Lake Wisconsin - open bass tournament, May 9th

3/19/15 @ 4:59 PM
ORIGINAL POST
minners
minners
MEMBER since 1/20/07
Visit 4lakesbassmasters.com for entry and info. Will be out of lakeside bar. Also will be an off limits from I90/94 bridge to the Dells dam. This will make the competition fair for everyone. Great turn out last year.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
5/13/15 @ 7:45 PM
Fish Sandwich
Fish Sandwich
USER since 8/30/10
Most of the river guys didn't show up, but a couple did. I believe they took the first and last checks. I would say the more talented fisherman naturally go to the river because they are better at finding better-than-average fish, which there are more of in the river. A lot of guys also like the river because you can get away from it all and have a little slice to themselves. It's hard to fish this lake after spending time up there. If you are looking for a club that fishes fair and welcomes new or young members, join Madison Bass.

Post Your Comment
5/11/15 @ 10:01 PM
Alumacraft6
Alumacraft6
USER since 6/21/13
So.... let's see..... what was gained by the "Cut Off At The Bridge" TREND for this Open.? Think it was a 20 boat field and a 14 pound bag won. Hmmmmm.... I don't see the improvement of the "fair for everyone" or any gain for a "better tournament". I get a kick out of these clubs coming up with this new rule. You want to make it fair for everyone? How about you make a 25 mph rule so people who don't have a $40,000 plus bass boat can compete on this 9000 acre lake. These local clubs are not the Bass Masters nor are they intended to be according to all the Credos. Yet their is no open arms to younger anglers who are starting out nor any real support of the "fishing friends" claims. All you people should take a good look around the room at your next meeting. Take a head count of how many new members you have gained in the last five years. Then take the average age of your members into consideration. Seriously.... just do it! Making cut off rules to benefit your club members who whine because the river guys beat them is pathetic! Consider the less fortunate and younger generations who share the passion of bass fishing who could fish the river in any boat. That would make it fair for everyone and bring more boats! Are you sitting there shaking your head at what I have said? Apparently you have never been on Lake Wisconsin in a 12-16 ft alumimum boat with a 15 plus mph wind and 30 mph gusts. Tight lines!

Post Your Comment
5/6/15 @ 9:57 PM
minners
minners
MEMBER since 1/20/07
Your right about that study. I had talked to Tim about that back when they did that study. I caught a tagged smallie up at the hwy 33 bridge in portage. When I emailed him the tag number he said he tagged it 3 days before at a tournament and had released in front of the grade.

But the off limits has nothing to do with that. Just keeping everyone fishing the same water. Not much of a tournament when the same couple guys run to the dells and beat everyone most of the time. Completely different fishery up there than the lake. The no jet boat rule isn't a bad idea and might consider it for next year. But keeping everyone on the same water is the idea of the rule in place for this year.

Post Your Comment
5/5/15 @ 9:58 PM
Fish Sandwich
Fish Sandwich
USER since 8/30/10
I re-read your post Walleye Wizard and got an even bigger kick out of it! "Make the Trek Upriver to Spawn????" Now I'm kind of embarrassed that I even responded. Blush

Post Your Comment
5/5/15 @ 9:52 PM
Fish Sandwich
Fish Sandwich
USER since 8/30/10
Walleye Wizard, you should stick to what you know. The WDNR did a study in cooperation with all of the local tournaments as well as on an individual basis with bass anglers on THIS body of water for several years and concluded that the vast majority of smallies released on the lake made their way right back to the river unharmed. Most right back to the section they were caught in withing just a few days. If you think you know something about relocating smallmouth bass in a tournament, you should request a copy of the study and READ it if you are able. The fisheries biologist in charge of the study was Tim Larson and he concluded the study in favor of tournament fishing on lake wisconsin. I understand that if there is a field of 50 boats, 49 of them have to lose, and nobody likes to lose. And if your small club decides to change the rules to benefit their members there is nothing wrong with that. Just change the rules to coincide with FLW/BASS. Eliminate the Jet boats, end of story.

Post Your Comment
5/4/15 @ 5:21 PM
Walleye Wizard
Walleye  Wizard
USER since 6/23/01
About time, why take smallies that have made the trek up-river to spawn and be removed because of a bass tourney. Love the rule. Good luck all.

Post Your Comment
5/4/15 @ 12:12 PM
minners
minners
MEMBER since 1/20/07
Should be good fishing weather this weekend. You can sign up morning of.

Lakeside Bar & Grill Pre-tournament Meeting 6:30 AM Takeoff: 7:00 AM Weigh In: 3:00 PM

4lakesbassmasters.com

Post Your Comment
4/28/15 @ 8:59 PM
Fish Sandwich
Fish Sandwich
USER since 8/30/10
How is an off-limits fair for everyone? Why not just follow FLW and BASS and stick with factory bass boats (no jets or customs) and leave the reservoirs open dam-to-dam? Seems to me there is a lot of whiners these days in these rinky-dink opens customizing their rules to take the river anglers out of contention. There are plenty of glass boats that like to run the river (myself included) that you have taken out of the tournament. Is that fair? Do you ever see an off limits on the Mississippi? Maybe two pools away. Your boat numbers were only good last year because you were one of the last Clubs not to impose the "whiners off-limits." The irony is that it was still won off of the Lake. So was the Spring Fling this year and Last. Your numbers will suffer this year, and your club will lose the legitimacy of being a real bass club. When the tournaments start being won below the train bridge, are you going to make that off limits too? It's really not fair to the rest of us with smaller boats and motors to run that far over all of those big waves.... Maybe you guys can make narrow it down to one bay in the future. Kiss

Post Your Comment
4/28/15 @ 2:12 PM
minners
minners
MEMBER since 1/20/07
Have several early entries already. Get your forms in early or register the morning of.

Post Your Comment