconsin. You can quarter the deer, (up to 5 pieces), but the head, rib cage/spine etc... still needs to be brought out. Basically everything needs to come out except guys, hide and lower limbs.

This sucks, because butchering a deer into de-boned muscle groups in-field is not that hard and I would do it in a heartbeat here. There are spots I hunt here where I would probably still cut a deer in half after gutting to drag out if I was by myself.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 50 Posts