Antler Sheds

7/1/02 @ 9:15 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Pan-Man1
Pan-Man1
USER since 6/17/02
THE MAN is goofy. The bucks choose to sherd their antlers. Watch a hunting show or pick up a hunting book would ya?>??????

Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 3,043 Posts
1/23/18 @ 1:37 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01

Checked cameras on Saturday.  My son found 1 small one that had fairly fresh blood on it.  Thought i would maybe find more.  However, looking at pictures all the nice bucks are still holding both sides.  Had 1 or 2 small ones that were missing a side on camera.  One camera had at least a dozen different bucks on from the 24 hours prior to checking and they all had both sides.  Gonna be a while for me in Shawano county.  We do have a ton of standing corn and beans as well as turnip patches they are feeding on, so the deer in my block are not food stressed at all. 

Post Your Comment
1/16/18 @ 10:55 AM
Nellyfishr
Nellyfishr
USER since 12/23/09

Well pulling some deerstand and cameras its always fun to check some spots along a food source. cameras have shown a few that were stressed that have dropped. But not time to be putting on any miles or intruding any spots. We lost all the snow in the area here but just got 4 fresh inches yesterday so hopefully more will come and push the deer to thermal cover and make the horns easier to locate. But keep up the good work and eyes on the ground! good luck and be safe this season! I have a second dog this year so im pretty excited to see what this season brings!

Post Your Comment
1/12/18 @ 3:52 PM
waltereye sr.
waltereye sr.
USER since 6/25/01

Ditto on the last two comments. Thanks for posting pictures 

Post Your Comment
1/11/18 @ 2:30 PM
shedhunter
shedhunter
USER since 1/28/08

Scout-- Great pics and great finds thanks for sharing!!!

Post Your Comment
1/9/18 @ 10:01 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Scout,  Sweet pic. love it.

Post Your Comment
1/9/18 @ 9:46 AM
scoutking07
scoutking07
USER since 10/25/07

Found the first shed of the season.  Twenty yards away my dad spotted the match.  It was a buck that I had on camera and he dropped both sides by Dec 21.  Cool part was, my dad picked up his matched set last year about 80-90 yards from this years.

Post Your Comment
1/8/18 @ 9:22 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

bassmaster...if you have food in the winter,  you find what your looking for.

As for sheds,  i haven't looked yet however in the last two weeks i've seen bucks that dropped.  mostly little dudes,  but i did see a 3.5 that had one side.  He didn't get close enough and i didn't bring binos,  but I think it was shed and not just broken.  I think I've seen the deer before during the season,  he's local so hopefully it's on mine somewhere.

Food in the winter means bone on the ground.  I have one piece i hunt,  no food,  never found a shed in 20 years.  they don't winter there.  I believe there are sheds some where as some deer do still live there and travel to food daily, but it's mostly marsh.  that marsh just eats them sheds up.  very hard to find w o a dog.

Edited on 1/8/18 9:23 AM
Post Your Comment
1/6/18 @ 7:01 AM
shedhunter
shedhunter
USER since 1/28/08

Here are the 2 i have found so far, nothing impressive, but its good to get those first couple on the year, to reassure your eyes are focused on the prize.  1 I found while checking cams after work in the dark and the other, was actually done shed hunting for the morning and walked acroos the food plot and spotted the 3.5inch spike--shed

Post Your Comment
1/5/18 @ 2:57 PM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Shedhunter,  in a different post made a valid point. 

That with the harsh weather & stress of the rut, bucks should start dropping or some have started already. 

Hopefully heading out soon to start looking. 

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
1/5/18 @ 1:43 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
USER since 12/19/10

Just wanted to bump this thread back up to the top. It’s almost that time of year just curious if anybody has been out looking yet?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 3,043 Posts