Injector Oil

11/15/14 @ 2:13 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I just picked up a pair of 2006 Arctic Cat Z570 LX's. I took them in and got them tuned up and the guy at the shop tried to sell me a gallon of Arctic Cat 50:1 Injector Oil which was around $40. I held off buying it until I get some input on alternatives. Of course, the oil reservoirs state, "use Arctic Cat 50:1 Injector Oil Only" but can I use a cheaper oil that meets the same quality specs? I also have a '96 Polaris Indy that I use for fishing. I've just run oil that I bought at Fleet that is rated for snow machine use and haven't had any issues in 10+ years. The Cats are not under warranty anymore so there isn't any risk of voiding that. Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
11/16/14 @ 11:08 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
If you are under warranty use their oil. Some of these have a dye or something in them and can be traced. I know this from Stihl equipment on highway and fire depts. However the warranty was void anyways because of the type of use.

Post Your Comment
11/16/14 @ 6:36 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Forgot to mention, the sleds of yesteryear were not really high performance machines. Today's sleds outperform them in every aspect - the hp they put out is just silly. The old John Deer Sprirts were pretty low tech...

My first sled was a Yamaha 292, I agree, cheap oil all day, no issues.

Newer machines perform better with the temperature stability of a quality lubricant - really better for them in the long run.

Edited on 11/16/14 6:42 PM
Post Your Comment
11/16/14 @ 6:31 PM
Plmlk
Plmlk
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Think I'm the odd man out on this...

I'm not necessarily sold on Arctic Cat or Polaris Oil, but I think it is important to use a high quality lubricant.

I usually wrench on my own stuff... Boat motors, trailer bearings, snowmobiles, snow blower etc.

Last weekend a buddy and I got together and went through our sleds - been doing it for years. I remember a couple of years ago my buddies neighbor joined us. In addition to chain case oil, plugs, slides, grease fittings, and belt stuff, we clean the power exhaust valves.

I use Polaris Oil, buddy's neighbor used whatever he used, not sure. At any rate, his valves were really sooted up. Spent quite a bit of time cleaning them so they floated up and down nice and easy the way that they are supposed too. Mine were so clean last year, I didn't even pull them out this year.

Two strokes "burn" oil, and can leave ash and other undesirable deposits behind. When your flying across the lake your burning quite a bit of oil, and you want to ensure that it is burning cleanly. TCW-3 is a minimum rating to meet EPA regs., and satisfy lubrication requirements. Higher quality oil is also TCW-3 rated but uses a better basestock and typically performs better under higher temperatures. The better the temperature stability, the higher the cost.

Amsoil works good as does Polaris, Arctic Cat, Ski Doo, etc...

Whatever you use, just make sure it is high quality stuff that doesn't leave a bunch of gunk behind when it's burning.

Have fun with the new sleds! Shaping up to be a good season!

Post Your Comment
11/16/14 @ 6:46 AM
Red Rider
Red Rider
USER since 6/26/01
Back in the days gone by when they built John Deere sleds it was a known fact Citgo packaged the JD oil. If you went to a citgo station same pkg differnt label half the price...just saying. Word was there was a place in SE WI that packaged multiple brands of aftermarket sled oil all from the same tank, just the amount of color added. Wink As long as its TW-3 injector oil I would use it. We ran Philips Injex in a couple sleds that went over 10,000 miles with no motor issues.{yamy and polaris)

Post Your Comment
11/15/14 @ 6:02 PM
wskiph
wskiph
USER since 9/3/11
fyi...I have a 1989 Polaris atv oil injected,,just use any outboard oil tcw-3 I find at a gas station,,running fine ,,run it year around ,,even plow driveway,,,not sayin I am correct

Post Your Comment