Professionals

2/12/15 @ 9:54 AM
ORIGINAL POST
eyeslayer007
eyeslayer007
USER since 1/27/14
I'm getting to the age now where i got to decide what to be. I can't think of any other way to make a living but bass fishing! So here i am wondering if anyone has any ideas on where to start. I fish local tournaments with my father right now but i just want to know how do i expand from here and try to go pro. Thanks guy any info would help me out here!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 42 Posts
3/22/15 @ 9:06 PM
haulin bass
haulin bass
USER since 4/8/07
Joining a club and fishing big water are two excellent suggestions. Fishing all conditions another plus. Have you gotten on the water this season yet? I've been out the last two days pulling smallies out of 38 degree water. Five years ago I would have waited for 50-55 degree water. Members of the club I belonged to helped me change that.

Post Your Comment
3/21/15 @ 12:03 AM
LIPRIPR
LIPRIPR
USER since 3/15/03
You have youth on your side for starters which is good. Here are my thoughts. Education=get one. Money=you'll need a lot. Yeah, you can fish a tournament on a budget, but you need a boat, truck and tons of equipment and backup equipment. I used to get into local "$100" tournaments that had 80-120 boats. Now those same tournaments are considered to have a huge turnout if there are 40 boats. Even if you win these consistently you won't make a dime. I would suggest joining a club and spending as much time on the water as you can. Also, being a non-boater in higher level tournaments could teach you a lot. It sounds like you fish a tournament here and there already, so I would focus on learning different bodies of water, different conditions and especially different methods. Some people like to fish a worm so they will spend the majority of the time fishing a worm. You need to learn decision making and fish finding and catching no matter what the conditions. Versatility is key. You can enter the local tournaments if you want, but you learn from experience not spending money. A low end circuit is a better option than opens in my opinion. Nobody knows or cares who wins the Frigid Open, lol. I would rather enter one major tournament than 10 local ones. Join a club, be a non-boater in bigger pro/ams and fish as often as possible. Do not waste your time fishing small pothole lakes either, unless you want to learn a new lure. You need to learn big water. Getting sponsors and a business education is also important. Good luck. If you want to be a guide you will need to have the right skills that aren't related to fishing. To be a successful guide you need to identify the customers expectations and pay attention to them. Too many guides use their clients to offset costs and they end up sitting there watching the guide fish, lol. You gotta be in the right area weather you tournament fish or guide too.

Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 9:52 PM
haulin bass
haulin bass
USER since 4/8/07
Fishing 5 in-state opens a season my budget is $1400 ($280 per). This is the best immediate experience you can get and will help you decide if it's what you really want to do without breaking the bank. As for sponsors, you can ask anyone you have daily or weekly contact with. I ask my contractors, auto repair shop, etc. Good luck!

Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 8:44 PM
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
Mike Icconelli is a Guy from up north and he's won it all!

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 4:31 PM
shadling1
shadling1
USER since 1/17/12
Back to the ops question. I think you have alot if good responses already. I think one of the best things you can do is fish alot of different water and get experience. Takes alot more As has already been said though. Heck, I got a nice bass boat good, equipment and fish a good 3 days a week. I can catch fish but I still don't consider myself good enough to compete at any level Of tourney.

Post Your Comment
3/20/15 @ 2:41 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
Point, You're correct KVD is one, if not the, best in the sport. But how many of the top 100 touring pros are from the north? The opposite can be said for walleye pros, most all of them are from the north. A guy from the south has a much better shot at getting sponsorship than a guy from the north because of the track record of guys from the north and also that pro bass fishing is a big thing down south with lots of fans and everyone wants to vote for people from their area. Fans = money = sponsors.

Post Your Comment
3/19/15 @ 9:43 PM
Point Muskie Hunter
Point Muskie Hunter
USER since 1/28/13
I am going to say that You guys saying that all anglers from the northern states go south and get destroyed is false Kevin VanDam the KVD is the best in the sport of bass fishing and he came from Michigan.

Post Your Comment
2/20/15 @ 9:43 AM
dash4cash
dash4cash
USER since 2/15/11
First I must say I have really enjoyed following this post, I agree with most of the comments left for this young angler. Now about the money, yes you can spend tens of thousands of dollars a year tournament fishing, but lets remember this kid is not going to start fishing opens or elites this summer, I am pretty sure that is years down the road, so between now and then local state tourneys will do which 99% of those are team tourneys and within a days travel of home so your expenses will not come close to that tens of thousands of dollars, yet he will gain a ton of knowledge and experience competing against other state anglers while spending time on the water and working at gaining what it takes to get to the next level, and along the way maybe he makes a name for himself and a few local people step up and offer to throw a few dollars his way, because when he decides to take the next step every dollar helps, even the 300 bucks the local sport shop gives him to put their sticker on his truck and boat helps a ton.

Post Your Comment
2/20/15 @ 8:07 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
The one good thing with fishing,is that almost any one can do it.It is not like you have to run a 40 in 4.4 or weigh three hundred pounds.But it is going to take a lot of want and maybe a little luck.

Post Your Comment
2/19/15 @ 8:54 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Even at $1000 a tourney. Just wow. Guiding part tIme seems like a better option.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 42 Posts