Is it worth it...ATV

12/3/14 @ 11:31 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
Until just a few days ago I was considering a new ATV, still have a thread going here about which one to buy. I just found out that it is illegal to use an ATV on the paper company land where I hunt. No more retrieval of deer, or hauling in or out stands with the use of an ATV unless on roads regularly maintained. Not much else I do with an ATV, it was a tool for deer hunting which has been effectively eliminated by Blandin Paper Company. Just another loss of personal freedoms.
Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts
12/17/14 @ 11:16 AM
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
Beer Goggles....my point exactly!

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
12/13/14 @ 7:24 PM
Beer Goggles
Beer Goggles
USER since 12/28/07
Save your money and lease sum land. What use is an atv if u can not use it.

Post Your Comment
12/12/14 @ 8:52 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
If one rides in they all ride in. I've heard the following a few times and seen it once. A guy goes into the woods during Muzzleloader season, parks his truck where he shouldn't have been and walks to his stand. A while later he hears what he thought were shots fired. Wrong, those were his tires exploding. It seems that his catalytic converter and dry grass didn't get along. I seen the truck afterward, couldn't even tell what make it was. Also being far enough back that the F.D. had a hard time getting there. Yes, the DNR did fine him on top of that. I don't know what his insurance company thought or if he had a loan on it.

essox, this was in Adams county (Rome).

Post Your Comment
12/12/14 @ 10:06 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09
Sounds to me that you need to take your ATV money and invest in a high end deer cart that you can also put stands on.

Post Your Comment
12/11/14 @ 8:52 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
the land i hunt is an atv park and they close it for atvs just for rifle season

Post Your Comment
12/11/14 @ 4:00 PM
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
Oh, and by the way, without the deer hunting application, it's not worth buying. It was a very useful tool to retrieve a harvested deer and to also bring portables in and out.

That's pretty much what I needed a 4-wheeler for.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
12/10/14 @ 10:52 AM
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
Never said it wasn't a good thing for deer, just don't like the way they leave the woods now. In years past loggers would make wind rows and at least attempt to clean up whats left behind, and that too was a good thing for wildlife. Sheeesh!

And not everybody has money to buy their own land!!!!

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
12/9/14 @ 5:07 PM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02
What was once public land.....big businees owns all the rights.....You are prime candidate to buy your own land and do with it as you see fit. Or, hunt this property and abide by the rules. Logging is a good thing for deer. sheeeesh...

Post Your Comment
12/8/14 @ 1:09 PM
Tommy Howell
NPAA105
USER since 7/11/11
You are allowed to run ATV's only from 10 till 2, and the mess the loggers leave goes way beyond tree tops, but thanks for enlightening me.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
Post Your Comment
12/8/14 @ 1:00 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Allowing atv's would mean ALL atv's... not just you dragging your deer out. I assume you wouldn't be thrilled if a group showed up to ride up and down the logging roads while you were hunting. Less atv's on public or public used property is a good thing in my mind. (Except designated times and trails). And this "mess" left by loggers, which I assume was tree tops not garbage, is what allows regrowth. Deer can't chew the new trees to pieces if they can't get at them.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 16 Posts