Big Baits

3/14/17 @ 6:36 PM
ORIGINAL POST
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
Just picked up a River2sea s-waver 168 and a savage gear 3D shine glide and was wondering if anyone uses these here in Wisconsin and if so how were the results.  Thinking about throwing them on 20lb floro but worried about bite offs from mr.esox
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
1/6/18 @ 10:50 PM
Dolores1012
Dolores1012
USER since 1/6/18

I prefer to throw larger baits, bites are fewer and you miss a lot more bites but generally, you get better quality. I generally just slow roll along the bottom and free pool every 10 seconds or so, give it a couple hops, then start a slow wind again. It really depends on the day and the attitude of the fish though, I always start with a comparatively quick retrieve and if I'm not getting bit, I'll slow down and touch bottom more often.

Post Your Comment
7/24/17 @ 6:08 PM
bassmasterr
bassmasterr
USER since 3/30/15
I have both in a bluegill pattern. I throw mine on 20lb mono due to the treble hooks. Good baits though!

Post Your Comment
6/1/17 @ 5:17 AM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09

So both baits worked great.  Have gotten 3 Muskies from 35,37,and 39 acouple hammer handle pike and around 20 or so largemouth and some smallmouth.  Biggest being 21in largy suprissed by how many 14-16in bass hammer those big baits.  I've been running them on a 8ft med-hvy st croix musky rod with 50lb braid to a 40lb floro leader

Post Your Comment
4/8/17 @ 1:03 AM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09

Thanks for the replies.  I fish big soft plastic swimbaits a lot for musky and get the occasional bass.  Originally bought these two baits to replace the spring soft plastic swimbaits in my musky arsenal because I'm getting sick of small pike bitting tails off or destroying baits.  Then on doing more research found how good they work for bass in cali.  So just wanted to know how successful they were here and what the bite off ratio was to esox while bass fishing them.  So next question for me is there a "go to color" for bass here.  I have a gold and a rainbow trout.  Thinking of getting another in a perch or hitch pattern.  Any help is appreciated.

Post Your Comment
4/7/17 @ 2:28 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04

I would not recommend this style of bait for Wisconsin Bass Fishing in my opinion.    If it were a floating bait and you get bit off, so be it....just wait for pike to shake it loose and go grab it.  These sink and are $20+ a pop and not effective with any kind of metal leader.     I think there are soft plastic versions with our clear water that are equally effective and alot less painful when they do get bit off.   

Post Your Comment
4/6/17 @ 9:11 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06

Big swimbaits are nothing new to serious bass fishermen, even in WI.   Yep, they work great and you will catch smaller fish with them than you may expect...plenty of big ones, too...and yeah, dem esox can be an issue, cause they do love them.  Sometimes you can get a ton of bites on them.

So, you could fish them on 20lb flroro (which is what I generally prefer to do) and get bit often, but have to deal with pike and musky possibly breaking you off (you will land most of them IME, at least I tend to)....

Or you could guard against the esox and use a steel leader and reduce your bass bites by 90% but never be in much danger of losing the bait to a fish....in which case you may as well just throw a spinnerbait or swim jig imo.

My take is that if you aren't going to use proper tackle and are afraid to lose them, you just shouldn't buy them, they're not for that kind of person, because they wont ever realize that bait's potential. (not saying you op, just in general)

The alternative is to use braid, along with a longer softer rod to compensate for the braid.  At times you will get fewer bites than flouro, but you will get lots more bites than you would with a steel leader....yeah, you can still get bit off, but you will significantly reduce them as long as you don't use the hero hookset...which you shouldn't be using with a treble hooked bait anyway.

Edited on 4/6/17 9:15 PM
Post Your Comment