SEARCH
MORE
ATVs

Tire Chains

1/8/15 @ 8:21 AM
INITIAL POST
260 REM
User since 7/17/02
I have been told that chains will make a big difference in my atv's ability to go through deep snow. Do any of you LLers have NY words of advice about chains? Do I need chains front and back? Are v-bar chains really better? Best place to get a good price? Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks 260rem
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
1/23/18 @ 3:16 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Broz,  nice rig.  those machines are bullet proof.  

1/23/18 @ 11:52 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

I've run chains in the past. They work great on ice but no benefit in snow.

I would deflate tire, put chain on and reinflate tire. Nice and snug

1/23/18 @ 10:20 AM
broz.
broz.
User since 6/22/01

Yes they do help alot. I run them on all 4 Buy the good ones. The ones that go a cross the tire every 2-3 inch.

1/23/18 @ 9:28 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

6 replies,  not one person really answered his question.

11/13/17 @ 7:58 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
I used to take a sturdy screwdriver or slender metal pry bar and pry the end of the chains together to get it very tight.(careful so you dont puncture the tire with the point of the screwdriver or metal bar!!).  To tighten with leverage you need to have enough space to manipulate your prytool which might be near the top of the tire or the sides of the tire, so in this case you spread out your chains flat on the concrete floor and roll the tractor onto the chains.  If after securing the hook links they still seem loose i would then use sturdy wire and secure the hook links so they dont come unhooked.  Thats how I used to do it, hope it makes sense.
11/12/17 @ 8:48 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

Buy a set of tensioners. Bungee cords work well to keep the chains tight as well. Make an X pattern and that should take care of it. Just make sure whatever you use keeps tension on the chains.

11/12/17 @ 11:45 AM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

I put chains on my lawn tractor in the winter so I can blow snow with it. I love how the blower and set up works except for the tire chains. Every year I battle putting them on. Does any one have any advice on a easier way to put chains on. I drape them over the top of the tire and attch one side and then work on the opposite side of the chain. I have tried letting air out of tires to help get them tight. They are usually to loose and if I try to hook the next link I can't get them hooked. I thought I would be smarter then chain but I guess not.

1/28/15 @ 9:52 AM
NAV165
PRO MEMBER User since 5/23/05
I put chains on all 4 tires of my Rancher 350. They make a big difference in deep snow, slush and glare ice. I bought them last year when it was tough to get the ice shack off and I was able to pull it with the chains on. It would not have moved if not for the chains. I put them back on this winter for deer season due to the deep snow up north and I haven't taken them off yet. Glad I bought them.
1/22/15 @ 9:48 AM
crestliner 1
crestliner 1
User since 2/2/08
get the moose chains I love them Smile
1/8/15 @ 12:37 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
I run the v-bar chains on the rear of my Polaris Sportsman 700, no question they make a difference......... a HUGE difference.
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE