MORE
Big Game Hunting

7mm

8/27/17 @ 10:48 AM
INITIAL POST
broz.
broz.
User since 6/22/01

what is the best 7mm round for Wi. whitetail??? I know everyone has what they think is the best . Iam just looking for something that will not put a hole the size of my foot thank you all for your input. Stay on top broz

Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts
2/2/18 @ 4:52 PM
Wieland Outdoors
Wieland Outdoors
User since 3/27/10

The difference is CONTROLLED expansion. The Barnes bullets are designed to expand, but not fragment. This enables them to retain their weight and carry through with less energy loss.

If you look at the pic of the recovereed bullet, you see it expanded. They are NOT full metal jackets or piercing bullets that do not expand

1/31/18 @ 3:21 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Wouldn't that bullet be consider a non-expanding type bullet?  If that is the case then you can not legally hunt with that bullet in Wisconsin.

1/30/18 @ 9:18 AM
Wieland Outdoors
Wieland Outdoors
User since 3/27/10

If you want a more concentrated hole, get as far away from using fragmenting bullets as you can. Like you, I hated softball sized holes and all the fragmented lead/copper in the meat.

I got turned onto Barnes Bullets - non fragmenting solid copper. The performance of these are incredible. They stay nearly perfectly intact after mushrooming, retain the vast majority of weight, and retain more energy after impact.

The wound channel is most impressive. I consistently see less flesh damage and a major increase of vitals bruised/blown up.

Pictured is a rare recovery of a 130 gr 270WIN. Shot an antelope high neck, just blow chin. Bullet passed through the neck, re-entered through the back, passed through the backbone, and embedded in the liver.

Second is a 168gr Barnes bullet that passed through an elk. The bull was bedded directly below us and it was nearly a straight down shot. Bullet passed through the backbone, through the lungs, and out the lower cavity and stuck in the hoof. We cleaned that bullet up and put it on a gr scale. Weighed 166.X gr. That is amazing retention

7mm photo by Wieland Outdoors
1/16/18 @ 12:35 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Honestly, I assume we are talking 7MM, not 7mm08.  Love my 7MM and have taken many dear with it, I prefer the 150 grain ballistic tips,, however I also feel the 7MM is a bit large for deer.  Sure it allows me to reach out and touch them, but I also like my 270 and 243 too.

11/14/17 @ 1:13 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

One of my absolute favorite websites:

www.ballisticstudies.com

Search for '7mm' and do some "light" reading.  Spoiler alert, the Hornady 139 grain InterBond sounds like it would be of great interest to you.

Good day!

11/14/17 @ 10:02 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

My kids use the 7.08 and it has been a great round. I am tempted to dump my 30.06 Sako and get one too for all the reasons stated below. I really like the short action. Mrt.

11/7/17 @ 1:05 PM
ttreebark
ttreebark
User since 7/6/06

Have been using 7-08 for about 10 years 140 Rem Core-lokt. Very happy with it. Was using 300 win mag, had a change in hunting area. (all woods no open area). The 300 was wrecking deer with 180 Core-lokt or 165 Nosler partition. The shots were too close. After using the 7-08 hunting and at the range, I would be comfortable out to 350 yards no problem if I had a good rest. Which was why a had the 300 Mag.

11/7/17 @ 10:41 AM
crawriverrat
DoubleTap
User since 1/10/12

My go-to rifle the last couple years has been a Weatherby Vanguard carbine in 7mm-08 with 139gr bullets. Short action, compact, lightweight, etc. Very nice to carry while walking and still hunting. 7mm-08 is an incredible caliber with great ballistics- will take any sized deer at most ranges with minimal recoil as well.

The 7mm family is a great and probably underrated caliber- well constructed, high BC. My father has also carried his 7x57 for as long as I can remember. Another great, lightweight 7mm caliber.

11/7/17 @ 12:03 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

My uncle uses a 7mm Rem. Mag. and uses Hornady Custom ammo loaded with 162 grain InterLock. Great all-around bullet for whitetail, mulies and even elk if needed. They hold together very well and the heavy bullet bucks crosswinds very well. Ballistic tip anything (other than monolithic/copper offerings) are going to make a mess at 7mm Mag. velocities.

I shoot a .270 Win. and tried the Hornady Superformance 140 gr. SST's...bad idea. Killed everything I shot with them, but ruined a LOT of meat. I was taking double lung shots behind the front shoulder and the whole front half of the deer was bloodshot! I now shoot the Hornady American Whitetail 140 gr. InterLocks and love the results! They shoot well and hold together. Ballistic tips and speed (3000+ fps), in my experience, are not good on deer, especially if you hit bone. Good luck this fall with whatever you choose!

11/3/17 @ 8:44 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Actually for whitetail.  Two fairly modern rounds and one legacy round comes to mind.

7mm-08

.280 Remington

7X57 Mauser 

All will do the job easily with 140 - 150 slugs, 7mm Reg Mag is a great round but brings more recoil and velocity required for all but the longest range shots.

I have two .280's and both handle 140 - 160 grain slugs, and I have taken antelope to elk with this cartridge with many deer in between.

Good luck

10/22/17 @ 8:29 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

I have been using 140 gr silvertip and no issues bringing deer down all falling within 40 yards. Can't find 140 gr anymore, so picking up 150 gr.

10/9/17 @ 10:55 AM
OO Buckshot
User since 10/4/05

I have shot about 10 or 12 deer with my 7mm rem mag.  Distances from 20 yards to 150 yards with most shots being in the 50-80 yard range.  Ive always used federal premium ballistic tips 150 gr.  The exit hole when shot is placed behind the shoulder without bone hit is not overly excessive golf ball size or less.  Longest track job was a spike that made it 50 yards but other than that they have all been a shot and flop for few yards or just dead right there.  Ive never needed a reason to change.  My dad uses the 139 gr hornandy and I am not impressed I think its too much speed and not enough mass.  I would stick in the 150/160 gr range ive also seen some 180 gr exit holes that have darn near gutted the whole deer to me the 180s just seemed like to much for a whitetail in this caliber.

9/2/17 @ 7:28 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I have always used 160 grain bullets in the 7mm,best for wind and they hold together better then lighter bullets.About 15 years ago I started loading nosler accrubond,costly but I do not target shoot with them.They hold together and are Very accurat.

9/1/17 @ 1:26 PM
Trophyhunter01
User since 3/10/13

Shortly after I got mine I used if for whitetail and used the 139 grain hornaday ballistic tip, and was less than impressed shot a doe in the front shoulder and lost it only thing I can figure is the bullet disinigrated on the bone then I shot a mature buck at 75 yards internal damage was amazing only chunks of lung and half a heart but it still ran 70 yards in thick cover, there was absolutely no blood trail because the bullet never exited if there wasn't 2 feet of snow to follow the tracks and I had a good idea where I thought it went down I may not have found it so now I just stick with the 45-70 but if I did go back I would look into a heavier round

8/28/17 @ 2:24 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

My dad and my uncles have been shooting the 7mm mags for as long as I can remember and they've shot a lot of deer over the years.  They use the Remington Coreloc in either 150gr or 180gr.  I used a 7mm mag for a few years and was shooting the Hornady Superformance in 139gr.  I dropped few deer with that bullet without issue.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 23 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE