2018 Gun Season

11/13/18 @ 12:43 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Bowhunting Guy
Bowhunting Guy
USER since 5/22/18

Come on guys! Let’s see some excitement here. What’s everyone doing for the opener? I always enjoy hearing about traditions and stories.

This is my favorite weekend of the year to circle the wagons with people who don’t make it to the cabin often. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 85 Posts
11/24/18 @ 7:16 AM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01

AAww, dont feel bad, ya can always pick up some road kill to replace the meat.

Post Your Comment
11/23/18 @ 7:50 PM
MightyHunter
MightyHunter
USER since 3/25/06

Well got to him about 4 o'clock today. Caped him out and came to the conclusion that the meat was no longer good. The smell was right and a slight slim on it. Feel bad we could not use him, but we put our tag on him and super glad we were able to find him. The spot he was found, we literally walk by Everytime walking, so not sure how we missed him or if he moved there over night.

Buddy knocked him down on the shot, deer got up 30 mins later and ran. We had blood for sixty yards and bumped him twice. Decided to pack out and wait a few hours. Came back and lost all blood and couldnt find him. So it sucks but it happens I guess. The deer was shot in the front leg by the neighbors and my buddy hit about 3/4 back and high. 

Deer is a 12 pointer with a 12 inch spread

So far this season our group has got 4 bucks. 6 pointer, 8 pointer, 9 pointer, and 12 pointer. Seena lots of does and passed on a couple small bucks. We have seen deer just about Everytime out. First time I can say that in many years. Eau Claire county, central forest

8 pointer is not in the picture

Post Your Comment
11/23/18 @ 5:53 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02

Slim to none chance of salvaging an meat. How close were they to finding it on the day they shot it? That would be a clue to how long it lived and thus how long it was left to lay and begin to spoil. Wound location is another consideration, guts, liver, bleeding flesh wound. Once expired the hide on deer will retain heat and begin to bloat. It would take a day or more before the body heat dissipated and the flesh became cold. That time frame would allow bacteria to run wild and begin spoiling. Gut shot quicker and worse on the spoilage. Gutting it should tell you, if need be hang and skin then use the nose test. As a butcher that used to hunt with our group always said “the nose knows” when assessing a wounded and delayed recovery deer. 

Post Your Comment
11/23/18 @ 5:01 PM
brews4995
brews4995
USER since 4/2/10

24 hours max but not 4 days. Not worth the risk. Lots of internal bacteria go to work on it even in the cold as madforlabs said.

Edited on 11/23/18 5:03 PM
Post Your Comment
11/23/18 @ 4:00 PM
Bowhunting Guy
Bowhunting Guy
USER since 5/22/18

Mighty Hunter - I would guess that deer is just fine. Neat looking buck too. Temps have been on your side, but like others said it’ll be obvious once you skin it out. 

Post Your Comment
11/23/18 @ 1:38 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
USER since 7/24/01

Saw on Facebook that the Moose the DNR relocated in the Clark county forest that was near Fairchild is no more. Hunters found it in the Clark county forest pretty much consumed by wolves is my guess. No Idea what else could have killed it.

Post Your Comment
11/23/18 @ 1:36 PM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12

Gut shot, no way...

Shot elsewhere, likely no way...

Just too much trapped body heat and time for bacteria to start doing its thing, even with below freezing temps.

Once skinned if flesh has blueish or greenish tinge you're all done. Also, you can normally smell if there is a problem.

Post Your Comment
11/23/18 @ 1:18 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

How’d it smell when you were gutting it?  That can give you an idea too.  Yes, guts stink, but rotten guts have a different kind of stink.

edit - spelling 

Edited on 11/23/18 1:20 PM
Post Your Comment
11/23/18 @ 12:17 PM
Skunky
Skunky
USER since 3/15/14

You will know when you start butchering. If was a gut shot thinkn prob not. Gonna have to go by the smell?? An color!!

Post Your Comment
11/23/18 @ 12:03 PM
MightyHunter
MightyHunter
USER since 3/25/06

Question for you guys

Buddy hit a nice buck Sunday morning.. basically followed him the rest of the day with no luck. Farmer called us last night (Thursday) said they found the buck. Went and got it. My question is..is the meat still good? 

No animals got to it, temps here have not got above freezing til this morning (Friday). 

I gutted it last night and is hanging in garage. Gonna clean it up today or at least try. 

Any thoughts?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 85 Posts