SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

2018 Gun Season

11/13/18 @ 1:43 PM
INITIAL POST
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Come on guys! Let’s see some excitement here. What’s everyone doing for the opener? I always enjoy hearing about traditions and stories.

This is my favorite weekend of the year to circle the wagons with people who don’t make it to the cabin often. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 85 posts
11/24/18 @ 8:16 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

AAww, dont feel bad, ya can always pick up some road kill to replace the meat.

11/23/18 @ 8:50 PM
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06

Well got to him about 4 o'clock today. Caped him out and came to the conclusion that the meat was no longer good. The smell was right and a slight slim on it. Feel bad we could not use him, but we put our tag on him and super glad we were able to find him. The spot he was found, we literally walk by Everytime walking, so not sure how we missed him or if he moved there over night.

Buddy knocked him down on the shot, deer got up 30 mins later and ran. We had blood for sixty yards and bumped him twice. Decided to pack out and wait a few hours. Came back and lost all blood and couldnt find him. So it sucks but it happens I guess. The deer was shot in the front leg by the neighbors and my buddy hit about 3/4 back and high. 

Deer is a 12 pointer with a 12 inch spread

So far this season our group has got 4 bucks. 6 pointer, 8 pointer, 9 pointer, and 12 pointer. Seena lots of does and passed on a couple small bucks. We have seen deer just about Everytime out. First time I can say that in many years. Eau Claire county, central forest

8 pointer is not in the picture

11/23/18 @ 6:53 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Slim to none chance of salvaging an meat. How close were they to finding it on the day they shot it? That would be a clue to how long it lived and thus how long it was left to lay and begin to spoil. Wound location is another consideration, guts, liver, bleeding flesh wound. Once expired the hide on deer will retain heat and begin to bloat. It would take a day or more before the body heat dissipated and the flesh became cold. That time frame would allow bacteria to run wild and begin spoiling. Gut shot quicker and worse on the spoilage. Gutting it should tell you, if need be hang and skin then use the nose test. As a butcher that used to hunt with our group always said “the nose knows” when assessing a wounded and delayed recovery deer. 

11/23/18 @ 6:01 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

24 hours max but not 4 days. Not worth the risk. Lots of internal bacteria go to work on it even in the cold as madforlabs said.

11/23/18 @ 5:00 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Mighty Hunter - I would guess that deer is just fine. Neat looking buck too. Temps have been on your side, but like others said it’ll be obvious once you skin it out. 

11/23/18 @ 2:38 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

Saw on Facebook that the Moose the DNR relocated in the Clark county forest that was near Fairchild is no more. Hunters found it in the Clark county forest pretty much consumed by wolves is my guess. No Idea what else could have killed it.

11/23/18 @ 2:36 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Gut shot, no way...

Shot elsewhere, likely no way...

Just too much trapped body heat and time for bacteria to start doing its thing, even with below freezing temps.

Once skinned if flesh has blueish or greenish tinge you're all done. Also, you can normally smell if there is a problem.

11/23/18 @ 1:03 PM
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06

Question for you guys

Buddy hit a nice buck Sunday morning.. basically followed him the rest of the day with no luck. Farmer called us last night (Thursday) said they found the buck. Went and got it. My question is..is the meat still good? 

No animals got to it, temps here have not got above freezing til this morning (Friday). 

I gutted it last night and is hanging in garage. Gonna clean it up today or at least try. 

Any thoughts?

11/21/18 @ 1:11 PM
phowlsant
phowlsant
User since 2/25/12

I got a nice 9 pointer opening day. Only deer i saw. Would've been an 11 pointer in not broken. Biggest buck for me after 18 years of deer hunting. 

Side note:

On our way home, saw a nice piebald buck in the back of someone's trailer driving east bound on 94. If you're on here, i would love to see a picture of it.

11/21/18 @ 9:33 AM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

Were a little past the halfway mark and our group of 20 had a above average year so far with lots of rutting still going on opening weekend! We have a total of 5 bucks(2 nubbies) and 2 does with most people at least seeing a deer! I read all these horror stories of big bucks and dying traditions and I just thank the good lord that I hunt with people who still congratulate spikes forks and does because we know every deer is a trophy up here! Also extremely happy to have tons of public available to explore and keep the scenery fresh! Lastly as far as a traditional 9 day camp where you’re chances of getting one on day 9 are almost as good as day 1 keeps you on your toes! Most years I hunt all 9 days and that still isn’t enough time to get lucky! As for me I got a little buck with bow and haven’t seen a horn yet all gun season so I’m still at it for another 4 days! Best of luck to all still at it!! We usually get another 1 or 2 before it’s all over so keep the stories coming because I love reading all these reports while waiting to get lucky! 

11/20/18 @ 11:18 AM
larryallen
PRO MEMBER User since 12/4/02

Hunted Saturday and Sunday in Vilas county south of the Wood duck and Snipe Lake game trails.  Seemed like there were a good number of hunters but very few shots both days.  Lots of wolf looking paw prints around though.  Saw a small forkhorn Saturday a 8 am but no shot opportunity.  Are there any other hunters hunting that area that had good results? Thought things might be getting better up there but this year was as slow as it has been for the last several years.

11/20/18 @ 11:03 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Brother in law found the wounded deer he shot at on Sunday. Still alive no less. Found it on his way out to go look for it and shot it in his bed. The shot he took Sunday did not expand at all he said and missed vitals which is why he didn't find any blood. Said what wounded it before must have been during archery. Honestly quite a bit bigger than how he'd described it before he found it, so at least he's got one to be proud of. 

11/20/18 @ 9:48 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

On opening day in the Chequamegon I got one of those weird little bucks that tried to grow a rack but didn't have any points on it so it was technically a spiker even though it went up and curled around.  My dad got boogered by a few deer, the wind was wrong for him.  He had a chance at a decent buck but it didn't work out.

Speaking of checking cameras, normally I like to sit all day but since I was done and only going with my dad, when he wanted to go eat lunch we headed back to our cabin.  Checked a camera near his stand later on and the same buck from the day before walked by at noon.  Just have to laugh.

Snow was nice for tracking and slick for dragging out.  Cold on Sunday morning though with snow blowing in my face...  Might go out Friday with my son.

11/20/18 @ 9:42 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Marquette county- 4 deer down so far for my group. 3 does and one decent 6 point.  I got one of the does Sunday evening and she dressed at over 150lbs. Absolute cow.  I missed a nice 8 point on opening morning. I'm pretty sure my shot deflected off a branch because I have no idea how I missed.  I saw a ton of deer opening weekend but nothing since. Hopefully things pick up soon. 

11/19/18 @ 10:41 PM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

Thanks Jimmer

Displaying 1 to 15 of 85 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE