Early season bass tactics?

4/28/15 @ 8:41 AM
ORIGINAL POST
ItsKessler
ItsKessler
USER since 1/1/15
I am looking for opinions on early season bass tactics. The two lakes i primarily fish are very clear with shallow drop offs to deep holes 40+ feet. Primarily a sand bottom with a decent amount of underwater weeds, not many pads at all. I'm wondering what you guys would suggest to get on the bass? any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
4/29/15 @ 10:24 PM
ultramicro
ultramicro
USER since 6/17/11
I also support the Senko/stickbait option! 5" stickbaits are the perfect size for early season LMB. I would attempt to match the color of the bait to the water color, so perhaps watermelon, pumpkin or cinnamon variations could be appropriate for your lakes. In lakes like you described, bass will strongly relate to bottom structure features (like hard-bottom points and near-shore inside cuts) if the weeds haven't yet grown significantly. Smile

Edited on 4/29/15 10:28 PM
Post Your Comment
4/28/15 @ 10:29 PM
greg2507
greg2507
USER since 1/13/13
I agree with Steve on the senko. I like to Texas rig a 5" yum dinger. Throw it let it drop on a semi slack line then pop it up and let it drop. Just repeat that. I also like to throw on a crankbait. Kvd 1.5 square bills are great for spring.

Post Your Comment
4/28/15 @ 8:02 PM
Steve @ G & S
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
I like to keep a Zoom Super Fluke rigged weightless on a 5/0 EWG hook. I can fish this low and slow, near the top relatively quick or simply dead-stick it. What I like about the fluke is that it has a lot of action without moving quickly through the water. So it has a lot of movement without really moving.

I also have a wacky rigged Senko style stick bait rigged on a 2/0 Octopus hook. Toss it out, let it fall to the bottom, let it sit. Then hop it up, let it fall again. Do this once more, than reel it in and recast to a different spot.

And finally, I keep a spinnerbait rigged and try that first. Then go through with the fluke, followed by the senko....

Formerly Steve @ G S

Post Your Comment
4/28/15 @ 11:33 AM
local fisherman
local fisherman
USER since 5/2/05
I would rip a rattle trap through the weeds or a bladed swim jig.

Post Your Comment
4/28/15 @ 10:46 AM
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
Is there an area like a spawning bay? I always like throwing a jig worm early in the year. You could also cover a lot of water with a spinnerbait.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
4/28/15 @ 9:39 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Shallow water near the deep holes. Check out bottom transition areas. If you're covering water id say use a jerkbait like a rapala husky jerk in a natural color. Or drag a carolina rig with a fluke. Then when you find them you can slow down with maybe a shaky head or drop shot. That's what i would do.

Post Your Comment