SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

Rock bass

7/4/18 @ 9:20 PM
INITIAL POST
CWScoach
User since 6/7/18

Looking to get on some of the copper sunfish.  Have never caught decent ones in Wisconsin and would like to target lakes w good populations.  Feel free to post or message.   

Rock bass are fun to catch and their aggressive nature makes it even better.  If they target crayfish they taste pretty good to.  My goto baits are jigs and minnows

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
12/19/18 @ 1:51 PM
Snorkel
Snorkel
User since 7/30/16

Just for clarification panfish just a slang name for "sunfish" i.e. Centrarchidae family which includes the "Black" bass.  Yes largemouth and smallmouth are indeed Sunfish :-)

So a rock bass is just as much a bass as a large or smallmouth is.

I would not typically consider a rock bass a panfish as they can get pretty large and have a big mouth and are generally much more aggressive than others in the family like bluegills and crappies.

Rock bass are actually great eating as long as they don't have worms and even then are fine as long as that does not gross you out hahaha  if you hold the fillets up to a light you can see the worm and cut them out.

Lake Geneva in Walworth county has tons of them.

8/14/18 @ 9:39 AM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

We caught a lot of Rock Bass at Long Lake, WI in Washburn County this summer. They hit almost anything you throw. We caught them trolling for Walleye, fishing for LM Bass and slip bobbering Berkely Honey Worms for Bluegills. Fun to catch. But their scales are big and super hard, which is harder on the filet knife. Just have to resharpen more often. 

7/26/18 @ 5:23 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Sorry this won't help much but, I  cleaned a bunch of rock bass last week from a lake in Minnesota.. I agree with the previous poster about his comparing them to crappie; I think they are firmer fleshed and tastier too. One thing I noticed is the numbers of crayfish they had inside them. One had a three inch perch in his gut. They hit the plugs I was dragging for walleye, and competed for the leeches I was catching some nice bluegills on. They all fought like mad and made the trip fun. Rock bass are panfish, not bass. There were some threads about rockies in the Panfish section.

7/16/18 @ 8:26 AM
thefishingboy
User since 9/11/04

I know Geneva has already been said but I doubt there is a lake in Wisconsin that has the density and aggression that the Rockies do here. You can catch them on anything. Ive seen livewells with over 100 rockies in them.

7/14/18 @ 7:59 AM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

Big green lake has monster rock bass in it. 

7/12/18 @ 10:08 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Most of the deep/clears in Oneida and Vilas have pretty adequate populations. Trout and Fence come to mind. Not a lot of numbers from what I've seen in the central flowages and lakes. Possibly the Waupaca chain? No experience on that.

7/9/18 @ 10:12 AM
CWScoach
User since 6/7/18

Geneva would be a haul.  Central part of the state is where I call port.

7/5/18 @ 1:18 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

What part of the state are you targeting? I agree with Geneva being the best in the south. I’d say I’ve probably seen the most in Little Butte des Mortes in the Fox Valley. Numerous lakes in the north have good populations.

I think the table quality is excellent. Better than crappie in my opinion, with a sweeter/firmer texture.

7/4/18 @ 11:32 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
Devils Lake(state park) has always had a ton of decent sized ones if you like eaters. Not sure if I've ever seen a 13" but for sure a lot of decent fish. Used to keep a bunch from there when i was a kid and I still haul up a bunch when fishing for gills.
7/4/18 @ 10:57 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Lake Geneva is the place to go for monster Rockies up to 13 inches

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE