Antlerless Harvest Questions

12/5/14 @ 10:15 AM
ORIGINAL POST
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
USER since 5/31/02
I'm baffled by the 9-Day Preliminary County Deer Registrations 2014 shown on the WI-DNR website. It states that 110 antlerless deer were taken in Ashland County, yet there were zero private or public land antlerless permits available in Ashland County. It states that 2713 antlerless deer were taken in Barron County, yet these was a total of only 1795 private and public land antlerless permits available in Barron County. It states that 501 antlerless deer were taken in Rusk County, yet there were zero private or public land antlerless permits available in Rusk County. And on and on and on. Who the heck is shooting all these antlerless deer? I'm baffled. RR
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
12/5/14 @ 3:20 PM
WoodyWhacker
WoodyWhacker
USER since 2/17/03
It would be interesting to know how many of the anterless deer were shot by the "youth" hunters. This tag should not be a party tag

No anterless tags should mean no anterless tags. I could see if your 1st year you were given an anterless tag for buck only units, but getting one every year until the age 18 is ridiculous. If you add up all the anterless deer one youth hunter could kill from age 12 to 17 and the offspring those deer could have in the 6 year span it adds up quickly.

Post Your Comment
12/5/14 @ 10:34 AM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
USER since 5/31/02
I'd have to say I agree with you guys.

I didn't want to come across as a nob or anything but wow some of these antlerless total in the northern forest units are "rather high".

Sure must have been a lot of "kids" blasting away.

Maybe I can rent out a kid next season......(NOT).

RR

Post Your Comment
12/5/14 @ 10:32 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
amilies making sure every kid who can get license got one...then filling those tags "for" the kids Dull Its time to close the youth antlerless tag "loophole" I'd say

That's what I was thinking too...

Post Your Comment
12/5/14 @ 10:31 AM
Trophyhunter01
Trophyhunter01
USER since 3/10/13
That is true and it's a bunch of crap!! I'm all for kids getting in the out doors but no bucks should be no bucks!! Allowing them to shoot the does in a hurt population already will only give them false hope so now when they become of age and have to hunt like the rest of us guess what there will be Even less deer and then they can sit and stare at trees and eat tags like many of the other hunters in the state, I just don't agree with all the youth hunts and special opportunities they get I grew up well before all that and didn't shoot a deer for my first 4 season but I was still a addicted for life as I'm sure most of you had the same up bringing up,and malleye you hit the nail right on the head!!

Edited on 12/5/14 10:32 AM
Post Your Comment
12/5/14 @ 10:30 AM
Malleye
Malleye
USER since 10/4/10
It's probably like this:

"Congratulations kid, you got a doe. Now go get your boots and your coat so I can take you to it. Oh, don't forget your tag."

No does should mean NO does.

Post Your Comment
12/5/14 @ 10:29 AM
qdmaguy
qdmaguy
USER since 6/14/10
Most likely kids...or maybe more likely...families making sure every kid who can get license got one...then filling those tags "for" the kids Dull

Its time to close the youth antlerless tag "loophole" I'd say

Post Your Comment
12/5/14 @ 10:27 AM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
USER since 5/31/02
Oh, I see.

"Youth hunters will receive a carcass tag valid for an antlerless deer statewide with each deer license."

Couldn't find it in the regs.

Thank you.

RR

Post Your Comment
12/5/14 @ 10:21 AM
the_dude
the_dude
USER since 1/10/03
All hunters under the age of 18 received an antlerless tag good anywhere in the state. Plus active duty military do also I believe. But, to answer your question, it is most likely kids.

Edit: I just looked it up and the regs say all "youth" hunters get a doe tag valid anywhere in the state. I don't see where "youth" is defined. The "youth hunt" is ages 10 - 15. Junior licenses are ages 12 - 17.

Edited on 12/5/14 10:29 AM
Post Your Comment