2014 Milw Co Zoo Hunting Reports

11/4/14 @ 10:00 AM
ORIGINAL POST
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
I finally drew a tag for a cull giraffe hunt for next week. I'm going to give it a go with a borrowed bow to start but if I can't seal the deal I'm going with a rifle. It should be fairly close quarters so a 30-06 should do the trick. I was out scouting yesterday afternoon during my lunch break and saw the giraffes that I can get. I'm gonna try for the tallest one but I'll take what I can get if it gets late in my season. I did a little fishing and got some nice gills for dinner while I was there. Cool to see you can still get Samson figurines at the gift shop!! I did see a couple other guys scouting as well. One guy was lucky enough to draw a lion tag and the other for a baboon. I guess their season starts right before gun deer season so I hope they do well. I also saw several banded ducks in the aviary that I figure I'll set up on early Saturday morning. Should be a good time! Good luck to everyone else and be sure to add your reports!!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts
2/12/17 @ 8:23 PM
bassmaster+recordracks
bassmaster+recordracks
USER since 2/25/12

Been scoping this area out. Be advised they are baiting there in a county/area that is not permitted. I have seen fish and meat spread all over the area. Remember ignorance is no excuse and I don't want to be caught near the illegal baiting. I have not seen any baiting at night. What do you think about the night hunt?

Post Your Comment
1/21/17 @ 12:40 AM
RangerKid
RangerKid
USER since 6/26/01

Was planning on keeping this secrete, but this is just to good, to not share with the L.L. family. For the adventurous minded, and those ready to spread your wings, here's the lowdown. Now Milwaukee has a great zoo mind you, but you really have to check out, and try the San Diego experience. My favorite game plan with this venue, is taking the sky tram across the park, and getting a snipper view of so many animals. Ohhhh me gosh. My heart was racing so hard, I could hardly contain myself. First off there is the rush of having to be very discrete, as the California libs don't take to well to firearms. My first animal of choice, for it's great beauty, was a Maned Wolf. All my range timed payed off, with a stunning knockdown shot, between a rock outcrop cavity. Mind you this is while the tram is moving. My connection on the ground, with his grounds uniform costume on, had no trouble making the pick-up, and put him in an extra heavy duty leaf bag. He will be one handsome addition to my gallery. Also took an arctic fox, and a koala that was in a tree, just below eye level of my position. Only mishap I had, was just as I was squeezing the trigger on a king penguin that was above the tank, the tram jolted to a stop. That caused my shot to be way low, and I shot through the penguin viewing window. I watched with horror, as the hole in the glass strained and the crack spread.  NOT GOOD. Took about 25 seconds, but can you say tsunami. What a sight, penguins sliding out everywhere. That was time to wrap it up. Luckily, I also brought my pistol, as I had an unexpected opportunity to shoot an anaconda at close range, on the way out. What a great 8 foot bonus. OK boys, time to find an old car tire, and start practicing, at hitting a moving target.  

Edited on 1/21/17 5:52 PM
Post Your Comment
1/17/17 @ 12:54 PM
cabinbum
cabinbum
USER since 4/1/10

i thunk the biggest round allowed is .22 short. they want it to be a challenge.

Post Your Comment
1/14/17 @ 10:25 PM
bassmaster+recordracks
bassmaster+recordracks
USER since 2/25/12

Are there any gorillas in the Milwaukee zoo? If you hunt them in the cage what caliber hand gun do you trust to do the job before he reaches you? Would you fill confident with a 357?

Post Your Comment
11/19/16 @ 8:48 PM
crobar
crobar
USER since 6/19/01

No advantage with the high winds. Traffic on I-94 was too heavy and spooked all the big ones back to their hiding spot....behind the train station which is a refuge area.

Post Your Comment
11/18/16 @ 8:41 PM
crobar
crobar
USER since 6/19/01

Noticed a nice 8 pointer hanging around lake Evinrude. Applied for a metro tag an plan on headin out early tomorrow. The high winds should give me an advantage.

Post Your Comment
7/24/15 @ 12:13 PM
snkskgb
snkskgb
USER since 7/14/08
Now that the lion got out, they have opened all the seasons early! See you there tomorrow morning, gates open at 4am. I'll be in the tree just west of the bat cage.

Post Your Comment
7/21/15 @ 1:11 PM
duxup
duxup
USER since 8/5/05
To answer the "local duck" question....that's easy, the locals ignore standard calls and only respond to the calls "get your popcorn (peanuts) here". Come in on a string.

Was there with the grandson a few weeks ago and he wants a peacock in the worst way. Would look good in the cabin next to a turkey fan. Told him "next year".

Post Your Comment
7/9/15 @ 8:52 AM
fishy
fishy
USER since 1/12/02
Some of my bear hunters go to the zoo and eye up the bear to judge them on weights- its gotta be funny watching them with there real intentions while all the other people are commenting on how cute they are!

Post Your Comment
7/4/15 @ 6:39 PM
crobar
crobar
USER since 6/19/01
My niece was at the zoo yesterday ,and said it is being overrun with Chipmunks. Especially near the concession stand by Monkey island. Gonna head over tonite when the fireworks are on to conceal the noise of the shotgun, yes i have nite vision googles. Not sure if #6 shot is ok, or double ought buck. I think its like Coyotes, no closed season. I hear they are tasty grilled on a stick with steak sauce. Wink

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 23 Posts