SEARCH
MORE
ATVs

ATV switch to an UTV?

8/7/17 @ 6:07 AM
INITIAL POST
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I've been thinking about switching from my 2-up ATV, to a UTV (side-by-side) machine. 

Anyone do the switch lately & any regrets?  If so, what are they?

Thanks,

Big Mac 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts
2/2/20 @ 5:39 PM
Jeremy
User since 6/15/01

I have never owned an ATV.  I bought a new 2006 Mule 610 many years ago and just upgraded to the Mule Pro MX.  They are about the same length but the Pro MX is 8 inches wider, weighs 500 pounds more and the engine is close to 700cc when the 610 had 400cc

The Pro MX plows snow much better and gets around in the woods fairly well but any ATV would be more nimble

1/31/20 @ 6:01 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Forgot to mention  , where your going makes a big  difference  . High and dry  , soft , or really wet . UTVs  are usually lot heavier and will bury deeper . I can unstick my ATV with a hand come along . A UTV  will probably need a winch .

1/31/20 @ 1:35 PM
NMAN1
NMAN1
User since 12/30/18

Recently switched from 4x4 atv to honda pioneer 500

Have loved the p500. It is perfect size to fit on all atv trails. Same if not more capable then our old atv but much safer and more comffy.Also not even very expensive for new ones a few years old.

4/15/19 @ 5:37 AM
peanut09
User since 1/17/10

I have both as well. I mostly just use the atv for yard work. My honda pioneer is awesome and I use it for everything. The pioneer is mainly up north for 8 months and used everytime I'm there. It's used as a workhorse when it gets home too. It depends on your wants and needs I guess. I call them tools and not toys.

4/14/19 @ 9:18 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I have both.  They each have their place, but I find that I drive my Ranger more than my 4 wheeler.  I did put tracks and a cab and heat in the Ranger works great on the ice.

10/14/18 @ 12:44 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Howdy SwampHog 

It's Big Mac.

Good to see your still riding  

Big Mac 

10/12/18 @ 7:16 AM
SwampHog
User since 6/15/01

switch last year from my kaw to a CF Moto, got rid of the CF Moto and went to a Ranger 570, feels better for my hips but at times do miss my Kaw, in the long run the UTV  is better for me as we take camping trips with the machines

if you like running off the path mudding , fast running stay with the ATV , but if plan on trips with the machines the utv is best buy as it has more storage area. Both have advantages and disadvantages , it be up to you what you like and want to do.

10/5/18 @ 10:42 AM
DandE
User since 2/9/10

This looks better than the Shredder to me because I'm older... https://youtu.be/EaDE0RiEgdc

Called a Snowdog

9/24/18 @ 9:50 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I bought one 14 years ago when low on funds . 2 wheel drive , underpowered and the company went out of business  . Still use it for chores , and my daughter likes to drive it , and I'm happy it does have seat belts for her . 

9/22/18 @ 9:36 PM
LyleP
User since 6/27/09

Switched from two up to utv last year over pleased but can't take some places I hunt just too big.

9/22/18 @ 3:45 PM
Bowbuckman2
User since 9/22/18

No regrets what so ever. Have a 570. Love it. Plow with it. Picked up a General Love it! Do yard work with it and hunt and ice fish with it. Trail ride with it. It's a beast! Love it!!!

8/29/18 @ 6:52 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Just looked at the Shredder  . Looks like it could cripple you real easy . Might be fun on a open , level surface  .

8/28/18 @ 5:57 AM
Tomalexander
Tomalexander
User since 8/24/18

I have an ATV that I like too much specially while going for an offroad drive with my friends. One of my friends also likes to drive newly evolved ATV vehicles.

While our last outing we saw an awesome crossover ATV called DTV shredder which is a mix of snowboarding, skateboarding, surfing and jet skiing. I rode it the whole day & I found the experience was very thrilling as the DTV Shredder is very fast. It was one of a kind experience to drive DTV shredder & I am looking forward to buying it. In my opinion, every ATV enthusiast should try it once.

11/14/17 @ 12:26 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

I'll agree with the general consensus of intended use. My family's cabin has a pole barn with 8 units in it currently. Ranging from an old Yamaha 350 Big Bear, 2008 450 Grizzly, 2006 660 Grizzly, 2010 & 2012 700 Grizzly, 2007 Honda Rancher 420, 2010 Honda Rincon, and a 2014 Can Am Commander 800 XT.

For trail riding or adventuring I prefer handle bars to a steering wheel. As has been mentioned I think they're generally easier to maneuver and get in and out of places, especially if you have an ATV with electric power steering. The UTV on the other hand has much better creature comforts. A windshield alone makes the UTV a joy during hunting and ice fishing season and if you pop for any type of enclosure system (soft or hard side) and a heater there's no comparison.

If I'm forced to choose one I'd go UTV solely based on my opinion that they are more comfortable during fall and winter time use. Keep in mind my point of view is these are a utilitarian vehicles and not a fun time entertainment toys, although they can be used as such. Also, track systems are available for a wide variety of units these days.

Edited to add, It's also an opinion of mine that big ATVs are more off-road capable, not sure if that's the right word. If you're big into spending lots of time off the beaten path stick with your ATV.

8/30/17 @ 11:46 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I recently sold my ATV and got 2 UTV's.  We started trail riding and went with Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail model.  They are not so much for utility use, but actually riding.  They are only 50" wide, I think my ATV was about 45-48 so not much difference in that regard.  Longer though obviously. 

Pros - Seat belts, roll cage, easier/safer for small kids, foot pedal vs hand throttle, more comfortable for long trips, sitting position like a car.

Cons - Longer, heavier, louder.

If I were to use one for hunting I'd probably choose an ATV though, I just don't use one for that anymore.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE