Will a Wacky Rig work if the water temp is 55 degrees?

5/13/14 @ 8:43 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Point Muskie Hunter
Point Muskie Hunter
USER since 1/28/13
Right now I want to catch some bass and I'm wondering will the wacky rig work if the water temp is 55 degrees?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
5/25/14 @ 9:07 AM
bassaddic
bassaddic
USER since 8/20/07
yes it is a fine choice, especially if the fish are cruising the shallows. cast far in front of them and work it slowly back

Post Your Comment
5/21/14 @ 5:50 PM
WillCFish
WillCFish
USER since 4/6/11
Yes, I've fished them when the temp was in the upper 40's.

Post Your Comment
5/15/14 @ 3:40 PM
Chris@MuskyMikes
Chris@MuskyMikes
USER since 6/17/08
One thing you can do if the water is cold is downsize a bit. Wacky rigs pre-date the senko by a long time.

Instead of the senko, use a Zoom Centipede or Chompers French Fry. Same rig, smaller profile, and it will sink much slower.

Post Your Comment
5/15/14 @ 8:56 AM
Steve @ G & S
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Heck, why wouldn't it work? I've used wacky rigged unweighted senko type lures down here in Tennessee in the winter and the bass ate them just fine. Typically wacky rigged lures fall slowly and that's what you're looking for, a slow fall....

Formerly Steve @ G & S

Post Your Comment
5/14/14 @ 9:16 PM
haulin bass
haulin bass
USER since 4/8/07
Also a good choice for post cold front conditions this time of year. Just wacky rig it on a stand up jig, let it sink to bottom, twitch a couple times then dead-stick for a bit.

Post Your Comment
5/14/14 @ 8:40 AM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
yes, bass are quite active at 55.

Post Your Comment
5/14/14 @ 7:22 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
A wacky rig fished with a drop shot is a very good option in cold water.My three cold water rigs,I consider cold water as below 50 degrees,is a drop shot rig,suspending jerk bait and a light bucktail jig tied with lot's of bucktail so it drops very slow.With all that said sometimes a rattle bait ripped will just hammer bass.

Post Your Comment
5/13/14 @ 9:13 PM
519vx
519vx
USER since 7/7/05
Not a good choice in cool water. Better off depending on what type of lake and cover to throw a tube, jerk bait, rattle trap or a jig.

Post Your Comment