Frog Rod

12/17/15 @ 8:41 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Josh Holliday
Josh Holliday
USER since 12/20/03
So I am in the market for a new frog rod and I am trying to find a decent rod with good tip action so it doesn't feel like a 2x4. preferably priced in the $100.00 or less. I know that I can spend big money and get a great rod but I am a weekend angler and don't want to break the bank.... any suggestions
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
7/26/16 @ 2:16 PM
Badgerloader
Badgerloader
USER since 4/10/11

You don't need a rod to catch frogs. A small net or your hands will suffice. 

Edited on 7/26/16 2:17 PM
Post Your Comment
7/26/16 @ 11:00 AM
chuckc
chuckc
USER since 3/21/14

To me, part of working a frog is, for lack of better terms, wiggling the hell out of it as I retrieve.  A heavy, long rod makes this difficult and wears out your hands and forearms.  I like a 7 foot or nearly that heavy rod, I use either a 7 ft IM7 Gander Mtn rod ( two hand handle) or a 6'9" St Croix that is designed for topwater ( both are bait casters, which is my favorite.  I love the St Croix in terms of being able to work the lure, but sometimes it is a bit soft for hook sets.  The other rod is a bit bulkier and harder to work, but works well enough and I think I can get a harder hook set.  I also have started morphing to a different hookset.  Rather than wail away with the rod, I lift it a bit and reel like hell, loading the rod.  I seem to get more hooksets this way and when I miss, the frog doesn't leave the county.

I LOVE working frogs, especially down south, and do it a lot.

ChuckC

Post Your Comment
7/25/16 @ 6:24 AM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02

My frog rod is a Gander Tournament 7' heavy. Its light, cheap and has a warranty. I think they are $80 but routinely on sale for less. Actually all of my kayak rods are the same money. They're quality rods but also inexpensive enough that if I lose one over the side, I wont lose too much sleep. 

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment
1/13/16 @ 10:39 PM
Max Rap
Max Rap
USER since 12/29/12
Cabelas Tournament ZX Bass Casting Rod(Topwater/Frog). Priced at $99. I use this exact rod for jigs and spinnerbaits as well. The rod is powerful, light weight, perfect length in my opinion(7'3"),it's sensitive, and has an excellent lure weight range of 1/4oz-1 1/4oz.

Post Your Comment
1/10/16 @ 9:54 AM
mattg589
mattg589
USER since 2/27/05
I only carry 8 rods in my boat, so I like my set ups to be versatile for different situations. I have three St Croix Mojo Bass spinner bait rods that I use for frogging all the time with no problems. They are a little over $100 now, but definitely worth it in my opinion.

Post Your Comment
1/3/16 @ 10:42 AM
wi bassman
wi bassman
USER since 1/17/15
I do a ton of frogging and for me a 7' rod is perfect. 7'-6" rods are a bit too long if you plan on skipping under stuff at all. For me the biggest thing I look for is a extra fast taper. Heavy action , extra fast works best for me. I love powell rods but they are more than 100 dollars. Check out the bass pro shops carbonlites . They have a 7' heavy extra fast that is perfect. Watch for the spring sales, and you should be able to get one for about 90 bucks

Post Your Comment
12/31/15 @ 6:10 PM
Ed Franko
Big Ed's Guide Service
USER since 5/6/15
Lew's has a great bunch of rods. i don't get to fish frogs but i know they have a real good frog rod..

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
Post Your Comment
12/28/15 @ 9:40 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I would not go 7.5 length because that will make it harder to get right action on the frog.

I use a Kistler Mag TS Jig' Toad Special and while that rod is out of budget and not made anymore, you might be able to find one on ebay. I will say that the benefit of a higher end sensitive rod is not always the ability to catch more fish.

Lighter weight rods nicer to fish with because you get less fatigue.

More sensitive rods will be funner to catch fish on because you feel more of the fish.

Sometimes you find another good application for a rod other than what you intended it for that may need sensitivity. There are always new tactics coming out.

I am a big proponent on paying as much as you can in a rod for any application, but if you are going to budget on one application...a frog rod might be top on that list because you are using heavy braid and more than 50% of the time you will be pulling in more weight in slop/weeds than actual fish!

Post Your Comment
12/26/15 @ 4:11 PM
lawdog616
lawdog616
MEMBER since 1/20/04
I throw frogs on a 7 foot med/heavy lightning rod I bought at walmart. I throw frogs most of the time fishing bass. No need to spend a pile of money.

Post Your Comment
12/26/15 @ 1:30 PM
badgerbass
badgerbass
USER since 8/20/07
Check out a Dobyns Fury 735. Most flipping sticks top sections are too stiff to walk a frog, and load too fast on the hookset.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts