SEARCH
MORE
ATVs

tire studs not chains

1/12/18 @ 1:59 PM
INITIAL POST
walleye27
User since 1/25/07

Does anybody know or have used carbide screw in studs. If so your opinion of them? Brand you used?

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
1/22/18 @ 11:36 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

You can use hex head sheet metal screw like the ones in the picture I attached. Keep in mind neither chains nor screws really help in deep snow until your tire works its way thru the snow and contacts the ice. But they work exceptionally well on glare ice or 2-3" or less of hard pack snow.

Also without the use of a tire liner the screws will pull out of the tire over time but they do stay put quite well if you do your best to eliminate tire spin, i.e. no ice burnouts. Try to stay off pavement too.

If your atv has mild lug or more all-terrain style tires like a Carlisle 489, then chains will do better in deep snow. You really want mud tire. If your only concern is snow and not glare ice Maxxis makes a tire called 4-snow but I don't have any experience with them. 

Personally I choose I'd screws over chains. 

1/22/18 @ 12:02 PM
walleye27
User since 1/25/07

paddle power

really looking for ease of use and I don't like how chains can rip up a wheeler

1/18/18 @ 10:37 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

I've used 3/8 self tapping sheet metal screws and it works, but I too don't understand what "stove bolts" are.

Walleye27, if you you want a cheap alternative to Kold Kutters, sheet metal screws do work. Two things though. 1 - make sure the screw you use has a shorter shank than your tire lugs are thick, use your best judgement. 2 - studded tires work very well on glare ice or packed snow but unless you have deep lugs on the tire it's not going to magically help pull your gear through deep snow. 

May I ask what your main concern is in chains vs studs.

1/18/18 @ 9:27 PM
walleye27
User since 1/25/07

3/8 stove bolts

don't understand????

1/17/18 @ 7:04 AM
kindakatchi
User since 11/18/03

3/8 stove bolts is all u need!

l

1/12/18 @ 3:31 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

Kold Kutter's

On an ATV if you combine these with a tire like ITP Mud Lites you will never run chains again...

There is a downside though, you should try to protect the screws from hard surfaces like asphalt and gravel. They will last for quite awhile if you stick to ice, snow, or dirt trails but if you are constantly moving the machine around on anything other than those softer surfaces they'll wear out "prematurely." The dirt bike guys used to use old fire hose remnants and wrap them around the tire. I think nowadays they make wraps for ice racing but I don't know of any that make them for ATV sized tires.

The benefit with chains is durability and you don't need a separate set of wheels and tires. However, if you can find a way to keep the Kold Kutters in contact with ice/snow only and combine them with an aggressive mud tire the only step better is tracks.

So, with all that said. Is it worth it for an ice fishing machine? Probably not unless you can guarantee you will always be able to unload the machine directly on to ice.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE