Patterning Bass this Year

5/26/14 @ 12:45 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Chris@MuskyMikes
Chris@MuskyMikes
USER since 6/17/08
Let me start by saying I am still catching fish...and some good ones at that. But as I look back at the last couple of weeks, I also recognize, I have been working hard for the fish I have put into the boat. I realized that part of the issue has been patterning fish has been tough. I've had to be far more adaptable than usual for this time of year. I'm also noticing baitfish have been harder to locate this season. The lack of weeds has certainly complicated things some. How has your early season been going? What are you seeing on the water?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
5/29/14 @ 2:47 PM
Chris@MuskyMikes
Chris@MuskyMikes
USER since 6/17/08
Piker,

You know how well I know my local waters...there's bait out there, but not like there has been the last couple of years.

Fishing was better (more routine) today... and it went just about how I expected it to given the conditions. I'm back on target, and catching some quality fish, but I haven't broken 20" on a largie yet this year.

Cheers,

CT

Post Your Comment
5/29/14 @ 7:17 AM
piker_biker
piker_biker
USER since 12/27/07
There are still plenty of shiners on your home lake Chris. I can't tell you how many I caught jigging ice out and in April on redworms. I see lots of them every time out. The other lakes I've seen some too with the exception of the lake with the name of the city as I don't fish there.

About two weeks ago the bass where just packed tight together. Hundreds of them in small areas. It was crazy action! But when the water warmed and the weeds started they dispersed. You have to cover more water to catch the same amount of fish but the same presentations are still working. Some summertime lures are starting to come into play and should only produce better once the spawn is complete.

Post Your Comment
5/28/14 @ 7:46 AM
Chris@MuskyMikes
Chris@MuskyMikes
USER since 6/17/08
Panfish...You're describing what I'm talking about...things are working, but my point was not one thing was working exclusive to/better than others.

The fish are up on the beds here now. Should be a bit tough for a week to ten days, then get really good as the panfish move in to spawn.

Still not finding baitfish like I'd like to. Wondering if the winter took a toll on them.

Post Your Comment
5/28/14 @ 5:49 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
they have been on beds the last week in northern wisconsin where i fish. everything was in at the same time last week. bluegill crappie bass all in at one time

Post Your Comment
5/27/14 @ 9:51 AM
Panfish4life
Panfish4life
USER since 1/17/11
Up until last week I was pretty irritated myself, I had been fishing deep with crankbaits and jigs figuring they would be deeper with the colder water temps. With the warm weather I have finally been able to get a pattern started. In the last week I have found a lot of largemouth up shallow on beds and have had pretty good success flipping a jig up close and twitching it in front of them. Throwing small spinners such as a beetle spin over shallow weed patches has been working good too. A wacky rigged senko has been doing good flipping near and under deep piers but they are just starting to hold around piers. As far as small mouth they've been going crazy for about the last two weeks on deep drop offs and rock bars or any deeper structure (15-20 ft). I've been using a drop shot or stand up jig for the smallmouth. GOOD LUCK

Post Your Comment