Bayfield County Archery Hunting 2013

10/11/13 @ 11:49 AM
ORIGINAL POST
uptracker
uptracker
USER since 10/12/11
How's it looking this year? I'm thinking about a solo tent camp in the area in early November. My other plans fell through, buddies can't make our usual trip and I need to get something figured out ASAP. I've scouted the area once and liked the looks of things, but didn't find the sign I was looking for. Acorns plentiful this year? Deer numbers up or down? Bigger bucks being sighted? Also, I'm a NR that's never hunted in WI. Am I reading the regs right?...that a first time license buyer gets 1/2 off the price? P.S. I'm not after a small buck, 8's or bigger for me and it's gotta be big enough for the wall. Thanks in advance!!!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 98 Posts
9/20/14 @ 10:52 PM
uptracker
uptracker
USER since 10/12/11
Started a new thread for 2014 titled "Bayfield County Deer Hunting 2014". Keep us updated! I never made it over last year and probably won't this year, but I enjoyed the thread from 2013! Pretty interesting.

I left "archery" out of the new title so we can hopefully get some extra input from the dedicated gun hunters too.

Thanks

Post Your Comment
9/10/14 @ 1:47 PM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
USER since 3/4/06
Get him Chief!

Post Your Comment
9/10/14 @ 12:49 PM
thechief
thechief
USER since 5/2/05
that's good to here "dropping like rain" there will be some ridges that have them then, just have to find the ridges the deer are using. it will be interesting to see if ole banana horn is still around, ive seen him several times in the last two years, gawd what a set horns, this deer has a lot of luck on his side.

Edited on 9/10/14 12:50 PM
Post Your Comment
9/10/14 @ 10:08 AM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
USER since 3/4/06
I spent about 4 hours in the woods over the weekend. Acorns were coming down like rain. A lot had fallen from last week's storms.

They're not a bumper crop, but a healthy crop. Not big, not small...most are the size of my thumbnail.

They MIGHT be spotty...meaning, I had none in my driveway, which is usually loaded, but many in the woods where I hunt.

I saw a good amount in Delta area. I saw a good amount north of Ino.

Post Your Comment
9/10/14 @ 9:40 AM
thechief
thechief
USER since 5/2/05
Hows the acorn crop in B.C.?

Post Your Comment
9/9/14 @ 1:19 PM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
USER since 3/4/06
Relax...there are still bucks in Bayfield County! They just have stunted antler development.

Post Your Comment
9/8/14 @ 9:29 PM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
USER since 3/4/06
Just got back from checking my trail cameras for the first time since 4th of July week!

I'm happy to say that things were actually looking great. Lots of acorns dropping. A great bachelor group of bucks including a whopper hanging out at my favorite spot. Only problem is that I had my camera set on video.

I'll try and get some still shots from my computer screen to upload.

But, I can honestly say that I was pleased with what I saw, with one caveat...I had only 1 picture of a fawn between two cameras in 2 months and it was early in July...nothing since.

Post Your Comment
7/28/14 @ 12:16 PM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
USER since 3/4/06
Something you won't see on my trail camera in Bayfield County this year!

Post Your Comment
7/10/14 @ 7:56 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
USER since 1/5/05
Chris2-

Im West of you in Douglas County and I cant see our bucks getting any more stunted then they did between 2012 and 2013. I have only checked 1 out of 8 cameras and it was a month ago and we were on pace with last year at that point. Every buck we had on camera and could ID that was 3.5 years old+ in 2012 went down hill in 2013. I can think of at least 6 different bucks that lost bone.

I sure hope they don't lose more this year. They had a rough winter.

Post Your Comment
7/9/14 @ 4:39 PM
Chris2fur
Chris2fur
USER since 3/4/06
Took a drive from Delta to Mason. Mason looks like it has a healthy herd. We saw fawns jumping around in the fields. Delta area looked dismal.

I actually moved my camera from my private land river crossing. I had the same doe coming to mineral daily and she looks in bad shape. I have yet to see a fawn in Delta and believe me, I've been looking.

Saw plenty of deer between Delta and Iron River on Hwy H. They seemed to be healthier, coincidentally, being closer to houses, I'm sure they've been fed. I saw a fawn dead on the road with two does standing next to it. Bummer.

Will not take meat from Bayfield County this year. Will trophy hunt only and take meat from down south.

My trail cameras have all been set on video mode so I don't have any pictures to post. However, I believe the antler growth is behind 2 weeks. If I were a betting man, I'd say that many of the bucks will have stunted antler growth this year. I have one video of a buck that had a spread past it's ears in the middle of June that hadn't even forked out yet that got me excited, then when I checked the camera again I had a buck with a spread past the ears with only small points growing up. Looked like the same buck. I suppose it could be two different deer with similar genes but it's not often I get video of 2 different bucks, both with spreads past the ears on the same camera.

We'll see on Labor Day Weekend (Unless I sneak away for a weekend up there).

I heard the guy that's cutting 140 acres next to me has 30 deer on his property running to the tops when the trees fall. This may explain my lack of seeing deer. We'll see what happens come fall.

I do have a really funny video. Anybody that says bugs don't bother deer outta see it. So, the camera turns on with a doe bedded down 10' from the camera. She's shaking her head side to side as the infrared lights up all the bugs flying around her. She lasted 10 seconds and then got up and left.

I'm tempted to hang up a thermocell right over a bait pile and see if it affects the deer at all. Maybe they'd leave me a thank you note!

Good day, Chris

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 98 Posts