2017 Gun Deer Season

11/20/17 @ 5:05 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
USER since 2/5/05

Let's hear how everyone's hunt went. We had 4 hunters, we got 5 deer. I was the only one who did not shoot one. I would have been happy to kill one but I was fine with  not gutting one. Burnett county 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 68 Posts
12/10/17 @ 11:36 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
USER since 1/19/02

Waupaca co:

hunted Friday,saturday evening, and this morning trying to fill a slick tag never saw a deer a few shots around but not many, walked around later this morning and cut a set or 2 of yote tracks and one fresh deer track, still nice to be out.

goodhuntin all!

Post Your Comment
11/29/17 @ 4:56 PM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06

We got 19 for 9 hunters, two of whom were mentoring youngsters at least part of the time.  Biggest was 10 pt, 17" my son shot opening morning.  Lots of deer around where we hunt (Marathon/Portage line).   This is our best kill in recent years, but not by much.

Post Your Comment
11/29/17 @ 2:11 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

Nice Buck Jimmer! Fun times when it works out. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
11/29/17 @ 12:57 PM
musky nut
musky nut
USER since 7/20/12

Awesome deer guys! Great story Jimmer . Thanks for sharing.  Pretty intense. Great way to end the season! 

Post Your Comment
11/29/17 @ 12:30 PM
Jackal
Jackal
USER since 5/19/05

Awesome buck and great story! Congratulations. It is amazing how a season go from a bust to an adrenaline rush that lasts a year in a mere split second. 

Post Your Comment
11/29/17 @ 12:14 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
USER since 1/11/05

Had a good rifle season, sat dark to dark both days of the opener and 4 hours on Monday afternoon, all with at least some movement. I saw a lot of does and fawns, a few small bucks and one 2 yr old 8 pt taking a nap in the sun. Wednesday morning was clear, cold and not a bit of wind, could have heard a pin drop at 100 yards. I saw a handful of deer starting around 7:30, does, fawns and some unidentified. Around 8 I had commotion on the top behind me and to my northwest, it was running deer but I never did see them. A short time later I had two does and two fawns work through, one went over the top with her fawn, the other hung 20 yards behind me with hers. She knew I was there but couldn’t figure me out. I thought about taking her but she was almost skylined and there was action on the hillside across from me, I just didn’t know what it was. So I just watched her at eye level til around 8:30, she was basically doing the same, just not nervous enough to leave.

At that point I saw another deer coming around the top in the brush about 100 yards NW of me, then I saw enough antler to know it was a buck I’d shoot if I got the chance. Seeing deer in this place is one thing, shooting then is another, it’s indescribably thick.

The buck skipped the top and was gone about 5 minutes, maybe checking the other doe and fawn, I was happy when I saw him angling my way again through the thick stuff, no shot options. When he completely disappeared in the brush about 30-40 yards from me I slipped my fingers out of my left glove, without moving my arm or hand off of the rifle, knowing the next time I’d see him he’d be quartering to me at about 20 yards to check the doe behind me, so it would be only a split second opportunity with the doe gone the second I moved, or with him pushing her into the brush. She must have been dialed in on me and not him approaching, she saw that tiny movement, blew and ran behind me over the top. It was too thick to know if he went with her or just froze up on alert, so I did the same knowing it was my only chance. After probably 10 minutes of sitting totally motionless and seeing no movement I figured he’d gone, too, then he finally turned his head and slowly started going back on the trail he’d come in on. I took the first and only shot I had through the least thick stuff he would walk through, about 50 yards out. It all worked out. 8:50 AM on the nose.

I know it’s wordy, but I enjoy all deer stories and this was easily the most intense non-bow hunt I’ve had. Most people probably just look at pics, but I like the story behind them just as much.

Beefy 8 point with bladed g2’s, 18” inside. Bases are 5 1/2” and he carries his mass all through.

Post Your Comment
11/28/17 @ 9:54 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
USER since 1/11/05

Dandy buck. Congrats! Apparently there are a few public land bruisers out there to be had. Looks like you must’ve had a little work into it.

Post Your Comment
11/28/17 @ 9:11 PM
Jackal
Jackal
USER since 5/19/05

a few more

Edited on 11/28/17 9:12 PM
Post Your Comment
11/28/17 @ 9:03 PM
Jackal
Jackal
USER since 5/19/05

Didn't make it up to the cabin in Sawyer County this year. My ill dog kept me close to home. Sat on a few of my favorite public land spots logging in a total of 41 hours. Saw a total of 3 does, and one buck which ended my season. Second year in a row I tagged out a 12 point on the last Sunday of the season. Couldn't be happier. 166 5/8 gross green.

Post Your Comment
11/28/17 @ 12:52 PM
OO Buckshot
OO Buckshot
USER since 10/4/05

Hunted a mix of public and private as I do every gun season.  Start opening weekend in Northern Adams county.  My previously good location got over run by hunters and the loggers were in there this year taking out a good number of mature trees out my stand location.  Decided to scout out a nearby area Friday that looked good on a map pretty secluded over 3/4 mile in.

I sat with a buddy 150 maybe 200 yards apart since it was pretty thick stand of oaks.  He took the ridge top I took the river bottom.  Sat all day saturday with good deer movement we just couldn't get a shot off.  Between us we saw 10 deer only 1 fawn offered a legitimate shot opportunity but it got a pass.  Wouldn't shoot a fawn and more importantly wouldn't want to drag it out that distance.  Call it a success day 1 we were on deer after never hunting this spot and only doing a quick scout job.  Sunday came and there was very few shots and no deer sightings in the same spot, hunted until noon.  Monday morning tried a location I shot deer out of in the past since the orange army was gone I figured I could give it a try.  Hunted until 11 no sightings got too warm.

Hunted Wednesday in Dodge co.  Walking to my stand through the field and I have a nice sized deer feeding in the field 20yards from the stand.  Try to army crawl into position over the hill for a shot by it skylined me on the horizon and took off when I was finally legal to shoot.  No more deer seen that day

Thursday morning hunt only, no deer seen until I was undressing at the truck 5 adult does scream across the road within 100 yards through the field.  By the time I grabbed my gun up and readied they were 250+ and booking so I wasn't going to take a pop shot at deer like that not risking a wounded one.

Friday too hot decided to let the woods rest.

Saturday morning cool and frosty sunny high pressure day have a good feeling.  I turn around in the stand and sit down after an hour of looking behind me where deer normally come from.  I notice a doe pop out of nowhere and is standing at 20 yards.  She must have spotted me when I turned around she pulled a 180 and trotted off.  My gun was still hanging on a tree hook so a grabbed it as she was leaving.  As she is trotting off I hear a noise up of the ridge and seconds later a deer comes trotting in down the ridge.  Through the tree in an opening I see a decent buck.  He makes it into my shooting lane at 25 yards and sent a 200gr core lockt from the ole marlin 35 rem.  No reaction and picks up pace as hes wheels past me at 15 yards i send another one his way thinking I missed on the first go round.  Both shots hit their mark and he piled up 20-25 yards from the stand.  My biggest to date.  Midweek deer sightings a lot lower than previous years.  I think its time to scale back on the doe tags.  The last 2 season between gun and bow have seen a drop off in deer sightings.

Edited on 11/28/17 1:01 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 68 Posts