MORE
Big Game Hunting

Acorns

8/13/18 @ 1:56 PM
INITIAL POST
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11

Went to our land today which is in Waupaca Co. The white oaks have a bumper crop of acorns. Have hunted there for 50 + years and this is the most I've ever seen. Didn't look real hard but saw 0 red oak acorns. I know the amount of rain in spring and getting a late frost has a effect on the acorn crop. Does anyone know the science behind why one oak would produce so well and the other not. Of our oaks about 90 % are red and some years it can be almost like walking on marbles when the reds produce, but not this year. Do have a stand in one of the spots that is more white oak so that is gonna be good

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
9/18/18 @ 8:34 PM
Johnthe4th
User since 11/19/13

Hey pse you stole my line, whenever I can't find my golf ball "it must be in the mud on the fairway...I'll just drop a new one right here" 

9/8/18 @ 9:44 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Quite a few acorns already dropping in the Southeast part of the state.. Was out yesterday and saw alot of sign by the oak trees/acorns.. Unfortunately the mosquitos are also out in force with all the recent rains. Was walking an edge of a soybean field and mumerous skeets came up with every step (and it was a windy day)..

Looks like early season is going to have alot of skeets and my thermacells will get used. 

9/7/18 @ 12:23 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Ton's of acorns on both the red and white oaks on our property in Marquette county.  None are close to dropping yet and most of the acorns on the red oaks were still green.  In addition the apple crop for this year looks exceptional as well.  We have a couple random trees on the farm that are absolutely loaded with fruit.

9/6/18 @ 6:35 PM
PSE
PSE
PRO MEMBER User since 11/25/05

White oaks are dropping pretty well around here. Went golfing a couple miles down the road and the white oaks were really dropping. Walked within 10 yards of three deer as they at acorns. Never found my ball. Buried in mud in the fairway. Too much rain lately

8/27/18 @ 10:53 PM
deerdog
User since 11/7/03

They’ve been all over the acorns in my yard this week

8/15/18 @ 7:18 PM
countyline
User since 1/2/13

Acorns

Here is a good article about oaks and acorns.

8/15/18 @ 12:22 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Neighbor,county to Waupaca and both whites and reds are loaded. Last year was poor. On our property anyway

8/15/18 @ 10:45 AM
countyline
User since 1/2/13

I wouldn't waste money fertilizing oaks. A healthy tree doesn't need it. Spend those dollars on some other type of land improvements.

8/15/18 @ 7:57 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01

I don't personally fertilize any oak trees.  I have read about others doing it and it is supposedly effective.  On our land and my buddy's land next to us, we have very few mature oak trees to even try that with.  Our efforts are spent on planting a lot more oak and other hard and soft mast trees.  We are more focused on volume than boosting production of what is there. 

8/14/18 @ 5:23 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

What is your process for fertilizing around the trees

8/14/18 @ 1:44 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01

Good discussion here and the different characteristics of various oak trees highlights the need to be diverse in your wildlife plantings.  At our place we spent close to a decade building plots and getting crop areas figured out.  Now we are about 5 years into a fairly heavy tree planting program. Between native species and hybrids we are planting about a dozen different species of oaks.  While split between red oak and white oak varieties, we are also matching to soil types and wanted as large of a variety as possible to increase our odds of good crops on an annual basis.  While the red oak's 18 months to maturity and white oaks 6 months to maturity are important considerations, also know that the various species within those families will flower at slightly different times so the larger the variety, the less likely a single cold snap will kill your crop.  With some of our earlier planted native varieties we have started to get acorn crops at about 10 years with northern red oak and swamp white oak. 

You can also cut and fertilize around your native oaks to improve acorn yields if you wish. 

8/14/18 @ 10:39 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I have heard the same thing,every two years.but on my land I have some trees that have acorns almost ever year.

Last year not alot this year looks real good.

8/14/18 @ 7:42 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I had no idea either, learned something new.

8/13/18 @ 7:57 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11

countyline, very interesting. Never knew that about red oaks. Did some research after reading your post and you nailed it.Love learning new facts like this.  I am only guessing but bet a lot of guys don't know it is a 2 year process. Thanks

8/13/18 @ 6:26 PM
countyline
User since 1/2/13

Hey Griff,

Red Oaks acorns take two growing seasons to mature.

So say if no late frost this spring, then those acorns will drop next fall, 2019.

Late flower killing frost this spring, tree would need to have a successful pollination next spring to drop in 2020.  

So depending on mother nature Red Oak acorn crops can be very spurratic in areas with spring frost.

No acorn crop is never the same, rain drought, temps, tree health. So many things can affect the crops.

Enjoy butchering them fat deer this fall.??

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE