ATV Tracks

2/21/14 @ 9:10 AM
ORIGINAL POST
260 REM
260 REM
USER since 7/17/02
I just bought a new ATV this year and was hoping it would allow me to ice fish throughout the winter but because of the snow this year I haven't been able to use it for the last month. I'm considering buying camoplast tracks for it but would really like to hear if they work as well as they say. I've never been around a machine that has them. If any LLers have them I'd really like to hear if you've ever encountered snow, slush or mud they couldn't get through. Thanks 260REM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
11/21/14 @ 6:35 AM
COSMO 1
COSMO 1
USER since 9/18/01
FishLandOLakes, Here is my take on this, 1st no I don't own a set, however we did consider buying a set but the shear physic's of the extra mechanical ware and tare were to me undisputable i.e. the extra gears on each hub (that's times four) and not to mention I believe you need to run your machine in full time four wheel drive to get all four under power.....right? and so that's why we didn't buy a set for any of our machines. My family has three machines 2004 500 h/o sportsman,2004 500 ranger and 2007 sportsman x2, two of these machines are 11yrs old now and are as strong motor and drivetrain wise as the day I bought them, which is a pretty standard time frame for most owners owning a machine. I will finish this off by saying that the only true test for these tracks are the test of time and from the looks of your machine its pretty new, so you have a lot of time left to get to that 10yr mark without having any motor/drivetrain problems. I really do hope my take on this is in fact wrong, and wish you many yrs of reliable use from these? -Cosmo p.s. we bought a Arctic Cat Bearcat snowmobile which is the atv's of snowmobiles, now I can choose which is better to use given the weather conditions and also I will now ride year round too.

Edited on 11/24/14 9:29 PM
Post Your Comment
11/10/14 @ 1:59 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
the price of it is a little extreme. i really have never had any trouble on snow covered lakes. with just regular tires.

Post Your Comment
10/10/14 @ 10:58 AM
FishLandOLakes
FishLandOLakes
USER since 10/10/14
99.9% of the folks who criticize ATV's with tracks don't own one. Yes they're slower than a sled, but they're faster than any wheeled atv in heavy snow and slush. Will they get stuck in slush, absolutely, the same slush that will sink a 4wd truck and a snowmobile.

I bought mine to use as a multi-purpose machine. In June my snowmobile isn't helping me pull stuff around or trail ride.

If you have the money, buy tracks and you will not regret it. or if you want to spend the money on a sled, go right ahead. It's your money, but you need to hear facts from people who own them, not conjecture from those who don't.

Post Your Comment
3/4/14 @ 5:34 PM
COSMO 1
COSMO 1
USER since 9/18/01
they are called J-wheelz, look them up on youtube and you'll see them in action

Edited on 3/4/14 5:47 PM
Post Your Comment
3/4/14 @ 5:30 PM
COSMO 1
COSMO 1
USER since 9/18/01
I don't remember what they are called. They are big plastic drums with fins on them, they attached to your rims on a 4 wheeler thus giving you a much bigger footprint in the snow, they seemed to work pretty good as far as the video and some of the talk on the forums too.....but can't think of there name.....old age I guess....lol

Post Your Comment
2/24/14 @ 10:57 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
From a Fire Dept. perspective, this is Not on snow but over difficult terrain with a neighbor Dept. both with heavy loads of water and personnel on a wildland fire call. The tracked vehicle got smoked. Both were 6x6 with about the same size engine, don't know their brand. Any time you add another moving part you add the chance to break it.

Post Your Comment
2/24/14 @ 2:36 PM
SHED HUNTER
SHED HUNTER
USER since 2/25/05
What size wheeler did you buy? My brother has a Can-am 650 and had tracks for it, I don't know what brand. He sold them. Like others have stated your top speed will be lowered greatly while your rpms will be rather high that equals lots of gas. He wasn't happy with how much snow it wouldn't go through. It got stuck in slush. If you'd like to see how they far in deep snow with slush check out the Willow Flowage fishing reports a few pages back there are a couple pics of one buried. He also had some problem's with a couple things breaking in the tracks not sure what. I won't lie he was rather hard on them plowed lots of snow with a big blade.

Edited on 2/24/14 3:19 PM
Post Your Comment
2/24/14 @ 12:05 PM
meestalubba
meestalubba
USER since 1/5/10
tracks are very expensive. you can get a pair of nice used snowmobiles and a maybe even a trailer for what a set of tracks cost.

Post Your Comment
2/22/14 @ 7:51 PM
ironwall
ironwall
USER since 5/30/02
A good quality set of tracks is worth every penny during every season. They really shine in winter. The only thing with them in you lose top end speed, and max out about 30-35. Depending on what brand you have. so you may what to pull them off during summer if you trail ride or ride fast. I have rode several with tracks on them.

Post Your Comment
2/22/14 @ 5:48 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
I think those tracks are more trouble than they are worth, never owned a set though. I would get tire chains. It's more difficult if you live up North with deeper snow, more suited for a snowmobile.

The other thing you can do is try to operate where it's packed down by others, not always doable I know.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts