Whopper Plopper

8/8/18 @ 8:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Highbridge
Highbridge
USER since 1/29/18
I caught 2 bass throwing a musky sized whopper popper, both fish hit with force.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
8/14/18 @ 8:35 AM
jbird68
jbird68
USER since 1/24/05

I've tried the Whopper Plopper 90's in Bone and Loon colors. I've only caught 3 bass all summer. I've had more luck with the buzz bait. Yes, you can't pause it but it makes a louder clacking noise compared to the plopper. I still throw the plopper some times but if I ain't catching fish I'm tying on the Buzz. I caught my biggest bass this year pulling the Buzz over the edge of lilly pads. I threw it to an opening in the lillies, stated cranking right away and as soon as it got to the edge this 3 lbs bass slammed it. Now that is fun! 

Post Your Comment
8/10/18 @ 11:14 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
USER since 12/9/08
We have the Whopper Plopper in the 190 and 130 size.  This year my son caught 5 large bass on the 130.  We have caught a couple of 25 lb muskies on the 190 version.

Post Your Comment
8/10/18 @ 3:56 PM
BassWhacker
BassWhacker
USER since 9/4/17

I have three sizes of ploppers 110, 90, and the new 75. I don't tie them on much because they don't get much attention. I definitely have more luck fishing spooks. I can't pinpoint as to why, they sound good, but haven't managed to get on a real Whopper plopper bite. If you just like to cast and wind scoop one up. But for the price there are better options in my opinion. 

Post Your Comment
8/10/18 @ 10:01 AM
Scott F
Scott F
USER since 6/12/10

To say that it's just like any other propeller lure means;

A. You've never used one.

B. You won't pay $13-$17 for a lure.

C. You are jealous of those who do pay up for them.

D. You don't know what you are talking about.

E. All of the above

They may be a fad, but they are because of how well they catch bass. No Heddon torpedo ever gave off the amount of noise and vibrations a Whopper Plopper does. The closest other lure to compare it to would be a buzzbait which will come through weeds better but, you can't stop and pause a buzzbait. Yes, they are expensive. If you can't bring yourself to spend that amount on a lure, don't. But It's a fun lure to fish and they are catch a lot of bass anytime the water is warm. 

Post Your Comment
8/10/18 @ 5:29 AM
Johnny Bravo
Johnny Bravo
USER since 10/6/17

Just got my first bass on a whopper plopper, it was just a small one though.

Started with a kastmaster & saw a wake but no hit, moved onto a paddle tail then a frog no luck there either, first cast with the whopper plopper got him.

I don't fish it much given how weedy it is where I fish so I can't really say how well they work, but it does catch fish and I will use it again when I get a chance to.

Post Your Comment
8/9/18 @ 9:38 PM
fetch-um-up
fetch-um-up
USER since 2/19/06

Used one in Canada last 2 springs for Smallies and I can tell you it is a quality lure that casts like a bullet and can stand up to a 35" Pike as well.  I'm a fan of them......

Post Your Comment
8/8/18 @ 11:29 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
USER since 2/8/06

It’s just a fad like hula-hoops and mood rings. Because it’s new and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. They’re no different than a Heddon Torpedo or any other propeller lure. To hear people say that it’s the only thing that Bass will hit on is rediculous. I’ve caught more big Bass on Musky lures than I have with so called Bass lures. It’s more about having your bait where the fish are. Any predator will hit any bait if they are hungry or feel threatened.

Post Your Comment
8/8/18 @ 10:28 AM
bassaddic
bassaddic
USER since 8/20/07

Like every other lure, it has its time and place. 

Post Your Comment