2008 Polaris Sportsman quit

1/8/15 @ 9:20 PM
ORIGINAL POST
old warrior
old warrior
USER since 7/29/07
I am looking for some insight into my problem. My 2008 Sportsman 500 efi quit on me. Just shut off when I was plowing driveway. Turned key off and back on, nothing. Dash didn't light up and machine didn't make usual noise when you turn key on before starting. I tried pull starting, but never fired. I thought it was the battery, but it tested fine. I winched it on trailer and brought it home. 2 days later I brought it to local atv shop. They couldn't find anything wrong and started right up for them. They changed fluids and filters. They did mention Polaris had bad wiring harnesses in 2008 and 2009. The wire coating cracks. A new wiring harness cost $500, plus $300 for labor = $800. It has 930 miles and 118 hours. Always stored indoors year round. I had it out twice since picking it up from shop and worked flawless. The 3rd time ice fishing started out normal, but after 2 moves, it wouldn't start. 6 miles out on the lake and I was sick. So now I have a 750 pound, really nice boat anchor. Any "non smartass" comments are welcomed. Update 1/25/2015Tounge OutPolaris is ALIVE. Smile I removed body and found no evidence of mouse tampering, whew. Hooked up battery charger and battery said fully charged. I turned on key and Sportsman would act normal and start. Unplugged charger from outlet, but left charger clamps on battery post. Atv still acted normal and would start. So I removed charger, positive and negative wires from battery and filed/sanded wire connectors and battery post. I applied dielectric grease to all and Polaris seems fixed. Thank you all for advise. For once in my life I seem to have gotten by cheaply. Now if I could just figure the fish out on Poygan. Big Smile
Edited on 1/25/15 5:07 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
1/29/15 @ 7:22 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
USER since 2/12/02
My 2007 Polaris 500 HO would not start ....no instraments , nad nothing. Then the next day worked fine. Then the following day ....nothing. Ended up being the ECM. Not to hard to replace yourself. The ECMs have been a problem and a recall was done on a number of years due to fire hazzard. Polaris said mine was not covered so I paid for it myself.

Post Your Comment
1/22/15 @ 7:32 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15
Put an ecm in my brothers machine for a similar issue. His is an 07 sportsman

Post Your Comment
1/14/15 @ 8:45 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
sounds a lot like when i cut a battery cable on mine.

Post Your Comment
1/14/15 @ 3:02 PM
poptop
poptop
USER since 10/1/03
with everything dead it sounds like a main power issue even tho you checked the battery it is still suspect. i would try a different battery. also check the connections especially the frame ground.did you just test voltage on the battery or did you have it load tested.plowing can put a strain on the battery and charging system.

Post Your Comment
1/12/15 @ 7:27 AM
Goosecaller
Goosecaller
MEMBER since 7/21/01
Try Nyrocatv.com. Go to the forums for Polaris Sportsman. You will find a wealth of info on there.

Post Your Comment
1/9/15 @ 7:18 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
sounds a lot like when had a bad battery cable

Post Your Comment
1/9/15 @ 6:25 AM
Fisher Doon
Fisher Doon
USER since 1/19/09
Did it do anything strange before it happened? Things going screwy on your gauge pod, handlebar controls or headlights not working?

Unfortunately for you it sounds like a bad ECM, or electronic control module which is basically the brain for your machine. My 2007 Sportsman 500 has went through 3 of them, luckily for me mine have been warrantied. The problem is where they are mounted, there is little protection from dirt and water.

I also had fuel injection wiring harnesses go bad more than once, but the machine still ran and functioned, it just backfired a lot and lost power.

Good luck. FD

Edited on 1/9/15 6:27 AM
Post Your Comment
1/9/15 @ 6:15 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Hey Warrior, That really sucks being stuck out on the lake. Been there. Mechanics have a tough time fixing something that operates correctly when you get it to the shop. Here is some suggestions, but I'm sure there are many more:

Trade ATV into the same dealer for a used or new one. Try and make a deal with the shop that you will change out the harness, but if that's not the problem, they will trouble shoot it further for free if that's not the problem. You would then be stuck with the harness, but they did say they had problems with the originals anyways. It's a tough call because you need something dependable when it's cold out there. Good luck, and maybe someone else has some ideas.

Post Your Comment