trophy smallmouth lake in northern Wisconsin

8/7/17 @ 7:47 PM
ORIGINAL POST
wrg668
wrg668
USER since 2/11/02

Hey guys, Im in search of a trophy smallie inland lake or lakes to try in northern Wisconsin as i retire in 2 yrs and wanna spend my time fishing for them on inland lakes. thanks for your replies

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
4/18/18 @ 10:33 AM
hockeyguy39
hockeyguy39
USER since 8/24/07

True, Door County has a tremendous population of big bass, but weather will nearly always play a factor up there. It's BIG water, and even the bays can be really rough at times depending on the wind. Certainly a destination to try, but OP is asking about inland lakes in the (I'm assuming) traditional "northern" Wisconsin...defined as north of 29, 64 or 8 depending on who you talk to lol.

I will say the two biggest smallies I caught in that area were both around 18-19". One from Diamond Lake just north of Trout and one where the Manitowish River flows next to 51. I think the river would be a great option to try. Looked very fishy!

Edited on 4/18/18 10:35 AM
Post Your Comment
4/16/18 @ 10:48 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

You kind of have to define "northern Wisconsin".  When I read the title, I instantly thought of Door County.  But, it isn't everyone's definition of "northern Wisconsin".  But, if you want the best smallmouth fishing in the state, hands down it is Door County.  All the way up....Tons of fish in there and very, very large ones.  

Don't worry about big water, there are plenty of bays and harbors that hold smallies and I've even heard rumors of smallies being on the Lake Michigan side.  Tons to explore up there.

Post Your Comment
4/15/18 @ 8:05 PM
Carpio
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Without a doubt!  Turtle Flambeau Flowage. I’ve fished with my good friend Jordan Rhey known as “ Porky”. He and his wife Roseanne owned DONNERS BAY RESORT on the flowage until his terminal illness forced them to sell about 3 years ago. The best he caught was just over 6 pounds but many 5# + he swore that the record would be broken on the Flowage. Beautiful area.   Good luck.    CARPIO 

Post Your Comment
4/15/18 @ 3:06 PM
burroak
burroak
USER since 6/26/01

I just checked the WDNR stocking reports and there are no listings of smallmouth being stocked in Plum Lake going back to 1972 but they may have been stocked by the lake association.  That being said there are large smallmouth in Plum.  Keep in mind the aquarium effect....larger lakes tend to produce larger fish.  In contrast to that effect, the state record was caught in Indian Lake, Oneida County which is just under 400 acres.  I would concentrate on deep. rocky lakes like Trout, some of the lakes in the Flambeau Chain, Plum, and Presque Isle.

Edited on 4/15/18 3:07 PM
Post Your Comment
2/21/18 @ 3:13 PM
JEYESLAYER
JEYESLAYER
USER since 2/8/06

Pallete lake by Boulder Junction last time I was there landed 3 over 20" in 4 hours of fishing. Plus we landed 60 plus fish. It is a portage or walk-in style lake though.

Post Your Comment
2/18/18 @ 1:28 PM
7thson
7thson
USER since 6/4/06

Several lakes come to mind , Witches lake near Boulder Jct , both upper and lower . My wife caught our families biggest on a top water , 21.5" . Lake Owen is a good body as is Chequamegan Bay .

Just curious , if no live bait catch and release works until the opener in June , why does the season close at all ?

Edited on 2/21/18 3:28 PM
Post Your Comment
12/11/17 @ 6:36 PM
Fish Boy 35
Fish Boy 35
USER since 1/14/05

There are literally hundreds of trophy caliber brown fish waters in northern Wisconsin. I spend a lot of time up there searching for virtually untouched smallie populations and find new ones every year. Just utilize your resources such as Google maps and charts an start launching your boat and fishing. You're not getting trophies until you're pulling multiple 5.5 to 6lb+ brown fish. They are easier to find than many think up that way and don't underestimate small rivers.........

Post Your Comment
10/3/17 @ 9:16 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

This is one of my favorite plum Lake pics.  It is my nephew who lives out of state.  He was just stoked.  Funny thing is his sister caught one the same size that same day. 

Edited on 10/3/17 9:18 PM
Post Your Comment
10/3/17 @ 8:01 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
USER since 5/6/16

I can agree with Plum Lake. 19.5 incher caught a couple weekends ago. Also has a bright future as we caught probably another dozen smaller ones between 12-14 inches. Thick bodied as well.

Post Your Comment
10/2/17 @ 7:44 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I'm convinced the next State record is swimming around in Plum.

Years ago Plum had a huge rusty crayfish problem.  The kids would catch 100 a night with the butterfly net, and we'd have a crayfish boil any night we wanted one.

The DNR stocked a bunch of Smallies, and they definitely took care of the crayfish issue.  We can't even catch enough crayfish for a boil anymore.

The Smallies gorge themselves on crayfish and grow, grow, grow...

Many times when you catch a Smallie, they have a crayfish hanging out of their mouth - they don't go hungry.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts