SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

Smallmouth

5/4/17 @ 10:28 AM
INITIAL POST
Scaleimpaler40
User since 1/12/13

I'll admit I did not look through the message boards on here so if no one wants to reply because it has been asked a million times don't reply.

Am looking to get into smallmouth. Done a lot of largemouth in the past, currently mostly muskies and crappies though. Just looking for general info on what types of structure to look for them on? Any input would help, done a lot of reading but individual input always helps too.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
9/24/17 @ 8:01 AM
Flyrod Man
User since 8/13/09

The bigger the water, the bigger the SM.  ex: SM in Wis river larger than SM in smaller streams.    Remember to release this fish.  There are many-many lakes in N/Wis that hold SM.  I only fly fish for them-its a blast.  Dr/Cty Lake MI also has nice sized SM.

8/7/17 @ 7:43 PM
wrg668
User since 2/11/02
Im looking for a recommendation of a trophy smallie inland lake in northern Wisconsin. thanks for any replys
7/22/17 @ 1:49 PM
Capt Quint2
User since 4/14/15

Do the Smallies come in shallow again during Sept/Oct before turn over?

I'm talking about inland lakes not the Great Lakes.

Thanks and tight lines!

6/14/17 @ 10:28 PM
speedlee_003
User since 3/17/16

Did this a few weeks ago when the smallies were on their beds! 

5/30/17 @ 11:04 AM
Mystery Tackle Box
Mystery Tackle Box
User since 5/15/17

Smallmouth bass are one of the most aggressive and exciting game fish to catch. However, fishing for smallmouth can be much different than fishing for its relatives in the bass family. Here you can find All You've Ever Wanted To Know About Smallmouth Bass Fishing

Happy Fishing!

-Team MTB

5/22/17 @ 9:06 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04

12 is a bit much for spinning rod I think. Id do 8. Maybe 10 if its a bigger reel.

5/21/17 @ 6:21 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

What do you guys use for line in spinning rod for throwing small top waters?  I'm heading to Canada in 3 weeks and want a dedicated rod for poppers and such.  In the past I've used my jig rod with braid but always have issues with wind knots and line wound too loose on spool.  I was thinking 12# XT.  My thinking is little stiffer...

5/19/17 @ 9:57 AM
cnorth
User since 1/5/05

Tubes can be the most effective, hair jigs, cranks, jigs with crayfish trailer, drop shot.  Have those you can catch a smallmouth.  Target rock/boulders/rock and did i say rock? 

5/12/17 @ 11:42 AM
Scaleimpaler40
User since 1/12/13

Thanks guys, yeah I do pull in the occasional smallie when targeting big blondes, but thought maybe it was coincidence. I appreciate the input. 

5/10/17 @ 11:23 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04

Whats already been said. Also, you say you fish musky, i believe skis and smallies like the same habitat. Rocks, maybe some wood, and throw in a couple clean weeds! Throw in a little current... Jigs, twister tails, wacky. Big smallies love topwater also! 

5/5/17 @ 7:42 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Agreed. Rocks. Pitch jigs with plastics resembling crayfish.  Spinnerbaits can be effective.  Get yourself a pack or two of Senkos and wacky worm them.  That's a lot of fun.

5/4/17 @ 7:20 PM
Smallmouth1
User since 5/1/05

Rocks=crawfish=smallmouth

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE