MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

Bass fishing with a Musky rod?

4/19/19 @ 2:18 PM
ORIGINAL POST
FishForLife11
FishForLife11
USER since 4/19/19

This might be a dumb question but I recently won a 7’6” heavy St. Croix mojo musky rod. I have never fished for musky and I don’t think I will anytime soon but would like to keep it just in case. My question is, would using this rod for bass fishing be a bad idea? If not what type of technique would be best? Top water frog, flipping, or cranking? Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
5/18/19 @ 2:07 AM
haulin bass
haulin bass
USER since 4/8/07

I have two "musky" rods I use for bass. One is an excellent frog rod, the other I use for punching thick weed mats. Both very useful.

Post Your Comment
5/17/19 @ 7:35 PM
CMunyon
CMunyon
USER since 5/12/16

Sell it and get one maybe two rods appropriate  for bass fishing.

Post Your Comment
5/17/19 @ 10:23 AM
Clay34
Clay34
USER since 3/22/08

I think that you will be fine with certain techniques.  It's just another tool in the tool box.  I always get a kick out of marketing like "walleye" specific rod, or "Musky" rod.  Many of the hot rods in the Great Lakes right now for coho are the rods that they market for walleye.  No matter they suggest, it's your rod and you get to choose how to fish it. 

I would put 40 or 50 pound braid on it and frog fish it, in the slop - rip 'em out of the pads and have fun. 

By the way, this time of year, I fish for musky with bass specific baits.  No one tells the musky that they shouldn't eat those because they say bass bait either.

Go forward and have fun, worst case it's not your favorite rod for a particular application, but I sure would try it.

Post Your Comment
5/16/19 @ 7:12 PM
BassWhacker
BassWhacker
USER since 9/4/17

I'd say the only thing that might be good for is big swimbaits like huddlestons. I'd buy some musky baits instead and use it for it's intended purpose. Or sell it

Post Your Comment
4/24/19 @ 8:14 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
USER since 12/22/04

Won’t be fun to use

Post Your Comment
4/22/19 @ 7:47 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

It will work with lighter line. Just big and not as delicate. You’ll get a different presentation which might work here and there. 

Post Your Comment
4/20/19 @ 8:55 AM
Scott F
Scott F
USER since 6/12/10

Look at the lure weight ratings on the rod. If you fish lures within the weights listed, use it for bass. Trying to throw smaller baits won’t work too well. Big swimbaits usually need a heavy rod. If you don’t think you’ll get much use out of it, you could always sell it, and buy something more useful. 

Post Your Comment