SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

Frog Rod

12/17/15 @ 8:41 AM
INITIAL POST
Josh Holliday
User since 12/20/03
So I am in the market for a new frog rod and I am trying to find a decent rod with good tip action so it doesn't feel like a 2x4. preferably priced in the $100.00 or less. I know that I can spend big money and get a great rod but I am a weekend angler and don't want to break the bank.... any suggestions
Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
1/18/18 @ 12:27 PM
bwankowski
User since 5/5/14

I am using the Lews Mach II series rods. I believe it's 7'6" in MH

1/14/18 @ 5:59 AM
Dolores1012
Dolores1012
User since 1/6/18

I use a 7'6 MH Veritas ($99) for hollow materials and a Dobyns 804c ($180 with my military discount) for buzzing toads.

That Dobyns rod is a small bit over my price point for moving baits, but the rod is so excellent for fishing small/mid-sized moving baits and I use it so much, I can certainly justify the cost.

Good Luck 

7/26/16 @ 2:16 PM
Badgerloader
User since 4/10/11

You don't need a rod to catch frogs. A small net or your hands will suffice. 

7/26/16 @ 11:00 AM
chuckc
User since 3/21/14

To me, part of working a frog is, for lack of better terms, wiggling the hell out of it as I retrieve.  A heavy, long rod makes this difficult and wears out your hands and forearms.  I like a 7 foot or nearly that heavy rod, I use either a 7 ft IM7 Gander Mtn rod ( two hand handle) or a 6'9" St Croix that is designed for topwater ( both are bait casters, which is my favorite.  I love the St Croix in terms of being able to work the lure, but sometimes it is a bit soft for hook sets.  The other rod is a bit bulkier and harder to work, but works well enough and I think I can get a harder hook set.  I also have started morphing to a different hookset.  Rather than wail away with the rod, I lift it a bit and reel like hell, loading the rod.  I seem to get more hooksets this way and when I miss, the frog doesn't leave the county.

I LOVE working frogs, especially down south, and do it a lot.

ChuckC

7/25/16 @ 6:24 AM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02

My frog rod is a Gander Tournament 7' heavy. Its light, cheap and has a warranty. I think they are $80 but routinely on sale for less. Actually all of my kayak rods are the same money. They're quality rods but also inexpensive enough that if I lose one over the side, I wont lose too much sleep. 

1/13/16 @ 10:39 PM
Max Rap
User since 12/29/12
Cabelas Tournament ZX Bass Casting Rod(Topwater/Frog). Priced at $99. I use this exact rod for jigs and spinnerbaits as well. The rod is powerful, light weight, perfect length in my opinion(7'3"),it's sensitive, and has an excellent lure weight range of 1/4oz-1 1/4oz.
1/10/16 @ 9:54 AM
mattg589
mattg589
User since 2/27/05
I only carry 8 rods in my boat, so I like my set ups to be versatile for different situations. I have three St Croix Mojo Bass spinner bait rods that I use for frogging all the time with no problems. They are a little over $100 now, but definitely worth it in my opinion.
1/3/16 @ 10:42 AM
wi bassman
User since 1/17/15
I do a ton of frogging and for me a 7' rod is perfect. 7'-6" rods are a bit too long if you plan on skipping under stuff at all. For me the biggest thing I look for is a extra fast taper. Heavy action , extra fast works best for me. I love powell rods but they are more than 100 dollars. Check out the bass pro shops carbonlites . They have a 7' heavy extra fast that is perfect. Watch for the spring sales, and you should be able to get one for about 90 bucks
12/31/15 @ 6:10 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15
Lew's has a great bunch of rods. i don't get to fish frogs but i know they have a real good frog rod..
12/26/15 @ 4:11 PM
lawdog616
lawdog616
PRO MEMBER User since 1/20/04
I throw frogs on a 7 foot med/heavy lightning rod I bought at walmart. I throw frogs most of the time fishing bass. No need to spend a pile of money.
12/26/15 @ 1:30 PM
badgerbass
User since 8/20/07
Check out a Dobyns Fury 735. Most flipping sticks top sections are too stiff to walk a frog, and load too fast on the hookset.
12/24/15 @ 7:27 PM
Fish Sandwich
User since 8/30/10
Josh I'm going to buck the normal trend here and give you my advice on a frog rod. My experience frogging is limited, so take that into consideration. I prefer a 7 to 7-1/2 footer with a nice parabolic top third, but a very heavy bottom half. Typically this is going to be labeled a carolina-rig rod in most cases. Rojas rods are also built with this action. I've used his quantum version and it was pretty good, although the handle was short for my taste. I believe his new duckett frog rod has a longer butt, and is the perfect lenth, at 7'4". I would look for a deal on that rod if I were in the market. I still have six BP R.C. Carolina Rig rods that I use with some success. They are 7'3" and have a pretty soft tip which doesn't let bass off the frog.
12/19/15 @ 12:55 AM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
Here's my take on a frog rod...spending tall cash on one is absolutely pointless. What you need is the right action/power, and length...higher end rods, even many designed for froggin', are designed like many other bass rods, that is, they are sensitive (they're high end after all)....I don't get this, as froggin' is the farthest thing in bass fishing from sensitivity fishing. My advice is to get a decent, but not over the top, flippin' stick....most heavy flippin' sticks are perfect for froggin'. $100 is about my limit on a frog rod, cause for that price, and in some cases less, you can get a plenty powerful rod that's still not too heavy at all to cast all day.
12/17/15 @ 9:50 AM
skeeterbite
User since 4/12/14
It may cost lil more than $100. But the slop n frog rod from st croix mojo bass has been redesigned for less weight. I have a older one and wanna get a new one myself. Check it out.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE