SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

Recommendations for spinning rod for skipping under docks <$200

7/15/19 @ 8:16 PM
INITIAL POST
Fishlaw007
User since 12/30/14

This past weekend I tried skipping soft plastics under docks for the first time.  Did not go so well.  I used too light a rod and line.  Lost a big bass when he wrapped around the dock support and broke off.  Did land a couple and missed some strikes, so at least I am in the ballpark with the technique.  It took about 8 casts per dock to finally get the bait where I wanted. I want something which is more accurate than what I have.

I looked at several pro videos on line and they recommend a medium weight rod with a fast tip in the 6'6" to 7' range.  Each pro recommends their sponsor's rod, of course.

Can anyone rx a spinning rod they have used for skipping senkos, etc. with minimal weight for dock fishing?

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
8/2/19 @ 8:06 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I use the braid for abrasion qualities, the fluorocarbon leader for the faster sinking, clear invisibility, and abrasive quality.

The uni to uni knot has never failed on me, plus in my opinion the St. Croix Premier rods are a great value. There are better, but much more expensive rods out there.

To each his own. The OP asked for people’s recommendations and I gave mine.

8/2/19 @ 8:34 AM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10

I use spinning gear to skip under docks. I only use braid but question why users here feel the need for a leader? 

7/26/19 @ 1:18 AM
gokansasbadgers
User since 11/4/10

I would use high visibility braid with floro leader over mono any day on dock skipping.   The high visibility braid is easy to see and avoid line getting caught in the docks.  

7/19/19 @ 10:18 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I use BPS brand, but any major brand will work. Tie it to the braid using a uni to uni knot. If you’ve never tied one before the internet is your friend. Good luck.

7/17/19 @ 6:06 PM
Fishlaw007
User since 12/30/14

Thanks. I ordered one of the premier rods which should be here tomorrow.  Appreciate the advice.

Now trying to figure out what fluorocarbon leader to use.  Lots of brands out there.

7/16/19 @ 12:49 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I'll second the St Croix Premier.  I have a spinning 7' in medium and a 7' in heavy and really like them. I think for flipping docks you'd want a medium heavy at least.  That will give you the extra backbone to yank the bass out of the cover.

However, for flipping I prefer a baitcaster.  My all purpose bass rod is a 7' medium heavy Abu Garcia Veritas.  I use this rod for everything except light presentations or very heavy cover.

7/16/19 @ 10:24 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I use a St Croix Premier 7 ft medium action with a fast tip. I also use 10# Fireline Crystal with a 6 ft 8# fluorocarbon leader. The secret to skipping is not to try to throw it too hard. Just an easy cast and let the lure pull the line off your spool.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE