2016 Western Hunts

1/14/16 @ 4:29 PM
ORIGINAL POST
dc cady
dc cady
USER since 3/10/07
Let's hear about your plans and hopes for this season. I will once again put in for a limited draw elk tag in Wyoming. My brother and I have max points and hope luck is on our side when the draw comes.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 84 Posts
6/14/17 @ 2:24 PM
prusta81
prusta81
USER since 1/19/09

In September 2016 two friends and I, all from Wisconsin headed out on our first ever western hunt.  It was a do-it-yourself archery elk hunt in an over-the-counter unit.  I feel as if we were prepared as we could be going out there and were fortunate enough to harvest a 330" bull.  Moral of the story, if you're thinking about heading out west but are hesitant because it seems like a daunting task - just go do it, you'll have no regrets!

Here's the video from our hunt (Click here).  Enjoy!

Edited on 6/14/17 2:25 PM
Post Your Comment
6/4/17 @ 12:25 PM
Treeshark
Treeshark
USER since 4/5/09

Drew early muzzle loader deer tag in CO with 6 points.  Really helps kick the training into high gear knowing that is only a few months away.

Theoretically have the next several years planned out at this point to hopefully avoid having to deal with any OTC or leftover issues (but been surprised by point creep before). WY pronghorn, WY deer, WI bear and CO elk hopefully in that order. Planning for future hunts sure is a nice time killer during the winter.

Post Your Comment
10/29/16 @ 7:55 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01

We had a good hunt, North of Gunnison. Yes it was warm out.

Post Your Comment
10/26/16 @ 6:35 PM
stangl52
stangl52
USER since 6/23/06

toothy critter......PM me on more info. This year probably wont work for me bc I already went elk hunting, unsuccessfully. Our area was in a forest fire. My bad for not looking into that ahead of time. Lesson learned. We did hear some bulls....saw 2 elk, and were drawn on a bull that busted us before we got a shot. Also screwed up on a couple of stalks and did some dumb things......but it was our first bow elk hunt DIY. So lots of info was learned. I will be a more successful hunter next time. 

But that NW Neb hunt has been on my radar for 6 yrs....just never pulled the trigger yet. 

Post Your Comment
10/26/16 @ 9:46 AM
Fishy1960
Fishy1960
USER since 10/15/15

I  was successful on my solo Drop camp in SW Colorado- Full moon and warm temps made for tough hunting-but I was able to watch this bull go into dark timber on day 3 of my hunt and  bed at Daylight- I positioned  for an afternoon/evening hunt-he came out of the timber with only 5 minutes of shooting light left-easy 125 yard shot!

Post Your Comment
10/20/16 @ 7:41 PM
drptine
drptine
USER since 6/6/07

Last load for me off the mountain.

Post Your Comment
10/20/16 @ 5:57 PM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12

Another bull down...

Post Your Comment
10/19/16 @ 11:45 PM
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Drptine

Awesome animal!  Story please! 

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
10/19/16 @ 8:24 PM
drptine
drptine
USER since 6/6/07
BULL DOWN!

Post Your Comment
10/6/16 @ 7:08 PM
SB Dad
SB Dad
USER since 8/16/09

Had another good trip to Wyoming.Antelope numbers still down in our area but seem to be getting better.Deer are coming back also but I did not draw a tag this year.Got this buck the first morning.Had the tenderloins tonight!Time to get after the Whitetails here at home now!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 84 Posts