2008 Sportsman 500 electric start

2/1/16 @ 1:38 AM
ORIGINAL POST
old warrior
old warrior
USER since 7/29/07
I have a 2008 Sportsman 500EFI HO. Last January, 2015, I had the problem off no electric, no dash light, nothing when turning on the key. That problem was solved, Just cleaned contact between wires and battery post. Now I have a new issue. Was running flawless until this past week. When turning key on, dash lights up, but no electric start, no clicking, nothing. Pull starts and runs perfect. Can it be as simple as cleaning the contact between wiring and starter motor?. I switched batteries to a new, same battery from 2008. Battery is fully charged with the same results. All fuses located under front trunk are good. All comments are welcomed. Old Warrior Sad
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 Posts
2/1/16 @ 9:49 PM
ken88
ken88
USER since 4/24/07
take a known good battery and jumper cables. touch the positive to your starter. If it does not crank it is your starter. If no crank use a volt meter and look for 12 volts from you starter while start button is pushed. next on your solenoid (likely issue)one side should be hot (12 v) all the time. the other side only when start button is pushed (you are looking at the 2 larger wires # 6 or #8. if that is not it your start button goes to the coil side of the solenoid (small wires)and supplies low amps to energize the solenoid.

Really only 3 parts to check. Battery, solenoid and starter. The switch won't go bad unless you induced water into it

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 8:45 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15
Had an issue with my buddy's polaris. Kinda similar. Key on. Lights came on. No power to fuel pump. Wouldn't turn over ect. Ended up replacing ecu. Recommend you getting a test light or dvom and ck person and gets to ecu

Post Your Comment