ATV switch to an UTV?

8/7/17 @ 5:07 AM
ORIGINAL POST
big mac
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

I've been thinking about switching from my 2-up ATV, to a UTV (side-by-side) machine. 

Anyone do the switch lately & any regrets?  If so, what are they?

Thanks,

Big Mac 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
11/14/17 @ 11:26 AM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
USER since 1/6/17

I'll agree with the general consensus of intended use. My family's cabin has a pole barn with 8 units in it currently. Ranging from an old Yamaha 350 Big Bear, 2008 450 Grizzly, 2006 660 Grizzly, 2010 & 2012 700 Grizzly, 2007 Honda Rancher 420, 2010 Honda Rincon, and a 2014 Can Am Commander 800 XT.

For trail riding or adventuring I prefer handle bars to a steering wheel. As has been mentioned I think they're generally easier to maneuver and get in and out of places, especially if you have an ATV with electric power steering. The UTV on the other hand has much better creature comforts. A windshield alone makes the UTV a joy during hunting and ice fishing season and if you pop for any type of enclosure system (soft or hard side) and a heater there's no comparison.

If I'm forced to choose one I'd go UTV solely based on my opinion that they are more comfortable during fall and winter time use. Keep in mind my point of view is these are a utilitarian vehicles and not a fun time entertainment toys, although they can be used as such. Also, track systems are available for a wide variety of units these days.

Edited to add, It's also an opinion of mine that big ATVs are more off-road capable, not sure if that's the right word. If you're big into spending lots of time off the beaten path stick with your ATV.

Edited on 11/14/17 11:46 AM
Post Your Comment
8/30/17 @ 10:46 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I recently sold my ATV and got 2 UTV's.  We started trail riding and went with Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail model.  They are not so much for utility use, but actually riding.  They are only 50" wide, I think my ATV was about 45-48 so not much difference in that regard.  Longer though obviously. 

Pros - Seat belts, roll cage, easier/safer for small kids, foot pedal vs hand throttle, more comfortable for long trips, sitting position like a car.

Cons - Longer, heavier, louder.

If I were to use one for hunting I'd probably choose an ATV though, I just don't use one for that anymore.

Post Your Comment
8/25/17 @ 7:41 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15

Have a family that enjoys the outdoors. Switched from atv to utv last year. Has pluses and minus's. But for me and my family. Well worth it. Traveling 2 up on green bay for 7 miles fishing sold my wife on a utv easily. Bottom line depends on what you do. 

Post Your Comment
8/25/17 @ 8:36 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
USER since 2/13/17

I went the opposite way. The UTV was too big for my garage and for ice fishing, just too heavy.

Went with a ATV with Tracks instead and never looked back.

Post Your Comment
8/7/17 @ 6:40 AM
Goosecaller
Goosecaller
MEMBER since 7/21/01

I have both. Each has their place.

The UTV is a bit clumsy, but if you want to throw a chainsaw and a bunch of other stuff in the back to go do some trail work or something, you cannot beat a UTV. The ATV is way more nimble and can get into tight spots etc. So I guess you just have to figure what you use yours for and go from there...

Post Your Comment