SEARCH
MORE
Bass Fishing

Bass Fishing Equipement

10/22/18 @ 4:57 AM
INITIAL POST
Fish Puerto Vallarta
User since 10/19/18

How to right equipment to go bass fishing? Please share your views with me.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
12/24/19 @ 10:13 AM
spoonminnow
User since 11/10/19

Bass fishing like any other species fished for doesn't require expensive setups, but unlike other species does require an open mind when it comes to tackle, lures, presentations and fish locations combined. Heck, you can use a setup for panfish and catch bass, but generally speaking heavier tackle and larger lures catch more bass. 

First and foremost is fish location. Doesn't matter what equipment you use if the fish aren't there where you cast your lure. Knowing a body of water is key which includes seasonal locations, depths, structure (drop offs, docks, weed lines, road beds, etc.) Sonar - even units costing around 100 bucks - display the bottom and maybe fish in the area. Use it no matter the boat, but a boat allows far more areas to be searched and learned for future reference. 

Spinning, spincast or baitcast reels with smooth drags and gear ratio (at least 3.5:1) can keep fish hooked, played and caught. My rods and reels cost less than $50. Most important is to match the rod and reel to the lures you're casting. Light action rods for light lures, medium action rods for heavier lures.

All lures should be considered search tools, meaning that they cover a lot of water to find fish that strike what you're casing. Various lure designs are meant for various locations whether surface, mid depth or on the bottom. Lures also have a speed range of effectiveness. Too fast a retrieve and zero fish for many lure types; too slow a retrieve and certain lures can't display the action they were made for.

As far as lures go, there is a tremendous number of choices to choose from regardless fish location types. Some would advise matching the prey of a lake or river. Problem with that is that lures match NOTHING that swims, crawls or slithers and fish don't have the brains to connect the dots when it comes to recognizing what lures supposedly represent. The function of lures is to 1. get their attention and 2. hold it long enough to provoke them to strike. That's it ! end of story.

YouTube provides 1000 videos of lures used to catch fish - some by professionals and many by anglers that have discovered what to use and when. Clubs are good but expensive sources to learn from. I belonged to three clubs and did learning a hell of a lot in just a few years, but once I was on my way there was no need to continue. (Personally, I like sleeping later than most tournaments start and pefer to fish when and where I want to fish - especially those water I've gotten to know.)

I've posted in the panfish forum some ideas you might find of value regarding lures and why fish strike them. Just knowing that information frees an angler from restricting their choices when it comes to lures. 

Fishing is about discovery and surprise - both addictive as part of the pursuit anglers strive for to feel the strike, hook the fish, play it and net it. Simple as that.

Hope this helps.

5/16/19 @ 5:41 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I feel that the best way to learn to fish for bass is to join a bass fishing club. There are so many lures and equipment that is a waste of money. By learning in a club you will save money, while improving your skills much quicker.

5/14/19 @ 3:49 PM
BrianWI_
BrianWI_
User since 6/19/09

Ever try fishing scents?

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE