Found SMB while walleye fishing - now what

7/14/14 @ 9:24 AM
ORIGINAL POST
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
So, while walleye fishing this past weekend dragging jigs with crawlers, I ended up with about 6 small mouth bass. Blast to catch and would like to come back with my 9 year old son and actually target these fish. So for the bass pro's, what would you use? We were in 8-12 fow, rocky area near a large mud flat. The fish were hitting the jigs while bouncing them on the bottom. Thanks in advance.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
7/15/14 @ 8:20 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05
This time of year SM feed heavily on crayfish. A crayfish imitation of any kind will do the trick. Best method I would try is a light jig and maybe just enough shot to bring the bait to the bottom slowly. Tip with a plastic worm, crayfish imitation in a brown, red, or motor oil color. Cast out and allow to sink to the bottom. Bounce back 12 inches at a time ultra slowly feeling for a hit. Set hook upon feeling any resistance. SM are best battle you'll get from any freshwater fish. Good luck.

Post Your Comment
7/15/14 @ 7:30 AM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
In that depth, with those bottom conditions I would fish a football jig, might be out of the kids league though. The other good options are, like mentioned, a tube. Other good ones that would be great for kids are a crankbait...deep cranks can be cast far and easily and just need to be reeled. A drop shot is another, very easy to learn and exceptionally effective.

Post Your Comment
7/14/14 @ 7:04 PM
livinthedream
livinthedream
USER since 3/10/11
If it is not broke don't fix it. Go back using the same style of fishing you were using before. Keep it as simple as you can for your kid. No luck move on to a different method. Smb love tube jigs and yum, senkos or any other 5" stick bait rigged wacky style. Just keep in mind the time you found them. 5am or 5pm kind of thing. I have got a ton of fish when I was younger using a number 6 gold hook 2 small split shot about a foot above the hook and a plain old fat crawler rigged through the nose. Cast out and let it sit on the bottom for a couple of minutes and if nothing takes bring it in super slow. Great book to get is Lunkers love Nightcrawlers. Been around since the 50's. Good luck and I hope get into them.

Post Your Comment