SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

2017 Gun Deer Season

11/20/17 @ 6:05 AM
INITIAL POST
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Let's hear how everyone's hunt went. We had 4 hunters, we got 5 deer. I was the only one who did not shoot one. I would have been happy to kill one but I was fine with  not gutting one. Burnett county 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 77 posts
9/4/18 @ 1:10 PM
earlyretirement
earlyretirement
User since 3/2/13

getting fired up for deer season again.  I think half my trail cameras out right now have a better chance of taking a picture of a fish than a deer as everything around here is flooded.  I don't think I ever posted this last year.  So here is the video of the second time out walking during the gun season with my son on the last day of the season.  Turned out to be a memorable day.  scored 127 9 point

3/31/18 @ 9:30 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

That's a good perspective, Hookem. What everybody wants out of their hunting ground is different. But seeing nice deer is pretty much a universal. 

3/30/18 @ 11:14 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Hunting land is not worth the price in Wisconsin anymore.. I have  7 ac. on the Flambeau River with  a cabin. Should have no problem getting 60K for it.  I can put 60K in AT&T stocks at get $3,000 in dividends a year almost tax free. Plus , I dont have to worry about it or pay taxes and maintain it. I can use it to go bear hunting in Minnesota that every year, or Wyoming for antelope, or just go fishing on the gulf of Mexico for a week every winter.  If it were not for good grouse and bear hunting that land would be all but worthless. I do however enjoy catching smallmouth in the river  but have not caught a walleye in several years and I didn't keep a single fish last year from the river .
3/29/18 @ 10:03 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
I would expect land prices to settle down or decrease in much of the state.  You aren't alone.  People are fed up with spending 2-4K per acre to hunt and only be let down when big bucks aren't flooding their food plots like they see on TV.  I know a lot of guys that are instead hunting in other states and spending much less and routinely getting nice bucks.
3/27/18 @ 7:47 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

Five days in the woods, never fired a shoot for the 4th year in a row, sure glad I bought this property !!!!

3/26/18 @ 1:36 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Ya he has a tight rack. Cool Buck. Congrats!

3/26/18 @ 12:39 PM
GBEyeCatcher
User since 7/24/07

It scored 141 1/8. Was a bit surprised. Brow tines of 9” and 8” add up. Only had a 13.5” inside spread.  

3/26/18 @ 7:37 AM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Nice Buck. What did he score?

3/21/18 @ 8:41 PM
GBEyeCatcher
User since 7/24/07

Little late but this is my 2017 rifle buck. Waited 16 yrs to pull the trigger again during rifle season. 

2017 Gun Deer Season photo by GBEyeCatcher
12/10/17 @ 12:36 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Waupaca co:

hunted Friday,saturday evening, and this morning trying to fill a slick tag never saw a deer a few shots around but not many, walked around later this morning and cut a set or 2 of yote tracks and one fresh deer track, still nice to be out.

goodhuntin all!

11/29/17 @ 5:56 PM
land man
User since 9/12/06

We got 19 for 9 hunters, two of whom were mentoring youngsters at least part of the time.  Biggest was 10 pt, 17" my son shot opening morning.  Lots of deer around where we hunt (Marathon/Portage line).   This is our best kill in recent years, but not by much.

11/29/17 @ 3:11 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Nice Buck Jimmer! Fun times when it works out. Mrt.

11/29/17 @ 1:57 PM
musky nut
musky nut
User since 7/20/12

Awesome deer guys! Great story Jimmer . Thanks for sharing.  Pretty intense. Great way to end the season! 

11/29/17 @ 1:30 PM
Jackal
Jackal
User since 5/19/05

Awesome buck and great story! Congratulations. It is amazing how a season go from a bust to an adrenaline rush that lasts a year in a mere split second. 

11/29/17 @ 1:14 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Had a good rifle season, sat dark to dark both days of the opener and 4 hours on Monday afternoon, all with at least some movement. I saw a lot of does and fawns, a few small bucks and one 2 yr old 8 pt taking a nap in the sun. Wednesday morning was clear, cold and not a bit of wind, could have heard a pin drop at 100 yards. I saw a handful of deer starting around 7:30, does, fawns and some unidentified. Around 8 I had commotion on the top behind me and to my northwest, it was running deer but I never did see them. A short time later I had two does and two fawns work through, one went over the top with her fawn, the other hung 20 yards behind me with hers. She knew I was there but couldn’t figure me out. I thought about taking her but she was almost skylined and there was action on the hillside across from me, I just didn’t know what it was. So I just watched her at eye level til around 8:30, she was basically doing the same, just not nervous enough to leave.

At that point I saw another deer coming around the top in the brush about 100 yards NW of me, then I saw enough antler to know it was a buck I’d shoot if I got the chance. Seeing deer in this place is one thing, shooting then is another, it’s indescribably thick.

The buck skipped the top and was gone about 5 minutes, maybe checking the other doe and fawn, I was happy when I saw him angling my way again through the thick stuff, no shot options. When he completely disappeared in the brush about 30-40 yards from me I slipped my fingers out of my left glove, without moving my arm or hand off of the rifle, knowing the next time I’d see him he’d be quartering to me at about 20 yards to check the doe behind me, so it would be only a split second opportunity with the doe gone the second I moved, or with him pushing her into the brush. She must have been dialed in on me and not him approaching, she saw that tiny movement, blew and ran behind me over the top. It was too thick to know if he went with her or just froze up on alert, so I did the same knowing it was my only chance. After probably 10 minutes of sitting totally motionless and seeing no movement I figured he’d gone, too, then he finally turned his head and slowly started going back on the trail he’d come in on. I took the first and only shot I had through the least thick stuff he would walk through, about 50 yards out. It all worked out. 8:50 AM on the nose.

I know it’s wordy, but I enjoy all deer stories and this was easily the most intense non-bow hunt I’ve had. Most people probably just look at pics, but I like the story behind them just as much.

Beefy 8 point with bladed g2’s, 18” inside. Bases are 5 1/2” and he carries his mass all through.

2017 Gun Deer Season photo by the Jimmer
Displaying 1 to 15 of 77 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE