Am I the only person Muzzle Loader hunting?

12/4/17 @ 7:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Kutt2
Kutt2
USER since 10/31/15

I am sitting in the shack alone hunting this week. I am seeing some deer, but for the most part they are lazy with the warm weather. That may change Tuesday. Saw this tree today.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts
12/9/17 @ 10:16 AM
1Iced
1Iced
USER since 5/13/10

I was out all but two day's weekend in rusk county saw no deer and the rest in Manitowoc county and only seen five doe for a week of hunting. Never seen a buck in any fields on the way home all doe.

Post Your Comment
12/8/17 @ 7:09 PM
road kill
road kill
USER since 1/5/13

My first season with a muzzle loader.

Saw a few deer, had a great time.

Wait till next year!

Stan b

Post Your Comment
12/8/17 @ 10:13 AM
musky nut
musky nut
USER since 7/20/12

Speaking of wolves ...this is what I like to see when I go up north deer hunting.....and my hands are not small! 

Post Your Comment
12/8/17 @ 7:47 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I think time of year matters too though.  During a 2 week span in November when the rut is in gear, I usually get a lot of what I call 'one and done' bucks.  They go past the camera once, never to be seen again.  I'll get pretty consistent pics and deer sightings in a row when hunting at that time.  Even the little spiker I shot this year, I never saw him or had a pic prior so I assume he was another one of these deer.  Just cruising through the area.  Later on though when that slows down like during muzzleloader, then I think any deer that are somewhat local know exactly where stands are due to scent and pressure.

My spot from this year was basically a thick area between 2 bedding areas so it usually had some deer moving back and forth during the rut, natural funnel.  I had one broken rack buck picture during the day about mid-week of gun season and then nothing after that aside from a few at night.  I'm sure my gut pile brought in all kinds of critters too.  We had no wolves around at that time, first year I didn't see any tracks.  Wouldn't be shocked if they showed up after though, no snow to really know since it all melted by then.

Edited on 12/8/17 7:48 AM
Post Your Comment
12/8/17 @ 6:11 AM
1pass
1pass
USER since 6/27/17

I have the same experience as I hookem.You can easily burn out a stand especially in the Northwoods.

But sometimes in the Northwoods deer associate human tracks with a pile of bait.Many times I have caught deer following my tracts or have seen there tracks following mine.I normally dont waste my money on bait but at times I leave some settings up stands.

And sometimes it seams like deer bed close to the truck like they are watching it 

Post Your Comment
12/7/17 @ 6:49 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

Lakeshiner,  I have that happen to me on every stand I sit on . The first sit of the year always is the best sit of the year on that stand, every single time.  I have a method I call strike three and your out. I sit in a stand 3 times a year. After that I dont think I would see anything. The 1st fit is the best , every time, the second sit I will see deer half as many as the first and the 3rd time I seldom see a deer.  I did however shoot a doe this year on some public land on the 3rd fit of the season . It is however my best stand. Also, you are very right, those deer avoid the area you were hunting and that is why your dad didn't see anything. Had you not sat there at all this year , he would have had a much better chance of seeing a deer.  Those deer come across your scent no matter how much scent lock ya put on and the more you are in that woods the more they stay away till only dumb young deer and fawns come in . That is why so few big bucks are shot legally over corn. Those old deer know better. 

Post Your Comment
12/6/17 @ 8:06 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I was out over the weekend with my dad in Price County.  I saw 3, he didn't see any.  I think I learned something though.

My dad sat my stand that I used for gun season, I just walked around and still hunted in a different direction.  Not all that far away from him (couldn't be anyway) but that little bit seemed to make the difference in seeing deer and not seeing deer.  I assume they were well aware of where I gun hunted and walked around it.  In the future I may have to start giving up on my gun areas and go to where no one was.  The deer I have shot with the muzzleloader all came from new areas that I found via snow.  This year we had no snow, so it was a complete guess.

One deer would have been very comical had it been a buck.  I walked back to where we parked the truck a little early.  I don't like to head out in the dark when I'm somewhere I don't normally walk in the big woods.  I get to the truck and I hear leaves crunching.  A doe had stepped out of a thick area not 30 yards away.  It got about 20 yards from the truck and stopped on our walking trail.  I could have imagined my dad walking out and running right into a downed deer on the trail.  A guy thinks he has to walk in the woods a ways and the damn things are right by the truck.  But to go back to what I said earlier, no one hunted over there either and it was walking around where we sat for rifle season.

Edited on 12/6/17 8:07 AM
Post Your Comment
12/6/17 @ 4:23 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
USER since 12/7/05

I have gone out a couple times but the deer movement isn't very good when it is 50+ degrees outside. Did see a decent buck last Monday, but decided to let him go one more year. The farmer hasn't picked the corn yet, which I'm sure is hiding a few deer. Either way, it is nice to be out.

Edited on 12/6/17 4:24 AM
Post Your Comment
12/5/17 @ 7:57 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
I was out on some public land in S.E. Wis yesterday. I didn't hear a shot and no deer at all. It was warm and by 4PM the wind shifted from the southwest to the east and putting my scent right into the swamp. No deer but I am going out tomorrow and dont expect much. I too wish they would get rid of the 4 day Holiday hunt and extend muzzy till next Sunday night so we can hunt two weekends.

Post Your Comment
12/5/17 @ 7:26 PM
Kutt2
Kutt2
USER since 10/31/15

Thanks, for the replies. I saw a couple sneek behind me tonight. After tomorrow it is back to my busy life. But tonight it is shack life. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts